2019 Texas Volleyball

Js1

11 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Missed serve after missed serve after missed serve after missed serve

Macaya serving reminds me of Haley serving. Everyone likes to ooh and aah over a hard serve, but the last time I checked the team with the most points wins the set and match. 3 aces vs 5 SE’s isn’t going to cut it, and it wouldn’t even be 3 aces against a good team. Just like back then when Haley had about the worst serve point win % on the team and easy serving Hannah had the best. It’s the same now with Macaya and Claire.

I still don’t know how in the hell you get a foot fault, and that’s multiple ones now. In all my years of watching Texas VB I can’t ever remember an opposing team having a foot fault.  Back up a couple of feet, especially when all your serves keep going long. That also applies to almost everyone else on the team. Even the KSU girl that had 2 aces was serving from about 10 ft behind the line. Yes, the ball may slow down a bit more, but there’s also more movement as it tails off making it hard to adjust too. I’ve played enough VB myself to know a hard flat serve is easy to pass.

There’s a number of questions I’d like to ask this team, but are they even being taught how to serve, or just berated for not serving well? Seeing a lot of poor technique certainly makes me wonder. They seem to do fine in warm ups when the pressure is off though. Like said in the post above, serving is one of the easiest things to do in VB and I bet most of our players served better in HS. I just don’t get it.

Not attacking 2 handed put overs is another one. What good does it do to give them a 2 handed put over right back? Do they like getting their face tattooed? Just like an overpass, that ball should be going back so hard it puts a fucking hole in the floor. And when they do have to do the 2 handed put over, can’t they at least put it in a back corner?

I guess I needed to vent a little. But I just don’t see this team going very far playing like they did last night. KSU is horrible.

I've learned to live with the serving.  

Also, I take very little away from last night.  Why? Because we play down to everyone that isn't a top 10 team.  Guarantee we will look really fucking good against Baylor both times we play them, win or lose.  And then we will look like shit against Texas Tech or OU or Kansas and still win. 

Here's the thing about serving - if you eliminate all the errors, you eliminate all the aces.  The receiving team gets first shot at winning the point.  If you serve underhand and get rid of all service errors (and aces), the opponent's side-out percentage is going to go way up because you're just giving them nothing but free balls.  Do tennis players do this at the elite level?  NO.  They serve aggressively to try to get ahead in the point as soon as possible.  This is the state of the game these days when you have a bunch of DSs and Liberos receiving every serve.  You have to make them work for it.

Don't get me wrong.  It's frustrating as shit watching Micaya/Logan pound serves into the net.  The reason Elloitt is okay with those is 3-fold:  1) she's going to get an ace for every couple of errors;  2) a non-ace non-error serve is highly likely to put the opponent out of system immediately;  3)  one good pass after a service error and we side-out and are serving again.

Would you believe me if I said Micaya and Logan are much better than they were last season and Peterson (who commits fewer errors) is the one who is serving poorly?  Here are the numbers:

2018:  Micaya - 71 errors vs. 21 aces for a 3.4 ratio        Logan - 49 errors vs. 22 aces for a 2.2 ratio      Sydney - 31 errors vs. 23 aces for a 1.2 ratio

2019:  Micaya - 28 errors vs. 13 aces for a 2.1 ratio        Logan - 38 errors vs. 21 aces for a 1.8 ratio      Sydney - 20 errors vs. 3 aces for a 6.7 ratio

As a team, were at 139 errors vs. 58 aces on the season for a 2.4 ratio.  By comparison, Stanford is at 103/54 = 1.9 ratio.  Baylor is at 92/46 = 2.0 ratio.  Nebraska is at 108/50 = 2.16 ratio.  The aggies might one of the best serving teams in the country.  They're at 137/84 = 1.6 ratio

These numbers show that we're one of the more aggressive serving teams, but we are not by any means as bad as we fans seem to think.

TL/DR:  we don't suck that bad; don't shoot the messenger

• Like 4

Would you believe me if I said Micaya and Logan are much better than they were last season and Peterson (who commits fewer errors) is the one who is serving poorly?

Yes.  I have noticed how bad Syd's serve has been.  For a libero, it's unacceptable.

• Like 1

Hmm.  I agree from an observational standpoint that it's better than last year, but would still say it's a problem.  And agree that Peterson is problematic.  Eggleston seems to embody an acceptable risk/reward ratio, without looking at her stats.  

Also, we seem to fuck up serves at the most inopportune times.

Some comparison numbers.

Hollann Hans 43 errors, 20 aces. 2.15

Kate Formico 22 errors, 12 aces.  1.66 (Furd overall 54 aces, 103 errors. 1.91 ).

Minnesota spreads it around, 65 errors, 45 aces. 1.44

Nebraska 108 errors, 50 aces. 2.16

Texas 139 errors, 58 aces.  2.4

We are, overall, a more aggressive serving team, apparently, than the above.  But we still have a bad ratio and give away a lot of points.

Shit, I didn't finish reading your post so I didn't see the cumulative and comparative numbers.

Edited by TwiceHorn

Besides serving, setting the middles is still a huge problem.  I think Jhenna is still figuring that part out, because all 3 require/desire their sets at different spots.  She's good with Brionne (because of last season) and still figuring out where Molly and O'Neal want it.  Shook consistently would/does set Brionne too low. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pogo said:

Here's the thing about serving - if you eliminate all the errors, you eliminate all the aces.  The receiving team gets first shot at winning the point.  If you serve underhand and get rid of all service errors (and aces), the opponent's side-out percentage is going to go way up because you're just giving them nothing but free balls.  Do tennis players do this at the elite level?  NO.  They serve aggressively to try to get ahead in the point as soon as possible.  This is the state of the game these days when you have a bunch of DSs and Liberos receiving every serve.  You have to make them work for it.

Don't get me wrong.  It's frustrating as shit watching Micaya/Logan pound serves into the net.  The reason Elloitt is okay with those is 3-fold:  1) she's going to get an ace for every couple of errors;  2) a non-ace non-error serve is highly likely to put the opponent out of system immediately;  3)  one good pass after a service error and we side-out and are serving again.

Would you believe me if I said Micaya and Logan are much better than they were last season and Peterson (who commits fewer errors) is the one who is serving poorly?  Here are the numbers:

2018:  Micaya - 71 errors vs. 21 aces for a 3.4 ratio        Logan - 49 errors vs. 22 aces for a 2.2 ratio      Sydney - 31 errors vs. 23 aces for a 1.2 ratio

2019:  Micaya - 28 errors vs. 13 aces for a 2.1 ratio        Logan - 38 errors vs. 21 aces for a 1.8 ratio      Sydney - 20 errors vs. 3 aces for a 6.7 ratio

As a team, were at 139 errors vs. 58 aces on the season for a 2.4 ratio.  By comparison, Stanford is at 103/54 = 1.9 ratio.  Baylor is at 92/46 = 2.0 ratio.  Nebraska is at 108/50 = 2.16 ratio.  The aggies might one of the best serving teams in the country.  They're at 137/84 = 1.6 ratio

These numbers show that we're one of the more aggressive serving teams, but we are not by any means as bad as we fans seem to think.

I think we all know the purpose of a tough serve. As I mentioned before though, the most important statistic of all is did you win the point or not? And you don’t include that anywhere in your stats. I don’t remember if it was LHN or another one that posted a stat during a match showing Texas was winning a higher % of points with Claire serving than anyone else. Yet her serve is almost a free ball and she still has some aces too.

What I don’t agree with is that serving basically free balls will greatly increase the other teams side out %. Because a. teams still screw up free balls, b. Texas has great blocking and defense, c. good teams aren’t taken out of system by Micaya’s serve, d. a SE is a free point without the other team having to do anything. I think Texas would have a higher serve point win % if they had no errors and no aces even if I don’t have the stats to prove it. The stats you did post show Texas is actually 50% worse than the aggy’s on SE’s/SA’s, and that’s actually pretty damn bad. It’s even 11% worse than Neb. SE's seem to be one of the things that keep inferior opponents in the match playing Texas.

Although I don’t have the stats for this year I do remember when Hannah Allison, who basically had a free ball serve, had a higher point win % than Haley E, because of all of Haley’s SE’s. Point win % is like hitting %, you have to subtract the errors from the kills.

And it’s certainly no secret Sydney is struggling, which is completely illogical. So I have to wonder if the coaches have screwed up her technique or if they have affected her emotionally.

• Like 2

There's no question that we need to get better from the service line.  I just don't think it's realistic to hope we get significantly better.

Just for kicks, what do teams who know they are playing the best of the best do?  The answer is they press.  A LOT!

On the season, our opponents are at 118 errors vs. 45 aces on the season for a 2.6 ratio.  Stanford's opponents are at 84/24 = 3.5 ratio.  Baylor's are at 113/42 = 2.7 ratio.  Nebraska's are at 120/47 = 2.55 ratio.  All of those are worse than our ratio.

Okay, I found the stat that says we suck.  I might have just made it up - points gained serving = your aces + opponent errors - (your errors + opponent aces)

Points gained serving for the 2019 season so far:

Texas: -8    Stanford:  +11   Nebraska:  +15     Baylor:  +25     Aggy:  +55     Rice:  +10

Ouch!  That is going to be a problem if we don't clean it up.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Rotations also matter when it comes to who is serving 

Always find it interesting that our best serving rotation is with Hahn at the line because, even if she has a tough serve, that rotation is with Gabriel at the net blocking and only 2 hitters - which I would say is where we are weaker. 

I agree that serving aggressively is important, especially against the tougher teams to keep them out of system. I am also okay with "good miss" service errors that accompany an agressive serving game plan; however, it seems that there is no plan B when a server is missing a lot of serves - especially in close matches. IMO, It is slightly surprising that Eggleston, White, and even O'Neal go back to the service line and continue to attempt their aggressive serve when they have been off all night and it is a close match. Sometimes you have to just get it in, play defense, and hope the other team makes a mistake. 

Looking forward to Baylor - both teams have played 44 sets -  Baylor has 92 service errors and 46 aces all season (average 1.0 aces per set). Texas has 139 service errors and 58 aces all season (average 1.3 aces per set). Texas has only had 2 matches where errors were under 10 (both had 9 SE), and Baylor has only had 2 matches where errors were 10 or over (one had 13 and one had 10). 

Side note: I am glad Agbaji got some playing time in front of her home state crowd!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hard Times said:

Texas was winning a higher % of points with Claire serving than anyone else. Yet her serve is almost a free ball and she still has some aces too.

30 minutes ago, texfan11 said:

Always find it interesting that our best serving rotation is with Hahn at the line because, even if she has a tough serve, that rotation is with Gabriel at the net blocking and only 2 hitters - which I would say is where we are weaker

I remember Sunderland talking about this as well, and I don't get it either.  Unless she has some wicked floater that you just can't tell how good it is on tv.

On 10/10/2019 at 10:35 AM, Pogo said:

Texas' goal for side out % is 66%.  Any team that can win 1/3 of their service points is doing well.  In serving, that translates to anything lower than a 2:1 ratio of errors to aces being really good.

23 hours ago, Js1 said:

Besides serving, setting the middles is still a huge problem.  I think Jhenna is still figuring that part out, because all 3 require/desire their sets at different spots.  She's good with Brionne (because of last season) and still figuring out where Molly and O'Neal want it.  Shook consistently would/does set Brionne too low. 

Timing is much harder and more important with middle attack.  You can't just throw up a 3 ball like you can to the pins.  Texas has a problem there since there are 2 first year starters at MB and the only returning player at that position missed so much practices and is still limited by injury.  Not surprising that there would be a lot of issues with that in play.  It really limits the offense and allows opposing teams' blockers to focus on the outside.  Brionne has been devastating in limited action and the freshmen have done well with their opportunities.  Jhenna doesn't use them enough because she's not confident in the timing yet.

On 10/11/2019 at 10:52 AM, sushihorn said:

Timing is much harder and more important with middle attack.  You can't just throw up a 3 ball like you can to the pins.  Texas has a problem there since there are 2 first year starters at MB and the only returning player at that position missed so much practices and is still limited by injury.  Not surprising that there would be a lot of issues with that in play.  It really limits the offense and allows opposing teams' blockers to focus on the outside.  Brionne has been devastating in limited action and the freshmen have done well with their opportunities.  Jhenna doesn't use them enough because she's not confident in the timing yet.

I think there's 2 different types of set you can do for the middles. You can do a normal set like for the OH's, or you can try for a quick set/kill before the defense can get in position. In the 2nd one Brionne is tall enough where she doesn't even have to jump. It seems like Jhenna is often doing something in between which results in bad timing for either one. Hopefully this will get better with more work together and better communication.

So either one of you is Jerritt or Erik or one of you knows them.  The two things we've been talking about here were drastically improved (for at least 1 match) on Saturday.  11 aces vs. 9 errors and the middles hitting a combined .444!   Jhenna is really starting to get some good timing with O'Neal and Butler.  I'm now convinced Hahn has a filthy floater that she can put different movements on at will.  Now let's see if we can take that show on the road once before getting Baylor at home.

Edited by Pogo

Elite recruiting has not stopped our staff from failing to develop which leads to lack of consistency in playing sound & smart. This has been the 19 year Jarritt trademark. 

Very grateful for what he’s built but man, he’s missed some great opportunities to have at least 4 more titles.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Goodman said:

Elite recruiting has not stopped our staff from failing to develop which leads to lack of consistency in playing sound & smart. This has been the 19 year Jarritt trademark. 

Very grateful for what he’s built but man, he’s missed some great opportunities to have at least 4 more titles.

Really? At least 4 more? Or maybe those other teams like Penn state were also great. I’m glad you’re a psychic though.

Edited by Sandlot

Def not 4. 2 or 3 I’d say  

(1) We should have won in 09 - what a collapse  

(2) We should have won at least one the years we got upset in the FF by Wisky/BYU 

(3) We should have won the year we met Nebraska in the finals 

2008 we would have been goat punched by Penn St. We were not winning against Inky in our last appearance when she single-handily took those freshman phenoms to the title

2011 could have been one in our backyard if not for the injury to Khat Bell. But that’s a part of the game 

48 minutes ago, Sandlot said:

Really? At least 4 more? Or maybe those other teams like Penn state were also great. I’m glad you’re a psychic though.

Of course they were talented but it has not just been psu beating us, they also had a decisive coaching advantage. How many times did we play in the final 4? How many of those years did we have the most talented team? How many of those did we prove to be best coached?  

Every time I state that over 19 years Jerritt has built something great here but he has also proven to not develop well, my opinion hurts a few feelings. It's an opinion, based on 19 years of data but still my opinion.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Goodman said:

Of course they were talented but it has not just been psu beating us, they also had a decisive coaching advantage. How many times did we play in the final 4? How many of those years did we have the most talented team? How many of those did we prove to be best coached?  

Every time I state that over 19 years Jerritt has built something great here but he has also proven to not develop well, my opinion hurts a few feelings. It's an opinion, based on 19 years of data but still my opinion.

Again, glad that you’re a psychic and knew that Texas was the most talented team because Jerritt recruits a bunch of highly touted OH, and MB’s every year but that’s just my opinion. And I’m still waiting for all the great 6 rotation players that come from other programs that are lined up to compete for the national team.

Edited by Sandlot

56 minutes ago, Hard Times said:

It is frustrating our players don't seem to be as well developed as other top teams. I have a feeling that's the main reason Lexi left. It certainly wasn't being homesick if she left for frozen over corn fields in Neb.

Her dad pushed her to leave. She hasn’t been that good at Nebraska compared to Texas. 

Maybe she’s just not a 6 rotation OH material. Definitely prefer Logan being here.  It wasn’t a trade, but a trade-off we won.

21 hours ago, Sandlot said:

Here’s something for those that think Jerritt is just the recruiting coordinator.

https://youtu.be/s9WZV_xYU_I

At the 1:00 mark, this is why Texas will never be a strong ball control team.

Jerritt coaches them to "play the ball high, 20 ft, and 10 ft off (the net)"...meaning the back row players are already planning to pass the ball near or behind the 3 meter line and therefore limiting options in the transition offense.  The only place the setter can put the ball is to the left pin (the typical Texas offense for the past decade). 

Even with hard driven balls, you still want to try to pass the ball 3-5 ft off the net, so that the setter can run an offense with more attack options and to keep the opposing defense guessing where the ball is going.  But he doesn't coach that and focuses so much more with blocking to slow down the ball (which, in itself, is a good thing).  

But when Texas starts facing opposing teams with elite hitters, the block becomes a non-factor and the weakness in passing/ball control is truly exposed (pretty much every post-season tournament run minus 2012 - but no team could really stop Haley/Bailey that year even though every team knew they were getting the ball).

Texas has had some of the most elite hitters in the country in recent history: Destinee Hooker, Juliann Faucette, Bailey Webster, Haley Eckerman, and Paulina Prieto-Cerame...but none of them could pass as a left-side hitter at the next level and because of that, most had their careers end early (all of them had to transition to the Opposite position after college but Hooker is the only one who made the move successful). 

Elliott has done so much for the Texas program, but this will always be the thing he is remembered for.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TexasDPT said:

Jerritt coaches them to "play the ball high, 20 ft, and 10 ft off (the net)"...meaning the back row players are already planning to pass the ball near or behind the 3 meter line and therefore limiting options in the transition offense.  The only place the setter can put the ball is to the left pin (the typical Texas offense for the past decade). 

Even with hard driven balls, you still want to try to pass the ball 3-5 ft off the net, so that the setter can run an offense with more attack options and to keep the opposing defense guessing where the ball is going.  But he doesn't coach that and focuses so much more with blocking to slow down the ball (which, in itself, is a good thing).  

But when Texas starts facing opposing teams with elite hitters, the block becomes a non-factor and the weakness in passing/ball control is truly exposed (pretty much every post-season tournament run minus 2012 - but no team could really stop Haley/Bailey that year even though every team knew they were getting the ball).

Texas has had some of the most elite hitters in the country in recent history: Destinee Hooker, Juliann Faucette, Bailey Webster, Haley Eckerman, and Paulina Prieto-Cerame...but none of them could pass as a left-side hitter at the next level and because of that, most had their careers end early (all of them had to transition to the Opposite position after college but Hooker is the only one who made the move successful). 

Elliott has done so much for the Texas program, but this will always be the thing he is remembered for.

So you're saying Jerrit is a big fan of this song:

5 hours ago, TexasDPT said:

And I’m still waiting for someone to give me ALL of the great left side hitters that were stars in college that could pass at the next level from Penn State, Nebraska, Minnesota, etc that are also flourishing on the U.S. or their respective countries National teams. I’ll wait.

Edited by Sandlot

On 10/17/2019 at 11:23 AM, Js1 said:

Her dad pushed her to leave. She hasn’t been that good at Nebraska compared to Texas. 

Maybe she’s just not a 6 rotation OH material. Definitely prefer Logan being here.  It wasn’t a trade, but a trade-off we won.

Agreed. I truly think Lexi (and her dad) were dead set on "6 rotation player or bust".  I have watched quite a few Nebraska matches this year, and she is probably the weakest in defense and serve receive. The other teams are specifically targeting her, and at times Nebraska has ended up "hiding" her in serve receive. Im honestly quite surprised she hasnt been subbed out, but she has pretty good serve and maybe Coach Cook doesnt want to upset Lexi or her dad.

Definitely worked out...Imagining having to choose between Logan, Skylar, Micaya, and Lexi - we likely would have lost one to lack of playing time anyways. Good win today (and only 4 service errors!) Hopefully the team gets some good practices in before Wednesday

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UrbanAchiever said:

With my apologies to a couple great Kansas teams, this feels like the biggest conference game since Nebraska was in the conference. 

It’s more like KU when they were really good. No offense to Baylor,  but they don’t have the history Nebraska did. 

Edited by Js1