2019 Texas Volleyball

Js1

The computers (Pablo) pretty much agree Texas has the easiest path to the FF, ahead of Baylor, Wisky and Tree.  

Why? Because we didn’t get a P12 or B1G team flown in. We got pretty lucky there it wasn’t a USC/UCLA or Michigan type team or even Rice. As well, we got paired with a G5 team as our Regional Semis team instead of a potential B1G team like Purdue. Lastly, our potential Regional Final team is either someone we swept without Butler (Minny) or a team from a pretty weak P5 conference (Gata).

Meanwhile, the team we didn’t want to face in the F4 (Tree) got BYU (strong), Utah (decent), PSU (good) and Pitt (if they get to the RF, they have a huge chip on their shoulder). Baylor got the flown in one of P12 opponent I figured we’d host (USC) and Wisky got the other (UCLA).

Clearly, we gave thanks to the committee and sent our Christmas cards. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yeah, I was gonna say I thought our road looked pretty smooth.  As I guess it should be as numba fuckin 2.

Looks easier than Baylor’s. I think SC is healthy. Purdue is one of those teams that can dig everything you hit. And then you have Kentucky or Washington - no world beaters but no slouches, especially UW. Bijam can beat you herself. 

Purdue has a win over Corn 

UW has wins over Creighton, Wisky x2, Tree, Utah

Kentucky has wins over SC and Gata x2

Baylor actually got a pretty difficult bracket for the #1 seed. 

• Like 1

On 11/30/2019 at 6:51 PM, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

Molly Phillips with the straight zeros in the stat sheet despite playing four sets.  Is that accurate.

Molly is being used mostly in a "jumbo package" where she comes in for Jhenna on the front row when we're serving.  She only played 10 total points in 4 sets.

As for the tournament, we definitely got a better draw than Baylor.  The only B1G seed we'll meet before the FF would be if Minny can get past Fla.

• Like 1

https://texassports.com/news/2019/12/3/volleyball-fields-named-big-12-freshman-of-the-year.aspx

Freshman Skylar Fields was named the 2019 unanimous Big 12 Freshman of the Year for her performance over the season. Fields ranks second in the Conference in hitting percentage (.333), playing a major role in the Longhorns leading the nation as a team (.319) in the category. She has put down 220 kills, adding 81.0 blocks to average 3.06 points per set.

shes probably National FOY too. Possibly third team AA. White should be 1st and Logan 2nd. Jhenna SHOULD get an AA nod but Texas setters tend to get overlooked Bc “anyone” can set our hitters to a high % is the perception. 

Easy win over a totally outmatched team.  We were more aggressive at the service line than we needed to be, but JE has proven he's not going to dial that back. O'Neal was the only starter that got less than 12 swings.  UCSB is a slightly better hitting team than Albany, but I still don't see how we lose a set tonight.