So I wanna run with the bulls......

TankedBevo

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just saw this thread.

I ran about 15 years ago. So, YMMV.

Stay in San Sebastian, leave all your shit in your room there, catch a bus to Iruna (Pamplona) the afternoon before the day you want to run. Seems like I remember the ride was only an hour or so.   These buses run constantly during San Fermin. Stay up all night getting fucking hammered, people watching, hooking up, maybe sleep for an hour or two in a park somewhere. If you can swing it, get there on the first day, when the festival actually begins.

It gets surprisingly cold at night but just suck it up because you don't want to hassle with carrying a bunch of shit around. Don't take anything with you other than an ID and cash. Buy your return ticket as soon as you get there and stash it in your sock or someplace safe.

The day before, scope out the route-- its very short-only a quarter mile maybe?. Get into the staging area well before the start (which is at 8 am iirc) because they close it off once it gets full. Once the run starts, you can't get off the course until it ends at the coliseum. Be sure to wear the traditional white shirt and pants with a red bandana, or the locals might trip you. I bought a cheap shirt and pants and bandana at some tourist trap place the day before and just wore then over my normal clothes during the run. I ditched the pants after the run, but kept the shirt.

Wear good shoes. The cobble stones will be wet and slick. Be careful of tripping and watch what the fuck you are doing. Tripping or twisting an ankle on a curb, cobblestone, or another runner is very possible. If you do fall, stay down and the bulls will just hop over you. Try to stand up or crawl away in front of a pissed off bull and you will get hooked and tossed.

The run ends at the coliseum. You will enter through the gates with the bulls, and mill around with the bulls (and some steers) until the bulls can be herded into their pens. Once the last bull is penned, it ends.  The coliseum part felt even more dangerous than the actual run, imo.

After the run, drink a beer to calm the adrenaline shakes, get back on the bus and return to San Sebastian. In about an hour you can be passed out on a beach sleeping off the hangover. Repeat for up to 8 days.

13 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Just saw this thread.

I ran about 15 years ago. So, YMMV.

Stay in San Sebastian, leave all your shit in your room there, catch a bus to Iruna (Pamplona) the afternoon before the day you want to run. Seems like I remember the ride was only an hour or so.   These buses run constantly during San Fermin. Stay up all night getting fucking hammered, people watching, hooking up, maybe sleep for an hour or two in a park somewhere. If you can swing it, get there on the first day, when the festival actually begins.

It gets surprisingly cold at night but just suck it up because you don't want to hassle with carrying a bunch of shit around. Don't take anything with you other than an ID and cash. Buy your return ticket as soon as you get there and stash it in your sock or someplace safe.

The day before, scope out the route-- its very short-only a quarter mile maybe?. Get into the staging area well before the start (which is at 8 am iirc) because they close it off once it gets full. Once the run starts, you can't get off the course until it ends at the coliseum. Be sure to wear the traditional white shirt and pants with a red bandana, or the locals might trip you. I bought a cheap shirt and pants and bandana at some tourist trap place the day before and just wore then over my normal clothes during the run. I ditched the pants after the run, but kept the shirt.

Wear good shoes. The cobble stones will be wet and slick. Be careful of tripping and watch what the fuck you are doing. Tripping or twisting an ankle on a curb, cobblestone, or another runner is very possible. If you do fall, stay down and the bulls will just hop over you. Try to stand up or crawl away in front of a pissed off bull and you will get hooked and tossed.

The run ends at the coliseum. You will enter through the gates with the bulls, and mill around with the bulls (and some steers) until the bulls can be herded into their pens. Once the last bull is penned, it ends.  The coliseum part felt even more dangerous than the actual run, imo.

After the run, drink a beer to calm the adrenaline shakes, get back on the bus and return to San Sebastian. In about an hour you can be passed out on a beach sleeping off the hangover. Repeat for up to 8 days.

Much appreciated 

• 2 years later...