Earl's son Tyler Campbell is sick

Gil Bang

40 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

Maybe multiple sclerosis?  That sucks for a young guy (or anyone) to have to deal with that.  Good luck to him. 

Yes,  previously diagnosed.

After trying to get out of bed and falling down after the 2007 football season NFL prospect Tyler Campbell, youngest son of Earl and Reuna Campbell, was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. The team doctor at San Diego State University had suspicions that this situation stemmed from a football injury obtained during practice or a game. After an MRI, the results pointed to MS. Keeping the diagnosis a secret from his teammates, Tyler continued to play football during the 2008 season and went on to graduate from San Diego State University with a degree in Business Administration.

Following his Pro Day at San Diego State in 2009, Tyler had a relapse and his neurologist permanently sidelined his dreams of playing in the NFL. Tyler remained in positive spirits, stating “When one door closes, another opens and I view my diagnosis as an opportunity to share my experience and help others.” Since that time, he has become an active ambassador for the Pro Player Foundation and the National MS Society. “I view my MS diagnosis as a blessing,” he said. “I now have the opportunity to share my journey and empower others living with this disease to make an impact on the MS community.”

https://www.nationalmssociety.org/Get-Involved/Personal-Stories/Ambassadors-Familiar-Faces/Tyler-Campbell

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
37 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Tyler Campbell was born in Houston, Texas, to Earl and Reuna Campbell on October 26, 1986.
When confronted with life’s obstacles, Tyler recalls the words learned from his father at an early age, “A Campbell Never Quits.”

Tyler fell in love with the game of football, but It was not enough to follow in his father’s footsteps; he wanted a legacy of his own. In the summer of 2005, Tyler received a football scholarship to San Diego State University. However, what was seemingly meant to place Tyler in harm’s way resulted in the joy found by serving others.

Tyler would routinely awaken in the middle of the night, but after playing the last game of his junior season November 2007, instead of rising to his feet, he fell facedown. The right side of his body had been paralyzed; his speech became slurred, and medical examinations confirmed multiple sclerosis (MS) at the age of twenty-one! The doctors however, believed the disease to be manageable; so, they cleared him to continue playing football.

Tyler graduated early from SDSU with a Business Management Degree and in his senior season, the native Texan played well in all 12 football games following a stellar performance at the NFL pro day at SDSU!

Spring of 2009, the symptoms of MS resurfaced, and the severity caused Tyler’s doctors to terminate his football career. Tyler vowed not to become a victim of his circumstances. After returning to Texas, he discovered God’s calling and became an ambassador for The National Multiple Sclerosis Society.

Tyler knew he had a powerful testimony as a starting point and since that time, Tyler has become a spokesperson for empowering, inspiring and motivating messages of confidence and self-worth; messages that lift the human spirit and change one’s perspectives on life.

Tyler is proudly married to Shana Campbell, a graduate San Diego State University. They are the parents of two children. The Campbell family reside in Texas.

• Hook 'Em 1

I have an acquaintance ( former employee) who was a D-1 RB in the 90’s that most of the posters on this board would recall.  One of toughest days and life changers I have ever had was when he broke down in my office telling me he had been diagnosed with MS. He went from one of the most gifted athletes in the world, to a man who has to live with family for  a lot of supervision and care, and must use a walker/ cane to get around when he is not using a wheel chair.

My heart goes out to these guys for the heights they have known, only to have their own human vulnerabilities  send them crashing back to the rest of us mere mortals.  Most, like Tyler Campbell, because of the way they are wired, choose to inspire and lead others even in the face of incredible obstacles.  Life is hard.  Sometimes a helmet doesn’t even do the job...