The Supremes

tx 3 putt

2 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Goddamn it really? That's fucking exhausting to constantly come back to play the fuck fuck game of pretending to be reasonable while advancing horrible positions

99.9% sure it's him.

20 minutes ago, Vegas64 said:

Politically speaking, and more specifically looking at mid-terms, how is this in any way helpful to the Republicans? Game it out:

1) This leaks and people are outraged. You continue to rule as you were planning and come mid-terms people turn out to vote against you. Bad outcome for Republicans.

2) This leaks and people are outraged. You change your mind on the ruling because you will lose your suburban women and middle/swing voters for mid-terms. Also you might be seen as weak and waffling so you lose some of the right of center and far right support. Bad outcome?

Seems like the leaker had to be someone who didn't want the Republicans to have good outcomes for the mid-terms, or am I missing something?

we think about it in political terms because we are on a political board thinking about politics.  there's also the chance that the reason isn't political at all.  this draft was touched by at least (1 justice + 4 clerks each) * 9 = 45 people, each of whom knew it would be the biggest newsmaker by scotus since RvW itself.  someone could have just been excited about it and forwarded it to their girlfriend saying "check out what is about to come out . . ."

• Hook 'Em 1

Oh. NOW Federal protections are warranted. Again, so much for states' rights, or individual rights. So much for this concept of America.

b55b263e-4561-44c9-8ce0-47676dd99c6f_text.gif

“Leave it to the states” has always been a lie. Always. Forever. The important thing is to kill the right, then they can control individuals however they want, across the board.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Pig Bellmont said:

I'm white. I'm male. I don't care if God punishes you for bad decisions. I am merely his instrument on Earth. Just as God has bestowed me with unique characteristics that make me fitter than anyone else to rule. I do all of this for so little gratitude from those whose lives are improved by my hold over them.

Edited by RomaVicta

1 hour ago, Vegas64 said:

Politically speaking, and more specifically looking at mid-terms, how is this in any way helpful to the Republicans? Game it out:

1) This leaks and people are outraged. You continue to rule as you were planning and come mid-terms people turn out to vote against you. Bad outcome for Republicans.

2) This leaks and people are outraged. You change your mind on the ruling because you will lose your suburban women and middle/swing voters for mid-terms. Also you might be seen as weak and waffling so you lose some of the right of center and far right support. Bad outcome?

Seems like the leaker had to be someone who didn't want the Republicans to have good outcomes for the mid-terms, or am I missing something?

What if the GOPs know a shitstorm is on the way from the Jan 6 investigations and maybe the Trump related investigations. They know they must keep their most rabid, stupid, and/or malignant supporters frothing.

The leaders of the executive and the GOP Congress tried to overthrow a lawful election to seize power. They even tried to use the military! It's on tape and in print!

Don't listen to that fake news. We. Saved. The. Babies! The Dems were going to fuck and eat them!

Somebody noted that Abbott keeps going to the right even after winning the Texas primary. Why? There's no going back. They need to keep their constituency argument-proof. They need to feed the RAGE. They need to keep the MAGAtards on the march.

It's no longer really a contest of ideas or the best course for the American experiment at all. At least not for the right. Too many of the pro-republic voters don't even know they're in a fight or what kind of fight it is.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

we think about it in political terms because we are on a political board thinking about politics.  there's also the chance that the reason isn't political at all.  this draft was touched by at least (1 justice + 4 clerks each) * 9 = 45 people, each of whom knew it would be the biggest newsmaker by scotus since RvW itself.  someone could have just been excited about it and forwarded it to their girlfriend saying "check out what is about to come out . . ."

This makes complete sense when I put myself in those shoes as well. Imagine getting your hands on this and the bombshell and emotion and, frankly, the importance and inflection point type ruling. It's a generational bombshell.

3 hours ago, Captainant said:

Sack is a rich lawyer with generational wealth and a leader in his local church. My money is on gaslighting.

He used to carry around his Bible in law school, and if you met him it took him about 30 seconds to tell you he was rich.

2 hours ago, Horn Dog said:

"Oh but we don't want to out law it for these kinds of cases,  just all the other ones!!!"   

OK.  Well, who do you think is gonna do the urgent procedure when YOUR wife or daughter needs one urgently to save their life?   Your choice will be the 3rd year resident who read about it in a book a few month ago, or the 70yr old semi retired GYN who performed one 5 years ago.   Which are you gonna choose?

I am a physician who does procedures for a living.   If I don't do the same procedure routinely and frequently I notice it very quickly.  We also have to do a minimum number of cases annually or we lose hospital credentialing to do a specific procedure.   I don't know how any docs in red states are gonna have the numbers to maintain credentialing or proficiency to do these procedures for any circumstances.  

The GF and I were vacation in Belize, and, a gay couple was also staying at the Blue Tang the same week.  We became pretty friendly with them poolside, etc.  One of them was a hair stylist and runs a high-end shop in ATL.  He told us that, upon returning from vacation, he fully expected to give bad cuts and colors for a day or two. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Pig Bellmont said:

4 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Also correct.  My wife had to get a D&C after a miscarriage, and it was a rather urgent matter.  Had she not done so, her health was at material risk.

The merry gang of the GOP would prefer to sentence her to death.  I, on the other hand, would happily hold any of them at gunpoint as a hostage to force a Dr. to perform that lifesaving procedure on my wife.  And that is the sort of choice that they are putting in front of the American people today.  Want your wife to live?  You best be prepared to break the law.

It's not as bad as you guys think.

It's worse.

These procedures happen all day every day still here in Texas because they’re medical emergencies.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 13

vehemently. 
I don't know if this is another one of the sock accounts, I'm not making any such accusation. But I am saying that the only thing more pathetic than a grown-ass man being crowdsourced and burning through troll accounts is a grown-ass man creating yet another iteration and vehemently denying it.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Immaculate Vibes said:

These procedures happen all day every day still here in Texas because they’re medical emergencies.

In the state of Texas, with a population of 29 million, yes there are emergency surgeries for ruptured ectopic pregnancies daily.  Now how many cases do you think each individual obgyn is doing?  In my 2 hospitals we get MAYBE 1-3 of those cases annually with a obgyn staff of 5. Its all fun and games until its your loved one who needs an proficient surgeon with no time to transfer.  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Horn Dog said:

In the state of Texas, with a population of 29 million, yes there are emergency surgeries for ruptured ectopic pregnancies daily.  Now how many cases do you think each individual obgyn is doing?  In my 2 hospitals we get MAYBE 1-3 of those cases annually with a obgyn staff of 5. Its all fun and games until its your loved one who needs an proficient surgeon with no time to transfer.  

Suction d&c’s? Ectopics? Maybe you’re at a smaller hospital where on call docs try to turf out anything urgent? Those are basic call cases that a low level resident can complete. 

In any case, my point was that the idea that women are suddenly dying everywhere because doctors refuse to do these surgeries thinking they’re somehow illegal is false. 

• Fuck You 18

28 minutes ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

there was a woman recently who had to be airlifted out of Texas due to SB8 and docs' unwillingness to risk doing a lifesaving procedure, google if you feel like it, but there was news coverage.

I was curious and looked, NPR covered it

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 2

6 hours ago, Captainant said:

I was curious and looked, NPR covered it

I thought SB8 had exceptions in cases of medical emergency when the mother’s life at risk. Are Texas doctors just not willing to do this at all anymore so they don’t get sued? 

4 hours ago, MrBig said:

I thought SB8 had exceptions in cases of medical emergency when the mother’s life at risk. Are Texas doctors just not willing to do this at all anymore so they don’t get sued? 

Do you know anyone who likes being sued just because they do their job? 

1 minute ago, SubliminalHorn said:

Republicans are fascists. They don’t actually care about the mother’s or baby’s life

They care about making sure every fetus becomes a baby, but then they don't give a fuck about the mother or the child anymore. Their political use has been met

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, Captainant said:

They care about making sure every fetus becomes a baby, but then they don't give a fuck about the mother or the child anymore. Their political use has been met

It's not even about that. It's about returning women to second class citizen status.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

42 minutes ago, Captainant said:

That is not true. Practicing Christian pro-life types adopt a lot more kids than lefties.

And we certainly no which side is more generous when it comes to reaching into their own pockets to support charities.

• Fuck You 3

Republicans hate women because the bible hates women. 

I do not permit a woman to teach or to exercise authority over a man; rather, she is to remain quiet. - Timothy 2:12

Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife even as Christ is the head of the church, his body, and is himself its Savior. Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit in everything to their husbands. - Ephesians 5:22-24

To the woman he said, “I will surely multiply your pain in childbearing; in pain you shall bring forth children. Your desire shall be for your husband, and he shall rule over you. - Genesis 3:16

If you follow a cult that was started 2000 years ago. It will probably be anti-women

Do you know anyone who likes being sued just because they do their job? 

As a side note, anyone see the irony of the ZOMG we need tOrT RaFORm! crowd creating a cause of action that requires damn near nothing to file and removes functionally all protections against a suit filed in bad faith?
Remember this truth: they actually have no principles. None.
And yeah, now we get to add criminal scrutiny to the mix in numerous states (and Texas will likely join then). Again, a smart doctor would have decided NOT to do my wife’s procedure, because it would open him up to a civil claim against which he has few defenses, and would open him up to criminal investigation and perhaps prosecution where he would be putting his very freedom on the line hoping to convince a jury that the procedure was indeed medically necessary. Oh, and my wife too. Yes, we might have to bankrupt ourselves to hire a criminal defense attorney to keep my already-traumatized wife from going to prison because a zealous prosecutor just doesn’t believe that rhe procedure was really necessary.
This is how the GQP WANTS IT TO BE. It’s not a bug, it’s a feature.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 2

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

As a side note, anyone see the irony of the ZOMG we need tOrT RaFORm! crowd creating a cause of action that requires damn near nothing to file and removes functionally all protections against a suit filed in bad faith?
Remember this truth: they actually have no principles. None.
And yeah, now we get to add criminal scrutiny to the mix in numerous states (and Texas will likely join then). Again, a smart doctor would have decided NOT to do my wife’s procedure, because it would open him up to a civil claim against which he has few defenses, and would open him up to criminal investigation and perhaps prosecution where he would be putting his very freedom on the line hoping to convince a jury that the procedure was indeed medically necessary. Oh, and my wife too. Yes, we might have to bankrupt ourselves to hire a criminal defense attorney to keep my already-traumatized wife from going to prison because a zealous prosecutor just doesn’t believe that rhe procedure was really necessary.
This is how the GQP WANTS IT TO BE. It’s not a bug, it’s a feature.

Would professional liability coverage even protect the doctor in this suit?  I'm assuming the insurance company would disclaim coverage because intentional act/criminal conduct.  I can't imagine any doctor wants to be potentially brought into that shit show.

• Like 1

Would professional liability coverage even protect the doctor in this suit?  I'm assuming the insurance company would disclaim coverage because intentional act/criminal conduct.  I can't imagine any doctor wants to be potentially brought into that shit show.

I don’t know, but I would suspect that most malpractice carriers will be adding an exclusion to their policies soon. And of course, malpractice insurance never covers against a criminal charge that I’m aware of.
THIS IS PART OF THE PLAN. Functionally sentence women to death because no dr will willingly perform the procedure.
  • Rage+1 1

And medical malpractice insurance premiums are astronomical as it is.  (Side note:  Remember in the late 90s/early 00s when the lobbyists said tort reform would lower malpractice insurance premiums?  They were full of shit; it never did.)  Most physicians aren't going to give their insurer a reason to further jack them up by exposing them to a civil suit/bounty hunter claim, criminal prosecution, or disciplinary action by their state licensing agency.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

The line I always use is “once you hit send, you’ve sent it to all of DC”. It’s a shockingly small town.