Midway (Nov 2019)

bschoolprof

It does look maybe a little cheesy, but I'll definitely go see it.  I couldn't sleep several nights ago and watched the Midway movie with Pat Garrett in it, and really enjoyed it.  

However I notice Randy Quaid's name in the trailer- if he flies a plane into the side of the last Japanese carrier I will go to the front desk and ask for my money back.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Kennythetiger said:

However I notice Randy Quaid's name in the trailer- if he flies a plane into the side of the last Japanese carrier I will go to the front desk and ask for my money back.

Shitter's full.

That’s the whitest fucking cast I’ve ever seen. Who keeps giving a bore like Patrick Wilson roles?

Mandy Moore and Eckhart haven’t been relevant since like 2010, and Skrein fucked off enough to get kicked off Game of Thrones. This should be straight-to-streaming.

Edited by TheStoicPaisano
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

11 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Fonda,  Mitchum, and Ford as Nimitz, Halsey, and Spruance can never be topped, but I’ll watch it for sure.  I didn’t see anyone credited with the role of Ensign Gay though.

Don't forget Hal Holbrook as Rochefort.  Damn near perfect casting.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, Kennythetiger said:

Now if Randy Quaid's character said "UP YOURS" and did that, I'd go to the front desk and pay more money as I was clearly undercharged.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

Oh, they're going to Pearl Harbor this. 

I hope they only Independence Day the shit out of it.  That's a movie I could probably watch a couple of times.  If they Pearl Harbor it, I'll be one and done.   

13 hours ago, TheStoicPaisano said:

That’s the whitest fucking cast I’ve ever seen. Who keeps giving a bore like Patrick Wilson roles?

Mandy Moore and Eckhart haven’t been relevant since like 2010, and Skrein fucked off enough to get kicked off Game of Thrones. This should be straight-to-streaming.

Counterpoint:  Would wife Mandy Moore.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Kennythetiger said:

It does look maybe a little cheesy, but I'll definitely go see it.  I couldn't sleep several nights ago and watched the Midway movie with Pat Garrett in it, and really enjoyed it.  

giphy.gif

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, TheStoicPaisano said:

Patrick Wilson is a good actor.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RPM said:

Eckhart is solid and underrated.

He’s solid but he’s not  underrated.  He’s done nothing to stand out since In the Company of Men.  

Edited by Lobo

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

He’s solid but he’s not  underrated.  He’s done nothing to stand out since In the Company of Men.  

Disagree. He's not a leading actor, but he's a solid, versatile supporting role. He was very good in Thank You for Smoking and Sully. He played DKR.

• Like 1

On 6/27/2019 at 10:43 PM, Gil Bang said:

I fucking hate movies that look like video games.  

AffectionateObeseBlacklab-small.gif

Bing-fucking-go!

Zeros flying between palm trees ten feet over the street. The same thing repeated over and over; planes doing things planes and pilots don't/can't do. And it all looks like a cartoon. That takes me right out of a movie.

It looks like you'll also have the usual set of two-dimensional historical characters played with great earnestness by pretty American actors. Put these guys on the screen with most of the cast and the cast shrivels into raisins.

maxresdefault.jpg

But the audience created by the studios doesn't much care for dimension. Thanks.

I don't think the Japanese were "attacking our freedom," but that's been an inapt catchphrase for a long time.

This movie looks awful. 

Edited by RomaVicta

8 hours ago, RPM said:

Disagree. He's not a leading actor, but he's a solid, versatile supporting role. He was very good in Thank You for Smoking and Sully. He played DKR.

All valid points, I concede.  But I sure as shit ain’t paying to see this movie.  

Although the series of battles end up being the reason mankind ditches 500 years of battleship production, Dennis Quaid still mumbles, "You're gonna need bigger boats." 

I'm okay with the CGI simply because I've personally tried to salvage 80 year old air-craft carriers and it's really hard to do, so sometimes you gotta go with computers.  

This'll make a fun, half-drunk watch on December 7th, 2021 for free on cable.