2019 Texas Volleyball

Js1

1 minute ago, sunset87 said:

11 service errors? Yikes!

What happened to the team that served against Baylor.  Although, I guess that game was the anomaly not this one...

They weren't playing Baylor, for starters.

You know we play down to bad competition and up to good teams.  This should not surprise anyone in the Elliot era anymore.  The only surprising thing is how "meh" we've played against non-Baylor Big 12 teams and still only lost a single set in conference play so far, in our first conference match 40 days ago. 

Specifically, that 32-30 first set win against KSU, 27-25 second set win versus OU, 26-24 third set win versus WV.   Feels like quite a few Big 12 matches we've played from behind until about the time we hit 18 points and then we go on big runs. 

• Like 1

Both teams served like crap yesterday, but we cleaned up our passing.  As usual, we still scored a bunch with Hahn, Micaya, and Logan serving despite the lack of aces.  We didn't play down to them much with the exception of getting a little lazy before closing out the 2nd set.  When you side out around 70% and hit .384 vs. .146, you're doing fine.  I got tickets to senior night.  Hopefully we'll be coming off a win in Waco.

With A&M's entrance into the AVCA top 25, Texas is now:

2-1 versus the top 10 (W - Baylor, Minny; L - Tree)
3-2 versus the top 20 (W - Baylor, Minny, BYU; L - Tree, Rice)
4-2 versus the top 25 (W - Baylor, Minny, BYU, A&M; L - Tree, Rice)

In terms of the RPI:

3-1 versus the top 10 (W - Baylor, Minny, A&M; L - Tree)
5-2 versus the top 20 (W - Baylor, Minny, A&M, BYU, USC; L - Tree, Rice)
6-2 versus the top 25 (W - Baylor, Minny, A&M, BYU, USC, OU; L - Tree, Rice)

Also a win over #36 ISU and #47 UNI

Only Baylor has a better record versus the top 25 (8-1).  Texas is 10-2 versus the top 100, while Baylor is 14-1 and Wisky is 14-4.  Texas still has 3 more matches against top 50 teams - @ Baylor, @ OU, @ ISU.  

Also White (POW) and O'Neal (ROW) were awarded this week.

White has 2 POW awards
Pressley has 3
Brionne has 2

Fields has 4 Rookie of the Week awards
Molly has 1
Asija has 1 

Brionne has missed too many matches to be in contention for Player of the Year unless she goes on a huge tear.  It's really down to White and Pressley.  I think Fields has Rookie of the Year locked up. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Pogo said:

Is there a better Libero in the conference than Petersen?  I have to think she's high on that list.

In conference stats, she's #8 in dps.  Kinley, who was the only libero on the preseason All Big 12 team, is averaging over 5 dps.  Petersen is all the way at 3.23. 

If I had to call it right now -

POY - White or Pressley (White if Texas goes 2-0 versus Baylor, Pressley if its 1-1 based on kps)
Setter of the Year - Lockin (she's ahead of Gabriel in assists/set even though Baylor is #2 in hitting %)
Rookie of the Year - Fields
Libero of the Year - Kinley
Coach of the Year - has to be Baylor's coach

On 11/3/2019 at 1:27 PM, Js1 said:

🤘 so nice to be #1

Man, I know Stanford has had an extremely challenging schedule and Pitt’s strength of schedule is lacking; but IMO Pitt deserves a top 4 seed at this point in time. Currently, Pitt is #2 in the coaches poll and #4 in the RPI (both higher than tree), but Stanford is ranked above them for the tournament despite past reliance on RPI. Idk, if I was a Pitt fan, I would not be happy. 

I think Baylor is embarrassed and will be out for revenge, so I’m anticipating a closer match in Waco.

2 minutes ago, texfan11 said:

🤘 so nice to be #1

Man, I know Stanford has had an extremely challenging schedule and Pitt’s strength of schedule is lacking; but IMO Pitt deserves a top 4 seed at this point in time. Currently, Pitt is #2 in the coaches poll and #4 in the RPI (both higher than tree), but Stanford is ranked above them for the tournament despite past reliance on RPI. Idk, if I was a Pitt fan, I would not be happy. 

I think Baylor is embarrassed and will be out for revenge, so I’m anticipating a closer match in Waco.

Sure, let's talk about Pitt.

Pitt is 23-1 with an 11-1 non conf record (loss to PSU) and 12-0 in the ACC
3-1 versus the top 25 and 10-1 versus the top 50 - respectable 
However, the ACC is #5 in conference RPI
SOS - 46
Pitt's best win - #15 PSU
They also have 10 games in the 100+ range range

Stanford is 16-4 with a 6-2 non-conf record and an 8-1 conference record
6-4 versus the top 25 and 8-4 versus the top 50
The Pac-12 is the #1 RPI conference
SOS - 11
Stanford's best win - #2 Texas, but also have wins over #6 Nebraska and #10 Florida
They have only 4 games in the 100+ RPI range

Now, Pitt cannot help their conference (trust, the Big 12 is barely above the ACC, at #3), but their non-conf was not good (#32) compared to Tree (#1) - Tree chose to really test themselves in non-conference while also playing in the #1 RPI conference.  Tree faced Texas, Nebraska, Minnesota, Florida, Penn State, BYU all out of conference.   Of their 8 non-conference matches, 6 are in the top 16 of the RPI right now. Insane in the membrane. 

6 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Opinions on whether or not the girls can lose at Baylor and maintain a top 4 seed?

one loss to anyone left?

A loss to Baylor only and I think we still are. Especially Bc Wisky lost you tOSU tonight.  To anyone else but beat Baylor....ehhhh

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

If Texas is 23-3 or however many wins, and Baylor has 2 losses both to Texas, it would be interesting to see the explanation on Baylor getting in but Texas not.  

body of work and all, but those 2 matches would loom large. 

Texas 2-0 vs Baylor - #1 seed for Texas

Texas 1-1 vs Baylor and no other Big 12 losses for either team - #1 seed for Baylor Bc 1 loss and went undefeated in a salty non conference schedule 

Checking the new RPI - Texas still #2

Texas is 3-1 versus the top 10
Texas has an additional 2-1 record against #11-20
Texas has 2 wins over #26 OU (just outside the top 25)
ISU is sitting at #38 so that is still a good game for us
UNI is still holding in the top 50 so that's another good resume win as well 

Our remaining RPI opponents: #187 (KSU), #106 (TCU), #1 (Baylor), #136 (Kansas), #38 (ISU)

And still #1 in the AVCA with 50 first place votes.

1 - Texas (50)
2 - Pitt (12)
3 - Baylor (1)
4 - Tree (1)
5 Minnesota
6 Corn
7 Wisky
8 PSU
9 Marquette
10 Mormons

Rice is #21 and none of our other opponents are ranked.  SC and A&M and OU are all RV (28-30-31)

The ou play-by-play guy was an idiot, and the woman had to correct him on multiple occasions.  He acted shocked at our 10 service errors, but was clueless to the fact that any coach in the country would take 10 errors to accompany 10 aces.  I attribute our below avg hitting in Norman to Jhenna having a sub-par game.  She put too many sets too close to the net and couldn't set the middles consistently.  They only hit .167.

Looking forward, I'm surprised the match in Waco hasn't yet been picked up for TV.  It's still listed on Baylor's website as ESPN+.

12 minutes ago, Pogo said:

The ou play-by-play guy was an idiot, and the woman had to correct him on multiple occasions.  He acted shocked at our 10 service errors, but was clueless to the fact that any coach in the country would take 10 errors to accompany 10 aces.  I attribute our below avg hitting in Norman to Jhenna having a sub-par game.  She put too many sets too close to the net and couldn't set the middles consistently.  They only hit .167.

Looking forward, I'm surprised the match in Waco hasn't yet been picked up for TV.  It's still listed on Baylor's website as ESPN+.

Very few volleyball matches get late pickups for TV.  They set them before the season.  Between football and now basketball, volleyball is basically fourth fiddle.  And the NCAA soccer tournament is happening soon.

7 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Very few volleyball matches get late pickups for TV.  They set them before the season.  Between football and now basketball, volleyball is basically fourth fiddle.  And the NCAA soccer tournament is happening soon.

Yeah, it just sucks that we're not going to get to watch this.  If any match should get a late pickup, it's #1 vs. #3.