2019 Texas Volleyball

Js1

That was a much better performance than the one in Norman - better passing, setting, hitting, and blocking.  The jumbo package with White serving destroyed KSU in the second set.  Molly had a great game.  The question is why did she start?  I recorded it and didn't hear much commentary.  Did they ever mention O'Neal or why she didn't play?  I don't even remember any sideline TV shots of her.

Apparently Elliot discussed the name image likeness legislation by the NCAA last night. Mentioned we almost signed a Swedish player who would have been the best to ever play at Texas but she opted last minute for a contract in Italy. She’s now making over $1mm/year playing instead of 4 years for free at Texas. 

I think it’s Isabelle Haak. Huge miss for Texas due to $$

Just now, Pogo said:

That was a much better performance than the one in Norman - better passing, setting, hitting, and blocking.  The jumbo package with White serving destroyed KSU in the second set.  Molly had a great game.  The question is why did she start?  I recorded it and didn't hear much commentary.  Did they ever mention O'Neal or why she didn't play?  I don't even remember any sideline TV shots of her.

O’Neal was tending to a family thing. 

10 minutes ago, Pogo said:

Fair enough.  Glad is wasn't related to injury or discipline.

Both of the O’Neals were not in their normal seats last night. Jermaine missed the last home game and at KSU, Jermaine was there with (probably) his mom. Hopefully Asjia’s grandma is okay. 

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

Apparently Elliot discussed the name image likeness legislation by the NCAA last night. Mentioned we almost signed a Swedish player who would have been the best to ever play at Texas but she opted last minute for a contract in Italy. She’s now making over $1mm/year playing instead of 4 years for free at Texas. 

I think it’s Isabelle Haak. Huge miss for Texas due to $$

I didn't know volleyball players made that much. 

8 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Was Cat really the best Libero  we’ve Ever had? Not even one of our many Hawaiians?

Probably chosen Bc she’s the career digs holder. I’d say it should be Kisner.

But like Mira Topic is #1 in kills, kills per set, points, points per set, service aces and aces/set. That’s a big name left off. 

I know I've asked this before but unless the wheels fall off these last 3 conference matches, we should be in line to host BOTH weekend 1 & weekend 2 here in Austin, yes?  Meaning the 12/13-12/16 regionals?  

18 minutes ago, WBT said:

So #1 at #3 on Wednesday is going to be espn+ only?  Lame.

Volleyball is low priority in November on the television schedule between football and college basketball.  

Thankful I have ESPN+ now through the Disney+ bundle. 

Selection Show | Sunday, December 1, 2019
The NCAA Division I Women's Volleyball Championship bracket will be announced the Sunday before the first round of competition, time and network to be announced

First and Second Rounds | December 5 - 7, 2019
First and Second round competition will be held at 16 non-predetermined campus sites. At each campus site, four teams will compete in single-elimination first round competition. The two advancing teams then compete against each other in single-elimination second round competition at the same campus site. The winning team from each of the 16 second rounds advances to the regional round.

Regionals | December 13 - 14, 2019
Regionals for the NCAA Division I Women's Volleyball Championship will be held at four non-predetermined campus sites. At each site, four teams compete in single-elimination regional semifinal competition. The two advancing teams then compete against each other in single-elimination regional final. The winning team from each of the four regions will advance to the DI Women’s Volleyball Championship final site in Pittsburgh, Pa.

National Championship | December 19 and 21, 2019
The 2019 NCAA Division I Women's Volleyball Championship will be held at PPG Paints Arena in Pittsburgh, Pa. The National Semifinals will be held December 19, at 7 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. ET on ESPN. The National Championship will take place December 21, at 8 p.m. ET on ESPN2.

Read more: http://volleytalk.proboards.com/thread/79286/2019-ncaa-womens-volleyball-selection#ixzz65f5CO9qJ

Big ole match tonight in Waco! 

Also, 2020 Melanie Parra from Mexico re-affirmed her commitment.  She's probably still going through the Clearinghouse because she's an international student.  We (and Elliot) all know about her, but Elliot cannot say anything about her in public until she signs. 

Think of her as Amy Neal in size, but Sam Bricio (USC) in skill.  A 17 year old playing 6 rotations with Mexico's national team is pretty impressive. 

Couple other scouting notes on our 2020 class:

• Iosia is going to be the DS next year.  Mark it down.  With Hahn graduating, there is an immediate void.  Iosia is one of the best out-of-system setters in HS volleyball.  Her topspin jump serve is amazing.  She also has a float serve, so she can mix it up.  
  • Cabello won't play much, but she will gain experience on the bench and in blowouts (hopefully) to get experience for taking over for Gabriel in 2021. 
  • I hope Madison Williams make a full recovery from her ACL injury sustained last month.  With Micaya graduating, we need her alongside Logan at the OH spot.  Otherwise, the undersized but very skilled Parra will pair with Logan (and I am okay with this if Williams needs to RS to recover). 
  • With Iosia likely able to handle secondary setting, we can "go big" quite often, bringing in Molly to replace Jhenna in the front row and not miss a beat with Iosia setting out of the DS position. 

Nice quote from Jerritt:

When I asked Jerritt Elliott if Texas was now the hunted instead of the hunter, the UT coach pointed to the Longhorns logo on his shirt and said, “We’re always the hunted, whether we’re No. 1 or No. 30.” He was thrilled to see how emotionally restrained his players were when they faced Baylor the first time. “I was really impressed. They were calm. I think they’re pretty relentless. Now we’ve got to go on the road and see how they respect the opponent. We’ll have to play very steady and be emotionally stable on the road.”

https://www.statesman.com/sports/20191119/bohls-rhule-has-zero-plans-to-leave-baylor

3 hours ago, Js1 said:

Big ole match tonight in Waco! 

Also, 2020 Melanie Parra from Mexico re-affirmed her commitment.  She's probably still going through the Clearinghouse because she's an international student.  We (and Elliot) all know about her, but Elliot cannot say anything about her in public until she signs. 

Think of her as Amy Neal in size, but Sam Bricio (USC) in skill.  A 17 year old playing 6 rotations with Mexico's national team is pretty impressive. 

Couple other scouting notes on our 2020 class:

• Iosia is going to be the DS next year.  Mark it down.  With Hahn graduating, there is an immediate void.  Iosia is one of the best out-of-system setters in HS volleyball.  Her topspin jump serve is amazing.  She also has a float serve, so she can mix it up.  
  • Cabello won't play much, but she will gain experience on the bench and in blowouts (hopefully) to get experience for taking over for Gabriel in 2021. 
  • I hope Madison Williams make a full recovery from her ACL injury sustained last month.  With Micaya graduating, we need her alongside Logan at the OH spot.  Otherwise, the undersized but very skilled Parra will pair with Logan (and I am okay with this if Williams needs to RS to recover). 
  • With Iosia likely able to handle secondary setting, we can "go big" quite often, bringing in Molly to replace Jhenna in the front row and not miss a beat with Iosia setting out of the DS position. 

All good points.

Cabello is coming in this spring, so it will be interesting to see what happens at the setter position.  Does this mean Shook may be transferring since there will be 3 setters on the roster again? I still just don't see Shook beating out Gabriel (even with the little time she has had on the court, she still has trouble setting consistently to the left pin).  And if Cabello can set with good location to the pins and to Brionne, she just might beat Jhenna out of her spot... Michelle Kocher was the apparent heir at setter until Hannah Allison came early that spring and won the position.

But I really do like the idea of Iosia taking over Hahn' position and keeping with the system we have now with Molly subbing in for Jhenna in the front row.  They could actually try a 6-2 system next year.  The addition of Parra should improve ball control, serving, and even attacking (she sees the court really well and isn't afraid to attack the block), but she'll give up points with her blocking...but I still think she and Logan will be playing all 6 rotations next year. 

And even though we probably don't need the attacking option and will defer to defense/ball control, I'd really like to see Skyler play all 6 rotations at Opp.  She actually has a strong serve and attacks the D ball well (back row attack from right back of the court).  Right now, we need better floor defense behind Jhenna's block, but maybe that may change with 6'1 Cabello setting in a 5-1 system.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TexasDPT said:

But I really do like the idea of Iosia taking over Hahn' position and keeping with the system we have now with Molly subbing in for Jhenna in the front row.  They could actually try a 6-2 system next year.  The addition of Parra should improve ball control, serving, and even attacking (she sees the court really well and isn't afraid to attack the block), but she'll give up points with her blocking...but I still think she and Logan will be playing all 6 rotations next year. 

I think, if Gabriel and Parra are both starting, we will give up some points with our block.  I think back to 2015 for a comparison:

Amy Neal averaged .37 bps and Chloe averaged .48 bps - both undersized players.  We still averaged 2.47 bps as a team because Paulina, Yazzie and Ebony on the outside and Chiaka and McCage inside made up for it and we were able to bring in Morgan Johnson for a bigger block. 

Next year would be similar - undersized OH and S but you have a very strong outside block elsewhere in Logan and Skylar and inside with O'Neal and Brionne and able to run the blocking sub with Molly.  It definitely won't be like 2017 when we averaged over 3 blocks per set but our floor defense should be better with Syd and Iosia. 

Edited by Js1

1 hour ago, Sandlot said:

I think Baylor will win.

They can’t play worse than they did in Austin. But we’re playing really good ball too. I could see Baylor getting way amped, leading to over committing blocks and hitting it out. Texas 3-1