The Current War

NWBuck

• 4 months later...

Saw it, enjoyed it.  Well acted, nicely shot period piece.

However, I wonder if it assumes too much familiarity with the basic setting of AC vs. DC and light bulb patents, etc.

I had quite a bit of existing familiarity.  Not sure everyone else does and it doesn't give much background.

9 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Saw it, enjoyed it.  Well acted, nicely shot period piece.

However, I wonder if it assumes too much familiarity with the basic setting of AC vs. DC and light bulb patents, etc.

I had quite a bit of existing familiarity.  Not sure everyone else does and it doesn't give much background.

220, 221.   Whatever it takes.  Let’s make this picture!

Looks super interesting.

One of my favorite parts in Devil in the White City was the discussion of the bidding war between Westinghouse and Edison/GE to light the Chicago World's Fair. 

Looks like they include some of that in this film.

Edited by oSuJeff97

2 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Looks super interesting.

One of my favorite parts in Devil in the White City was the discussion of the bidding war between Westinghouse and Edison/GE to light the Chicago World's Fair. 

Looks like they include some of that in this film.

Eh, it just pays lip service to various business and technical aspects of it all.  I would have appreciated more on the geeky shit, cuz well, I'm a geek.

It really tries to be about the personalities.

Tom Wambsgans is somewhat hilariously entertaining as J P Morgan.

59 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

No reference to the elephant.  A horse execution, though.  Gus.

Also, my recollection of that was hazy.  Topsy was unconnected to the current war, but was instead a publicity stunt by asshole owners of a Coney Island amusement park that occurred in the early 20th century long after the current war had concluded.

Topsy was a bad ass.  She took zero shit and gave zero shits.

Edited by TwiceHorn

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

No reference to the elephant.  A horse execution, though.  Gus.

1 hour ago, Parliament said:

Edison was a jackass, and he treated Tesla particularly bad. Does the movie depict that?

Edison was a fraud that took a small success and used that to steal everything he could get his hands on. Tesla was a borderline mad genius. Westinghouse was a businessman.

Edison wasn't a fraud.  His contribution to the lightbulb was as an improvement, but an important one.  He was a bit of a charlatan when it came to electric power.  He pretty singlehandedly invented the phonograph and the motion picture projector and camera, for real. He had more than 1000 patents, which is not necessarily a sign of anything, but back then it was more of an accomplishment than it is today.

In addition to being quite inventive and a workaholic, he was a pretty shameless self-promoter, and pretty good at it.  That comes through in the movie.

The air brake for trains was a legit invention, but Westinghouse wasn't the kind of maniac that was Edison.