2019 Texas Volleyball

Js1

56 minutes ago, AnTiM said:

Two things that stood out to me during the season, especially in the final match.  The number of times our opponents are driving spikes to the floor from 15 feet behind the net, and the number of times we block spikes out of bounds while our opponents are blocking them into our backcourt.  Seems like we should be doing some things different from what we are now.

I think these are all products of substandard defense and passing.  More successful attacks are a product of more successful sets, which are a product of better passes/first contacts.  We were actually a bit better at these things, I think, than last year.  I think our lack of leadership kept us from playing with the needed intensity when the rubber hit the road.  We might have been better off playing a seeded W.Ky. than unseeded Louisville on that score.

For whatever reason, Elliott has seemed to have a problem getting the girls up for low-profile opponents.  Not sure that's necessarily his problem, but having one senior starter and few upperclassmen even on the roster, spelled a lack of leadership on the floor, even from the bench ala Yaazie.

The Khat Bell asschewing was really important in the UCSB game and supplied something we lacked.

I hope Logan is not too happy-go-lucky to provide future leadership.

Edited by TwiceHorn

I was looking at the comments under the Capri Davis announcement tweet....apparently when she took her indefinite medical leave of absence in October, rumors started that she was pregnant with Adrian Martinez's child. It got so bad that she even had to address it on Twitter 😬 Wondering if that was a factor in her deciding to leave Nebraska, or maybe how the coaching staff handled the injury?

Wishing her a full recovery and all the success on the 40 Acres! 

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

I like this title matchup if we couldn’t be in it. Either Wisky wins it’s first or Tree cements itself as one of the best 4 year runs since PSU won 4 in a row in the mid-00s. 

Seems strange that Wisky hasn't won one.  They are always in it.  Kind of like us I guess, but shorter term.

I think just making it to the FF will be good for the Baylor program long term. There was a good bit of disagreement among boosters when they fired the previous coach and hired the current one. Some felt like the old guy just needed more time and blamed years of untimely injuries for their failure to advance far while others felt he was never going to get them over the hump. I'd say they made the right choice and that their ceiling is potentially a national championship someday. Just not this year.

Tree looks like they will win their 3rd in 4 years. 

So irritating that Texas has all the talent to do the same but cannot Bc of coaching. 

Tree WBB video from the Erwin Center before tomorrow’s game against #1

Edited by Js1

6 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Tree looks like they will win their 3rd in 4 years. 

So irritating that Texas has all the talent to do the same but cannot Bc of coaching. 

Tree WBB video from the Erwin Center before tomorrow’s game against #1

Well, we really don't have the same talent, due to the coaching.  We have probably never had a Jenna Gray or Morgan Hentz or equivalent.

5 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Well, we really don't have the same talent, due to the coaching.  We have probably never had a Jenna Gray or Morgan Hentz or equivalent.

I’d Say this recruiting class might finally have a Hentz and Gray in it. 

4 minutes ago, Pogo said:

I feel like the best answer any team had for Plummer/Fitzmorris was us with White/Eggleston.  Their passing and defense were just so superior to ours that I still think we would have lost to them in the semi-final.

I mean we did lose in 5 at Tree without Butler. I’d like to have seen it at a neutral site with her. 

5 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I mean we did lose in 5 at Tree without Butler. I’d like to have seen it at a neutral site with her. 

I agree it would have been nice to see it on the court.  It just seems like Stanford was playing their best ball at the end of the tournament and we hadn't really been the same since losing to Baylor.  After struggling to beat Utah (who looked like a better version of UCSB), they swept 3 of the top 4 in the B1G by an average of 25-19.

12 minutes ago, Pogo said:

I agree it would have been nice to see it on the court.  It just seems like Stanford was playing their best ball at the end of the tournament and we hadn't really been the same since losing to Baylor.  After struggling to beat Utah (who looked like a better version of UCSB), they swept 3 of the top 4 in the B1G by an average of 25-19.

Strangely, I am not sure we improved much over the season, other than the addition of Brionne, which means we were capable of playing at a pretty high level from jump.

That's all masked because of our tendency to play down.  We almost always play our best volleyball in the non-conference and post-season just because our opponents are "worthy."  Now, we'll have to have a mid-season bump for Baylor, at least until Pressley graduates.

3 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Strangely, I am not sure we improved much over the season, other than the addition of Brionne, which means we were capable of playing at a pretty high level from jump.

They absolutely need to get the timing down on setting Butler.  She can be unstoppable if they can clean that up (high, fast set).  Well, and maybe not so many service errors and better passing and...never mind.

• Like 2