2019 Texas Volleyball

Js1

May as well get this started. Less than 3 months from the Orange-White Scrimmage about just about 3 months from our first match against Northern Iowa.

2019 non-conf schedule includes:

Northern Iowa
USC
Minny
@ Stanford
BYU (neutral)
A&M

Micaya White is the preseason Big 12 POY
Skylar Fields is the preseason Big 12 co-FOY
Butler, Eggleston and White are preseason All Big 12

Can we serve and pass?
Who will primarily set?
Who replaces Morgan in the middle and Yazzie on the RS?

• 5 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Hard Times said:

It's hard to determine anything from a scrimmage that includes a number of players not even on the team. One team didn't even have a setter on the roster. That said, this team will only go as far as the passing and setting takes them.

Add "serving" and that is the story of Elliott's career. 

2 hours ago, Goodman said:

Add "serving" and that is the story of Elliott's career. 

It's only been last three, four years serving has been bad.

Up til 2016, Texas had a pretty good ace to errors ratio and most of the serves weren't lollipops. The only bad regular server I can remember would have been Dalton.

On 8/19/2019 at 2:00 PM, Aleemay said:

It's only been last three, four years serving has been bad.

Up til 2016, Texas had a pretty good ace to errors ratio and most of the serves weren't lollipops. The only bad regular server I can remember would have been Dalton.

Which points pretty directly to a coaching loss.  Salima?  I forget the changes and timing.

14 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Not so far.  Very young lineup with Molly Phillips and Asjia ONeal getting a lot of minutes. Fields with a few also.

Lots of Hahn, no Rounsaville.  Hahn allegedly vastly improved.

We're very young. Starting 6 underclassmen including 3 FR. This is a brutal nonconference schedule so this should be interesting. 

Would UNI be the 2nd best team in the Big 12? I think they  would be. This is why you have to schedule like this in nonconference because the Big 12 is so bad as a volleyball conference. 

Actually, a good match up for the first match assuming we win. UNI is a good team but not dominant (fringe top 25 type team). This is the type test these young players need before the next 4 matches. 

2 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Would UNI be the 2nd best team in the Big 12? I think they  would be. This is why you have to schedule like this in nonconference because the Big 12 is so bad as a volleyball conference. 

Actually, a good match up for the first match assuming we win. UNI is a good team but not dominant (fringe top 25 type team). This is the type test these young players need before the next 4 matches. 

Yeah, I was going to say, better than most of the Big XII.

That will be a quality win at the end of the year. The broadcasters are right UNI will win a lot of matches. Skylar Fields and Hahn both looked good.  

This young team is about to be thrown into the fire in the next 4 matches. We need Butler back because we're lacking experience all over the court. 

Edited by texasstrong12

6 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I might guess that we are going to get torched in this early schedule, fall into the teens, and be a bit of a spoiler later in post-season. 

Maybe but we're substantially more talented and better than every team on the schedule after these next 4 matches. Not saying we will run the table but if we win a couple of these next 4 we probably aren't losing many matches. 

It would be nice if Baylor could live up to their #20 ranking so there's a challenge in the Big 12 and potential resume wins. 

I think for this to happen we would have to get swept in these next 4 which is entirely possible based on the competition and how young we are. 

Edited by texasstrong12