2019 Texas Volleyball

Js1

3 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

One odd thing.  Micaya has been interviewed several times in the last few weeks due to her senior status, etc.  

She is surprisingly soft spoken, and just seems like a gentle, quiet person.  Which seems at odds with her playing style, her tatts and piercings, DWI (yes I know not convicted), and whatnot.

Claire was much more assertive in speaking about the team and seems more of a natural leader type, but hasn't had the role or frankly the playing chops to assume the mantle.

Given that we have three seniors (including Autumn) with heavy minutes and that the rest are underclassmen, I think we really do have a bit of a leadership vacuum.

Your floor leader is usually an OH who plays all 6 rotations or your setter. I think our most fiery persona is Bri but she isn’t on the floor the whole time. I think Logan will take it up next 2 years. 

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Creighton up 2-1 on Minny.  Can't tell the score because the NCAA site is an abortion.

24-24. Creighton had match point at 24-22 and two straight by Gophers 

Set point Gophers after an ace.

Edited by Js1

Well the one place the ball wont go on a serve is backwards

Man. My daughter and I were watching it the other night - pausing to find her on a wide shot of a server. She doesn’t put it up when the server is farther down the line.

I truly think she is paranoid of her face being on TV.

Big pic it doesn’t matter. Other than olds gonna old. Just thought I would ask.

We play Louisville at 3:00p on Friday for those of you, who like me, will be taking a very late and very long lunch at work that day. 

Regional finals match at 7:00p on Saturday on ESPNU 

40 years is quite the career. 

A Bobcat legend is finally taking a break.

Sources told the Daily Record that Texas State head coach Karen Chisum is stepping down after 40 seasons with the University. Chisum informed her players of her decision Monday afternoon.

“It has been an absolute honor to work alongside Coach Chisum,” Executive Senior Associate Director of Athletics Tracy Shoemake said in a statement. “She is a Texas State treasure and we are blessed to have her as a lifelong Bobcat.”

“Coach Chisum has built the model at Texas State,” Director of Athletics Dr. Larry Teis also said in a statement. “She is truly a Bobcat legend. She has represented not only the athletic department, but the entire university with great pride.”

Chisum, 69, began her career with the Bobcats in 1978 as an assistant and was promoted to the head coaching job two years later. She has since accumulated an all-time record of 919-559-3, making her the second-winningest female NCAA Division I coach in history and the seventh D1 coach to reach 900 wins.

Texas State won nine regular season conference championships and 11 tournament championships with Chisum at the helm, including this year’s pair of Sun Belt Conference titles. Chisum was awarded seven conference Coach of the Year awards in her career, including 2018 and 2019.

The school’s athletic department will conduct a head coaching search to find Chisum’s successor, led by Shoemake. Chisum boasted the longest-tenured staff in NCAA volleyball, with 32 years of combined experience between associate head coach Tracy Smith and assistant coach Sean Huiet.

"I’ve been blessed for the past 40 years to have been able to lead the Bobcat volleyball program. Surrounded by some of the best in the industry, we have brought this program to an elite level," Chisum said in a letter. "It is time now for me to step aside and enjoy the next chapter of my life."

Logan, Micaya, Jhenna and Skylar all make the AVCA Southwest All-Regional Team.  Meaning they are all eligible for All American honors. 

(Bri did not meet the regular season set requirement for AA honors this year, same as K Plummer from Tree - 2 of the best in the game). 

Skylar is Southwest Region FOY.  And still the odds on favorite for National FOY. 

On 12/9/2019 at 9:18 AM, Js1 said:

There is a whole Volleytalk thread about the "Khat Bell" controversy.  Wtf. 

Two actually.

That board is such a hive of twats and cunts and dickheads and scrotes.  And gawd they hate us despite the Corn fans, primarily, being the worst posters evar.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Goodman said:

This has to be the most loaded Regional, at least they allowed us to stay home this year.

"Allowed?"

No dawg, we earned that right.  We were at least one of those 5 setter road losses from being the #1 overall seed.  Either having a top 4 road win over Tree/Baylor or not having the Rice loss on our resume might have been enough. 

• Like 1

If I had to rank the 4 regionals in terms of how hard they are, I think we are third, behind Wisconsin and Baylor.

Wisconsin - all 4 seeds advanced

• Average W/L record: 25-5
  • Average RPI: 9.0

Waco - all 4 seeds advanced

• Average W/L record: 25.5-5
  • Average RPI: 9.25

Austin - 3 of 4 seeds advanced

• Average W/L Record: 24-5.25
  • Average RPI: 11.0

Palo Alto - 2 of 4 seeds advanced

• Average W/L record: 25.75-6
  • Average RPI: 14.75

So Wisky is the hardest, then Baylor, then Texas, then Tree. 

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Two actually.

That board is such a hive of twats and cunts and dickheads and scrotes.  And gawd they hate us despite the Corn fans, primarily, being the worst posters evar.

There's a rumor on that board that we will be fined and potentially the NCAA will consider this for future hosting privileges.  The 2nd sounds like BS that wouldn't hold up in an appeal.  A fine and reprimand, we'd accept. 

25 minutes ago, Js1 said:

There's a rumor on that board that we will be fined and potentially the NCAA will consider this for future hosting privileges.  The 2nd sounds like BS that wouldn't hold up in an appeal.  A fine and reprimand, we'd accept. 

Here's what I take from it.  There are rules about who is supposed or allowed to be down there and who isn't.  It seems this might have been in violation of said rules.  But those rules are not for the benefit of competition, they're administrative in nature and between the NCAA and Texas.

Perhaps a small penalty or reprimand is in order, perhaps the rules should be clarified or re-written to prevent it.  Beyond that, I don't think anything is warranted.

Between the third and fourth sets, Khat, who was in the stands with Haley Eckerman, came down and gave the team a pep talk (or ass ripping) at the end of the bench.

The haters on vt are grousing about how illegal it was.  

Also, accusations of Khat making fun of Foecke fick as ugly (accurate, but mean) on twitter and that she was part of the "mean girls" culture at Texas Volleyball.  Dunno nuffin bout that.

Doesn’t seem like it should be an issue. Matthew McConaughey roams the sidelines and talks to players during football games. At the end of the day they’re just fans that have sideline access. Don’t think there’s any rule against fans talking to players and if there is, the NCAA needs to be more clear about it

Edited by perfectchaos007

On 12/9/2019 at 9:18 AM, Js1 said:

There is a whole Volleytalk thread about the "Khat Bell" controversy.  Wtf. 

Kinda wondered if Rules allow a former player out of the crowd to come down to the bench and coach during a match in NCAA...

Elliott has to know and follow the rules especially during the NCAA Tourney Matches...

Edited by LTtxfan

15 hours ago, Goodman said:

MM works for us on the 40 and Shaka doesn’t have the stones to take control of his team.

Allowing Khat to give her “speech” was dumb, as dumb as these accusations.

The thing is, no one has said "Khat Bell and Texas violated NCAA rule #xxx" because I don't think it exists.

She wasn't a bench coach for this game.  She wasn't giving tactical coaching or strategy in the huddle - she was literally just telling them to get their heads out of their asses and play like Texas.  

Texas does have the ability to credential people for the sideline in a non-coaching capacity, like MM (before he was hired officially).  Whether the AD is going to claim they temporarily credentialed Khat Bell to go down there is anyone's guess, but again, no one can seem to point to the specific rule that we broke.  What's the difference between yelling at them from the front row or in the huddle.  Could they have "huddled" close to Khat's seat instead? 

Edited by Js1

Good stuff @Js1 

I am not saying that Texas violated any rules with Khat talking to the Team on the court after Set #3.

My point is that since a team is limited on the number of coaches they can have on the court during a match, the NCAA should clean this kinda shit up going forward.

I'm a Texas fan, but imo what Khat did was coaching on the bench during a match... and it doesn't seem like it should be allowed by NCAA because she's not a Texas coach. 

If it's within the rules now, the rules should be changed.

Edited by LTtxfan

It has been about 4 days since the match, and because neither the Big 12 or the NCAA has publicly addressed it, I’m thinking the VolleyTalk “NCAA is bringing the hammer down on Texas” is hopefully (probably?) wrong. Texas was probably advised to CYA and self report a possible rule violation, and the NCAA has likely privately addressed it with Texas and maybe clarified the rule with the remaining 16 teams.

It is obviously not the same situation/sport, but if a Baylor football coach dressed as a Tulsa coach on the sideline against Oklahoma-a clear violation of the rules- only gets a Big 12 public reprimand and suspension for half a game, then hopefully there is not a severe penalty in this case. (lol at VolleyTalk thinking we should have to forfeit games/sets/matches)

I laughed at the "forefeit the match" and/or "have future hosting privileges taken away" as if this was Patriots level spygate or something. 

I'm sure there will be a rule clarification for next year specifically addressing fans coming onto the court or into the bench area between sets, but not during play.  But trying to classify her as a bench coach because she spent all of 60 seconds on the court between sets to fire up the team is dumb AF.  

NCAA was probably like "don't do it again.  Please monitor your fans and alumni better.  We don't approve of non-credentials individuals addressing the team on the court during the match" is all that was done.  Maybe a small fine. 

5 hours ago, texfan11 said:

It has been about 4 days since the match, and because neither the Big 12 or the NCAA has publicly addressed it, I’m thinking the VolleyTalk “NCAA is bringing the hammer down on Texas” is hopefully (probably?) wrong. Texas was probably advised to CYA and self report a possible rule violation, and the NCAA has likely privately addressed it with Texas and maybe clarified the rule with the remaining 16 teams.

It is obviously not the same situation/sport, but if a Baylor football coach dressed as a Tulsa coach on the sideline against Oklahoma-a clear violation of the rules- only gets a Big 12 public reprimand and suspension for half a game, then hopefully there is not a severe penalty in this case. (lol at VolleyTalk thinking we should have to forfeit games/sets/matches)

Yes let’s hope the ncaa only suspends khat for a half

15 minutes ago, Chicken fried bacon said:

If the Horns win, I am planning on bring my daughters to the game on Saturday. (12 and 13). Sorry no pics.   Where is the best place to park near campus for a volleyball game?

Brazos garage is closer but a pain to get out of afterwards. We parked in the Speedway garage last Friday and found it much more pleasant, even though it was a farther walk.

Yes Brazos is a shit show getting out. We always park at state garage R just on the other side of MLK from Brazos. It’s usually free. 

for the 3pm start I’m going to park at he Bullock garage, I think they stop collecting fees at 7. 

Edited by CrownKing