The Supremes

tx 3 putt

• 2 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

My favorite part of that is that Scalia acknowledged that one of his kids obviously didn't deserve to get in. 

Yeah.....that didn't escape me.  How would you like to forever be memorialized as "the kid dad admitted was dumb?"

7 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah.....that didn't escape me.  How would you like to forever be memorialized as "the kid dad admitted was dumb?"

We should ask Eric Trump how he manages that. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Ran across this; good quick read; click on Schwartzman's account for the thread--interesting bit about Rosenberger of which I was unaware.

Narrator:  Scalia lied.  He did eventually accept the Jefferson Award.

It is also rather curious that all three of his kids applied, apparently as a top choice, to UVa.  Did they perhaps think they were going to receive special treatment?

UVa is a fine school, but is not exactly what you think of when you think of people of the prestige and privilege of the children of Supreme Court justices.  Unless they are underachievers, or not that smart ab initio.

9 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

It is also rather curious that all three of his kids applied, apparently as a top choice, to UVa.  Did they perhaps think they were going to receive special treatment?

UVa is a fine school, but is not exactly what you think of when you think of people of the prestige and privilege of the children of Supreme Court justices.  Unless they are underachievers, or not that smart ab initio.

I would say a lot of parents/children at that class level in society assume they will receive special treatment because they often do more often than they do not.

1 minute ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I would say a lot of parents/children at that class level in society assume they will receive special treatment because they often do more often than they do not.

No doubt, some of which may be legitimate as one would think that's a high-achievement household in which to grow up (as depicted in On The Basis of Sex)  But as Mr./Mrs. Scalia were both Harvard grads, you'd expect them to expect legacy consideration there, not at "lowly" UVa, where pops was just a perfesser for a bit.

He had nine children, so wanting to save a buck here and there is not quite as surprising. I looked up his offspring. One is a West Point graduate. One is a priest. Two other sons are attorneys (UVa/Chicago Law & don't know where the other attended) and one is a writer/English professor. Teacher, librarian, marriage counselor, and homemaker are the occupations of his daughters.

5 minutes ago, Js1 said:

And here we go

SWEET!  I think the bigger question is once Roe V Wade is overturned what will the religious right go after next?  I am pretty sure if they win the abortion topic all of these people won't just go away and stop voting for Republicans because, "Muh Supreme Court appointments".  So what is the next "big thing"?   Prayer in schools?  Under age women legal for all Florida Republican politicians? 

1 minute ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

SWEET!  I think the bigger question is once Roe V Wade is overturned what will the religious right go after next?  I am pretty sure if they win the abortion topic all of these people won't just go away and stop voting for Republicans because, "Muh Supreme Court appointments".  So what is the next "big thing"?   Prayer in schools?  Under age women legal for all Florida Republican politicians? 

Repeal the 19th amendment.

States no longer require compulsory education for females.

4 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

The gays got all those rights. Time to take them away 

9 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Their next goal will be expanding religious exemptions from any law they don't want to comply with. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Great! Glad women’s rights are just the canary in the coal mine so we can see how Handmaid’s Tale this country can get! SWEET!

16 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Serious question.  If they overturn or modify Roe, can’t states basically do what they want?  What’s to stop abortion laws from becoming a free for all?

Nine states actually still have pre-Roe abortion bans that most of them would likely start enforcing. Another ten states have trigger laws that will immediately prohibit all or most abortions the moment Roe is overturned.

1 hour ago, Chuckie Finster said:

This is obviously where my non-legal mind goes initially.  For those of you with a better understanding of this stuff, is there any likely reason SCOTUS would take this case without the obvious intent to alter this rule? 

I think it’s basically impossible at this point to predict what the Supreme Court will ultimately do other than whatever they decide will make abortions more difficult to get. How far they go is a total unknown. 

The Republican Party doesn’t really want to overturn Roe because then a significant chunk of it no longer has a reason to come out and vote unless the Republican Party starts passing more Jim Crow type laws. 

2 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Serious question.  If they overturn or modify Roe, can’t states basically do what they want?  What’s to stop abortion laws from becoming a free for all?

They already do what they want. Texas has severely limited abortion. 

• Most patients must receive state-directed counseling that includes information designed to discourage them from having an abortion, and then wait 24 hours before the procedure is provided.Counseling must be provided in person for women within 100 miles of the provider and must take place before the waiting period begins, thereby necessitating two trips to the facility.
  • Private insurance policies cover abortion only in cases of life endangerment or if the woman's health is severely compromised. 
  • Health plans offered in the state’s health exchange under the Affordable Care Act can only cover abortion in cases of life endangerment or severely compromised physical health.
  • Abortion is covered in insurance policies for public employees only in cases of life endangerment or severely compromised physical health.
  • Medication abortion must be provided using the FDA protocol. The use of telemedicine to administer medication abortion is prohibited.
  • The parent of a minor must consent and be notified before an abortion is provided.
  • Public funding is available for abortion only in cases of life endangerment, rape or incest.
  • A patient must undergo an ultrasound at least 24 hours before obtaining an abortion; the provider must show and describe the image to the patient. 
  • An abortion may be performed at 20 or more weeks postfertilization (22 weeks after the last menstrual period) only cases of life endangerment, severely compromised physical health or lethal fetal anomaly. This law is based on the assertion, which is inconsistent with scientific evidence and has been rejected by the medical community, that a fetus can feel pain at that point in pregnancy. 
  • The state requires abortion clinics to meet unnecessary and burdensome standards related to their physical plant, equipment and staffing.

Texas house just passed bill banning abortion after six weeks. Guess how many girls know they’re pregnant after six weeks? Before a genius chimes in with but what about no getting their period. Many girls don’t get a regular period. 

3 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

100% they’re going after the LBGT community

it's not just when they miss their period... it's also the time it takes to make all the ridiculous required appointments above, arrange transportation, gather necessary funds, etc... realistically impossible to do all that in basically two weeks.

which i suppose is the point, so bully for them 😡🖕

2 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

This is obviously where my non-legal mind goes initially.  For those of you with a better understanding of this stuff, is there any likely reason SCOTUS would take this case without the obvious intent to alter this rule? 

It appears that there are questions to be resolved that don't result in overturning Roe or Casey.  However, the likely outcome of those probably will not favor abortion rights.

One interesting thing is that the petition for cert was filed almost a year ago and has been rescheduled (7x) and re-conferenced (13x) 20 times before granting cert.  Not sure what exactly this indicates, but it doesn't seem like even four justices are on the same page, easily.

Also, the almost sole reason cited by Mississippi for the legislation is that foetuses exhibit a pain response earlier than 15 weeks.  I don't know if that's a new rationale for regulation, but I don't recall seeing it before, but I do not have an encyclopedic knowledge of these cases.  The other reasons cited, maternal health, and integrity of medical profession, have been thoroughly dismissed, even by conservative courts.

Edited by TwiceHorn

40 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Roe v Wade is toast 

Kavanaugh will vote with Roberts on something this contentious.  

The part of me that loves chaos does hope it’s overturned-I’m weary of both parties using the threat of something happening as a way to periodically whip up the base rather than craft legislation that revises the Supreme’s “undue burden” bullshit test.  

This would also be a good Schumer flex as Collins and Murkowski, maybe more might go along.

5 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

This would also be a good Schumer flex as Collins and Murkowski, maybe more might go along

This will certainly cause Collins some concern. What's uncertain is if the concern will reach "brow-furrowing" levels.  

11 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

Kavanaugh will vote with Roberts on something this contentious.  

The part of me that loves chaos does hope it’s overturned-I’m weary of both parties using the threat of something happening as a way to periodically whip up the base rather than craft legislation that revises the Supreme’s “undue burden” bullshit test.  

This would also be a good Schumer flex as Collins and Murkowski, maybe more might go along.

Yeah, I'm expecting a 4-2-3 split here. Alito, Gorsuch, ACB, and Thomas will all vote to overturn Casey and Roe, while Roberts and Kav will vote to substantially gut Roe and Casey without overturning them.

Even if they totally gut Roe V Wade, they won’t overturn it due to optics - except for the 3 or so on the far right.  So it may be over in reality but how it’s rolled out won’t rile up the base on the left - that’s their hope.  I think the blowback is gonna crush what’s left of the R party but let’s see.  Packing the courts becomes a much more real thing if they go here...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1