Joe Straus Launches PAC, Trump, Abbott, Goeb, Cruz Fans Will Not Be Pleased

atomheartbevo

https://www.texastribune.org/2019/06/26/Joe-Straus-new-political-action-committee/

The group, called Texas Forever Forward, said it believes "Texas should embrace diversity and promote inclusive, non-discriminatory policies and laws."

Former Texas House Speaker Joe Straus, a San Antonio Republican, announced Wednesday he was launching a new political action committee that he said will aim to help him continue to carry out "a thoughtful, responsible approach to governing."

The group, Texas Forever Forward, will be chaired by Straus, who said in a news release he will contribute $2.5 million from his old campaign account to the new initiative. Former Texas Supreme Court Chief Justice Wallace B. Jefferson will serve as treasurer of the group.

"We are launching this effort because I believe Texas needs leaders who are forward-looking and dedicated to bringing creative, problem-solving ideas to the new challenges our state faces as our population rapidly grows," Straus said in a statement. "It's time to unite Texas in civic participation and ensure our next decades are the very best in our long, proud journey."

Wednesday’s announcement keeps Straus’ name in the political arena as he leaves the door open to running for higher office in 2022, a person familiar with the former speaker’s thinking told The Texas Tribune.

Texas Forever Forward indicated it will support candidates and causes that align with Straus and his leadership style. A news release states that the group believes "Texas should embrace diversity and promote inclusive, non-discriminatory policies and laws," and that "public education is our greatest economic development tool, and it’s critical to make meaningful, sustainable investments in Texas students."

Be interesting to see if/what he decides to run for.  If the Texas GOP takes a hit next year, and it will on some level, he's liable to persuade some of the BMDs to side with him when they see the Goeb wing having problems winning.

Interesting.  Lot of Chamber of Commerce type Republicans that realize this is necessary to maintain a party going forward, but never actually pony up the money to take on the crazies.  Good for him for trying, but the infection is already to the bone in the Republican Party. 

8 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

I dont completely trust Strauss however

You shouldn't. He's not putting up $2 million because its the right thing to do, he wants to keep taxes low/regulation low etc. (unless you want to argue the merits of having two healthy parties in this country as a political necessity). He's putting up $2 million because the writing is on the wall for the next two insanely large voting blocks of generations coming up.  If R's can't try to save some face in the racist/bigot/anti-everyone different arena, they're fucked for the future.  

Edited by Dertyberd

I was gonna donate $10,000 but I realized I can't spare it and my credible knowledge of Dan Patrick gargling cock is probably worth a lot more than $10,000. 

10 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I was gonna donate $10,000 but I realized I can't spare it and my credible knowledge of Dan Patrick gargling cock is probably worth a lot more than $10,000. 

Did you have to straddle the chair?

• Like 1

Well, for that kinda money...it'd have to be your chair.  Not that I'm saying you have a chair.  I mean, we all have chairs.  Just comes down to how we sit.  Amitire?  

1 hour ago, Zombie said:

Straus is a good guy. I probably disagree with him on 80% of issues, but you know you're dealing with an honorable person when you engage him. 

Kinda how I feel about it. Yeah, I'll likely disagree with him on most policies but I do think there's room for a healthy and sane conservative party in this state. Just by being in favor of inclusion and public education would a huge win for the state.

46 minutes ago, Lobo said:

This is the most TheCruiser thing I’ve ever read 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Well after the other thing, I had the $10,000.  But you know how the cash just goes...

I once worked with an elderly busboy who said he knew this freak who paid him $100 to take a dump on his chest. I wanted to know if that was $100 before or after taxes. The reply was roughly "ain't no tax for takin shit on dude chess."

1 hour ago, Dertyberd said:

You shouldn't. He's not putting up $2 million because its the right thing to do, he wants to keep taxes low/regulation low etc. (unless you want to argue the merits of having two healthy parties in this country as a political necessity). He's putting up $2 million because the writing is on the wall for the next two insanely large voting blocks of generations coming up.  If R's can't try to save some face in the racist/bigot/anti-everyone different arena, they're fucked for the future.  

Plus he's got the money sitting around doing nothing right now.  Texas probably won't flip next year (although Trump is trying his hardest), but some areas are going to, and Straus gets to waltz in as the sane Republican while Goeb, Cruz, etc. lose their shit and scream even more about who is using what bathroom.

Plus, if the GOP really takes a hit next year, Straus could easily gun for Goeb's seat in 2022.

Gerrymandering will get worse before it gets better but Joe sees something that Governor Abbott doesn’t see.  

After you’re done bragging about all the companies you “brought” to Texas, remember all you really did was bring tens of thousands of coastal expats to what is already a purple state.  And they spread themselves out from exurbs, to suburbs, to urban cores.  And they bring a history of high voter turnout for Democrats (people that are relocated for work are 3x more likely to vote than the ones that stay out).  Those 150 people moving to Austin each day, along with 125 to Houston, and 100 to DFW, and 100 to San Antonio?  They’re moving all over these metro areas and they’re mostly Democrats, you can’t draw district lines around that because they spread out with difficult patterns. Between that and the fact that our booming Hispanic population is also breaking with tradition finally and moving away from where they grew up, you can’t draw your way around that problem.  Straus knows this and has decided the better option is make a moderate Republican pitch to these people instead of trying to draw your way to a solution because too many Democrats are moving here and too many Hispanics are getting to voting age 

• 1 month later...