2019 Texas Volleyball

Js1

On 9/10/2019 at 1:23 PM, TexasDPT said:

Iosia was a setter before transitioning to a full-time libero.  She is currently setting her HS team (ranked #1 in CA) while their starting setting is with the USA YNT.

She is able to hand-set with tempo to the pins as well as to the middles from BEHIND the 10' line.  

Imagine all those balls that get bumped set to the pins being hand-set with better accuracy and tempo so that the hitters can take better rips on the ball...plus she has a Haley Eckerman-esque jump serve that will put a lot of pressure on the opposing team's serve-receive. 

Next year might be Texas' best serving team in a very long time.

I read she already has a collegiate serve.  Super excited to see her at Texas - she most likely will not supplant Petersen as starting libero, but she will be the DS and heir apparent after 2 years. 

30 min to first serve.

Reminder, if we can win this match, we are in the driver's seat for a Top 4 seed going 3-1 against USC, Minny, Tree and BYU. 

Texas is 9-11 all time versus the Stormin Mormons - BYU holds the neutral site advantage 4-3.  BYU last won in the regional final last year, sweeping us to move onto the Final Four on their home court. 

Early on - 

4 kills on 8 attempts for Micaya
3 kills on 6 attempts with 2 errors for Logan
2 kills on 3 attempts for Skylar
2 kills on 2 attempts for O'Neal (the live stats say Orie but #7 is O'Neal) 
1 kill on 1 attempt for Molly 

Safe to say we're pretty damn good. I was hoping we would go 2-2 during this stretch and we went 3-1. Had a shot at 4-0 too. Based on the stats this wasn't even a particularly close match with BYU. 

Rice will be a very tricky nonconference match in Houston. They're a top 25 caliber team this year and now 8-0 this season. 

We're in excellent position now to get a top 4 seed. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Js1 said:

With how good Logan/White/Fields are, I think my MB combo is Phillips/Butler. I think we need Phillip’s block over O’Neal’s offense. Butler can handle the offensive part with her dominant blocking. 

I actually like Molly at M2.  She's doing a great job blocking, and once teams load up on the pins, she puts down balls with her quick attacks.

Asjia is the only middle that can run the slide effectively and she serves tough, getting teams out of system.

Both middles are freshmen and will get better with more games under their belt. 

I think Fields is starting to struggle because teams now have tape on her.  She's hit in the .100's the last 2 matches.  If she continues to struggle, maybe try Butler at Opposite???  They would just have to set a high ball to her and she would literally be hitting over every block...

27 minutes ago, TexasDPT said:

I actually like Molly at M2.  She's doing a great job blocking, and once teams load up on the pins, she puts down balls with her quick attacks.

Asjia is the only middle that can run the slide effectively and she serves tough, getting teams out of system.

Both middles are freshmen and will get better with more games under their belt. 

I think Fields is starting to struggle because teams now have tape on her.  She's hit in the .100's the last 2 matches.  If she continues to struggle, maybe try Butler at Opposite???  They would just have to set a high ball to her and she would literally be hitting over every block...

What about Molly at OPP? She played some in the spring match?

12 minutes ago, Js1 said:

What about Molly at OPP? She played some in the spring match?

That could work too. 

Or if Butler does take Molly’s spot at M2 and Skylar continues playing Opp, have Molly come in as a  blocking sub for Jhenna and then Claire would be the primary setter since she’s already back there for Skylar...

They’d be running a 6-2 and wouldn’t run out of subs since Logan has established herself as a 6 rotation player with Micaya.  But I’d only like to see this run situationally if Jhenna’s block is getting abused or can’t get out of that rotation. 

• Like 1

I think some are overthinking things at middle. O'Neal and Molly are both really good players but Butler is someone that can take over matches. You need somebody like Butler in the tournament that's not just reliable but can dominate. 

Based on the way Elliott has talked about Butler I have no doubt she's going to start when she comes back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

I think some are overthinking things at middle. O'Neal and Molly are both really good players but Butler is someone that can take over matches. You need somebody like Butler in the tournament that's not just reliable but can dominate. 

Based on the way Elliott has talked about Butler I have no doubt she's going to start when she comes back.

Of course she is. But who does she get paired with is the speculation 

Just now, Js1 said:

Of course she is. But who does she get paired with is the speculation 

Put the best athletes on the court (O'Neal and Butler). We've never had issues with this strategy. We're almost always the best team at the pins/middle because we just out athlete teams. 

Our issues have always been ball control and from the service line. Now maybe there can be an argument made that Molly is the best middle from a ball control perspective but I don't think it's a significant advantage over O'Neal and Butler. 

I dunno. With this team just throw all the athletes out there and see if teams can stop it. So far nobody has an answer and that's been without Butler. Even Stanford couldn't slow down our pins. 

https://alcalde.texasexes.org/2019/09/after-some-recent-near-misses-texas-volleyball-is-poised-to-win-it-all-again/

I did not know this part

What no one knew—what no one could possibly know—is that Elliott almost wasn’t there to see the Longhorns win it all.

One year and five days prior, Elliott sat alone in the training room inside the Alamodome in San Antonio. His team was the No. 1 seed in the NCAA Tournament, freshly knocked off by No. 9 UCLA following a tough battle against Kentucky the previous night. The gym had been dead, a far cry from the usual raucousness of his home turf at Gregory Gym.

Then-Texas Women’s Athletics Director Chris Plonsky approached him and asked him what he was thinking. Elliott told her he didn’t think he should tell her what was on his mind, but she insisted.  Elliott said he wanted to quit.

“I’m just miserable,” he told her. “This profession is just terrible.” He stood up and walked away to meet with his team.

• Like 1