2019 Texas Volleyball

Js1

I did not expect us to win this match so easily. Lost the 1st set but we were the better team in all 4 sets. We're so loaded at the pins/middle that if you don't win the serve receive game it's over. You're not going to out athlete us at the net. 

Hahn is the biggest development so far. She's drastically improved. 

• Like 1

Our weakest rotations are when Jhenna is in the front row.  Teams are hitting over her or abusing her block.  But she hustles and actually hand-sets balls that Shook would just bump-set. Plus, she is playing really good defense when she is in the back row.

Skylar showed why she is the #1 recruit.  She is so great on the right pin because she sees the court well and moves the ball around.  At times, I wish she could play all 6 rotations to get her the ball more, but (dare I say it?) we need  Claire Hahn in the back row.  She has really improved her level play and I hope she maintains/exceeds it over the course of the season.  Rounsaville, not so much (still playing at the same level for the past 2 years), but she's going to be needed when Eggleston struggles in the back row. 

Logan's overall play is much improved. She is serving tough and hitting with authority, even with not-so-ideal sets.  

Micaya is still trying to play with too much finesse for my liking - she tips way too much when she should be ripping the ball or at least attempting to abuse the block.  

I've never really understood why Asjia was starting at M1 or believed what Elliott would say about her in practice.  But I saw glimpses of her being aggressive with her blocking and hitting with more power in her slide attacks against USC.  She just needs to hit at a higher contact point and not into the block so much. Hopefully, she becomes the player that Elliott thinks she will be by the end of the season. 

Molly is a good, stable player - she puts up a formidable block and hits the quick attack well, but the team needs to play better defense behind her b/c over the weekend her attacks were dug up twice and sent straight back for points.  

Honestly, I can't wait until Butler returns...I think she is going to add a whole new blocking and attacking dynamic that teams are going to have fits dealing with. 

Sydney's floor defense, positioning, and hitter-reading has improved as well.  She's getting to balls that she flat-out missed last season. 

As always, passing and floor defense are what needs to get better throughout the season, but they are actually at a good starting point IMO.  Blocking numbers are kinda low right now but that's to be expected with 3 Freshmen front row players currently in the line-up. 

Edited by TexasDPT
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, TexasDPT said:

As always, passing and floor defense are what needs to get better throughout the season, but they are actually at a good starting point IMO.  Blocking numbers are kinda low right now but that's to be expected with 3 Freshmen front row players currently in the line-up. 

Yeah, passing needs to improve but as a starting point it was pretty good against USC. I saw a few people on volleytalk even say it's better than they expected. This from a crowd that's critical of anything that involves Texas. 

Blocking numbers will get better once Butler returns.

So Hahn is advertised as improved and appears to be improved.

So, what's been happening for the last 3-4 years where few if any backrow players showed improvement, Hahn included?  An act of incredible will?  Elliott somehow yielding in his willful blindness to backrow play?

Edited by TwiceHorn

On 9/2/2019 at 8:31 AM, TwiceHorn said:

The post SSS era has begun.

From Volleytalk, it sounds like they aren't that great of a serving team (other than Samedy), so Texas staying in system is key to a win.  Minnesota has great pins, but Texas also has great pins and great MBs. 

Texas needs to serve tough (Micaya, O'Neal and Logan), get Minny out of system and pass/serve receive well.  We are really missing Brionne's serve as well.  She had 11 aces last year. 

4 hours ago, Js1 said:

From Volleytalk, it sounds like they aren't that great of a serving team (other than Samedy), so Texas staying in system is key to a win.  Minnesota has great pins, but Texas also has great pins and great MBs. 

Texas needs to serve tough (Micaya, O'Neal and Logan), get Minny out of system and pass/serve receive well.  We are really missing Brionne's serve as well.  She had 11 aces last year. 

SSS is a HUGE loss for the Gophers.  To run a quick attack like they did a team needs good passing and a great setter with experience.  Without the quick game they have a hard time offsetting big, strong blocking teams.

39 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

So, how is Lexi Sun doing?  🤬🤬

25-9-75 (.213), 1 assist, 2 aces/2 service errors, averaging 3.57 kills/set and 4 points/set

13 digs (1.86 dps), 2 blocks (.29 bps)

I'll take Fields, Logan and Micaya over Lexi any day. 

Edited by Js1

That was against #18 Creighton and UCLA.  Projected, Creighton/USC are similar but UNI is a top 20 team and UCLA is in the 70s. 

For reference, against UNI and #14 USC:

Logan: 31-7-74 (.324), 1 assist, 6 aces/6 errors, averaging 3.88 kps and 11 points/set
14 digs (1.75 dps), 2 blocks (.25 bps)

Skylar: 29-3-50 (.520), 3.63 kps, 3.94 points/set
1 dig, 5 blocks (.63 bps)

• Like 1