2019 Texas Volleyball

Js1

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

Goddammit Jhenna, you can set someone other than the left fucking pin.

Seriously. She’s gotta be more confident in her middles. O’Neal and Phillips have come through 

Edited by Js1

I do think Bri will replace Phillips but she’s getting valuable experience - I wish we could play 3 middles. What an embarrassment of riches. Someone mentioned at Point Texas they addressed Bri’s injury and it’s not that serious. She’ll be back soon 

Edited by Js1

5 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Hahn has really improved but we've also improved as a team from the service line. Last year it was entirely too easy in serve receive for other teams. Getting teams out of system much more. 

One thing I think I'm seeing:  we seem to be more able to get BACK in system during a rally than we used to.  Seemed like once we got out of system, it just got worse until something heroic happened or we lost the point.

It also seems like maybe the young middles are better on defense than in previous years, passing out to the setter.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 3

Butler will definitely replace Phillips once she's back. We really aren't setting our middles much right now and teams are still having a tough time slowing down our pins. It's going to be a tough task trying to stop Butler, Fields, Eggleston and White. Athletic freaks. 

Edited by texasstrong12

Against one of those "vaunted" passing and strong floor defense teams of the mighty B1G, Texas did the following:

• Out-served (6 aces to 4 aces)
  • Out-blocked (9 to 4)
  • Hit .371 for the match

We kept Samedy at 13-4-31 (.290) - she had 6 kills in the first set and only 7 in the other 2.  Great adjustments by Sullivan. 

Texas hitters were outstanding (except White):

• Skylar - 10-2-23 (.348)
  • O'Neal - 6-0-9 (.667)
  • Molly - 5-0-7 (.714)
  • Logan - 15-1-30 (.467)
  • White - 16-6-49 (.204)

Our true FR MB, true FR OH, RS FR MB and true SO OH were a combined 36-3-69 (.478).  Also combined for 12 blocks and 4 aces. 

Even Jhenna chipped in 3 kills on 6 attempts (no errors). 

13 minutes ago, Aleemay said:

Anybody know what's the specific rule with Micaya's foot fault?

When Sha'dare McNeal served earlier this decade, she started her approach well outside the lines.

You have to contact the ball or start your jump within the hash marks.  You have to be within the hash marks but outside the end line.  I'd never seen it before. She must have either touched the hash mark or just been an inch outside it. 

13.1.3.6 At the moment the server contacts the ball for service or takes off for a jump service, the server must not touch the court (end line included) or the playing area outside the lines marking the width of the service zone

That may have been the most amazing match I've ever seen. I know I've never seen a set go to 35 before. That was absolute grit to come back from 5 down in the 3rd set, fight off all those set points, and take the match. Butler may have a hard time getting her position back. Both Asjia and Molly are hitting at a higher rate than Butler hit last year, against some pretty stiff competition. Butler has all the athleticism in the world, but sometimes makes silly mistakes.

This team might beat Stanford if they can just get the SE's down. I don't understand Sidney's serving. If you keep hitting it long, back up a few ft. I've never played at a higher level than a competitive rec league, but I always served from about 5ft behind the line, and once served 25 in a row. I bet I could get 95/100 in if I tried, and I have a harder serve than anyone on the Texas team not named Micaya White.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hard Times said:

That may have been the most amazing match I've ever seen. I know I've never seen a set go to 35 before. That was absolute grit to come back from 5 down in the 3rd set, fight off all those set points, and take the match. Butler may have a hard time getting her position back. Both Asjia and Molly are hitting at a higher rate than Butler hit last year, against some pretty stiff competition. Butler has all the athleticism in the world, but sometimes makes silly mistakes.

This team might beat Stanford if they can just get the SE's down. I don't understand Sidney's serving. If you keep hitting it long, back up a few ft. I've never played at a higher level than a competitive rec league, but I always served from about 5ft behind the line, and once served 25 in a row. I bet I could get 95/100 in if I tried, and I have a harder serve than anyone on the Texas team not named Micaya White.

I tend to agree on the middles.  Brionne is a physical beast, but both the young'uns play smarter and aren't liabilities on defense, other than the block.

Serving is still not a strength, but it's so much more effective than last year, it's not even funny.