Midway (Nov 2019)

bschoolprof

Hollywood will fuck this one up. I can tell just by the cast.

I wonder who they will have play Lieutenant Commander John C. Waldron (IMDB doesn’t have all the actors’ characters identified). Waldron’s story is perhaps the best of all at Midway.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_C._Waldron

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Another interesting story is that of Joe Rochefort, the man primarily responsible for breaking the Japanese codes. His character is in this movie. The book Joe Rochefort’s War is one I’d highly recommend. 

I wear a bathrobe at my job too.

On 6/27/2019 at 10:51 PM, TheStoicPaisano said:

That’s the whitest fucking cast I’ve ever seen. Who keeps giving a bore like Patrick Wilson roles?

Mandy Moore and Eckhart haven’t been relevant since like 2010, and Skrein fucked off enough to get kicked off Game of Thrones. This should be straight-to-streaming.

Maybe Idris Elba can play Nimitz...

On 6/27/2019 at 11:01 PM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I guess they should  have cast Idris Elba as Halsey.  I bet there are a few Asians in it though.

10 hours ago, slorch said:

Maybe Idris Elba can play Nimitz...

Might as well cast him as Spruance too

Edited by NeverMarryAStripper

First off, this looks like hot garbage and I'm probably going to watch it. Not only is there too much CGI, but it looks particularly bad, too.

This thread makes me smile, though, with all of you recalling and quoting the original. One of my favorite movies of all time. Rep all around.

Don't forget Susan Sullivan's fine ass, either.

31 minutes ago, LonghornJudas said:

First off, this looks like hot garbage and I'm probably going to watch it. Not only is there too much CGI, but it looks particularly bad, too.

This thread makes me smile, though, with all of you recalling and quoting the original. One of my favorite movies of all time. Rep all around.

Don't forget Susan Sullivan's fine ass, either.

I vaguely remember that Chuck Heston's son was a shitty pilot.  Other than that, I didn't have the attention span for this or Tora Tora Tora Tora.

On 6/30/2019 at 12:47 AM, ImissWallyPryor said:

Hollywood will fuck this one up. I can tell just by the cast.

I wonder who they will have play Lieutenant Commander John C. Waldron (IMDB doesn’t have all the actors’ characters identified). Waldron’s story is perhaps the best of all at Midway.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_C._Waldron

I'll up the bid with Wade McLuskey  -  you could make the case his decision to change directions was one of the turning points of the Pacific war

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, AUinHsv said:

I'll up the bid with Wade McLuskey  -  you could make the case his decision to change directions was one of the turning points of the Pacific war

There are multiple story lines that Hollywood will get wrong or try to spice up because, you know, WWII has no stories worth telling without their help. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/27/2019 at 11:55 PM, HornOnTheBayou said:

Oh, they're going to Pearl Harbor this. 

Yep ... looks a bit Pearl Harbored, but I'll still go see it. If it's even half as good as the original, it'll be worth it. 

BTW, speaking of Midway & Nimitz, if you haven't been to the Pacific War Museum in Fredericksburg (formerly the Admiral Nimitz museum), well .... GO. It's fantastic.

• Like 2

That’s the whitest fucking cast I’ve ever seen. Who keeps giving a bore like Patrick Wilson roles?

Mandy Moore and Eckhart haven’t been relevant since like 2010, and Skrein fucked off enough to get kicked off Game of Thrones. This should be straight-to-streaming.

Not that Mandy Moore needs me to defend her but she is the star of the most popular Network TV drama the last 3 years. It might not be your demo but she is far from irrelevant.  

Just looked at the cast and noticed they also have another one of the unsung heroes - Richard Best. IIRC the US sank the four carriers with around 12-15 bombs. This guy was credited with dropping two of those. Pretty good record to hit two carriers in one day. Unfortunately he never flew again - something went wrong with his oxygen system and messed up his lungs.

• Like 1

In 1940's America? Moron. Wilson is great in general, and was hilarious in the A-Team.

On 6/29/2019 at 12:11 AM, Lobo said:

He’s solid but he’s not  underrated.  He’s done nothing to stand out since In the Company of Men.  

Thank you for Smoking was a great film and he was great in it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

They hadn't forgot how to act and it would be kind of silly to have Clint Eastwood play Bull Halsey back in 1976.  Tom Hanks appearing in this movie as one of the admirals would be comparable to the headliners of the original Midway.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, mulletpelini said:

Oh yeah I'll go.  What happened to the summer blockbusters?  Everything decent comes out in winter now?  

One good thing about this movie, cheesy or not, is that it can teach history to some generations that think WWII is a video game

Nobody wanted to go up against Avengers, Spider-Man, Toy Story 4, Fast and Furious, and Lion King

• 2 months later...
On 6/27/2019 at 8:59 PM, bschoolprof said:

Michael Bay Roland Emmerich directs.  Looks kinda cheesy IMO.  But Woody plays Nimitz, so that's pretty cool.  

Midway with Heston was very cheesy but the flying footage was fantastic. I hope this is not another abortion like Pearl Harbor movie was.

19 minutes ago, Rabidhorn said:

I hope this is not another abortion like Pearl Harbor movie was.

I have serious trepidation. The original was cheesy with a useless racist romantic sub-plot. But it was Heston, Fonda, Mitchum, Ford. While not in their prime (and stealing Tora, Tora, Tora footage) it was a blockbuster. 

3 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Report back, cadet.  I want this to be good.

I went in expecting Pearl Harbor and was pleasantly surprised.  A few tropey elements, and the combat is slightly Star Warsey, but it was pretty damn accurate to the 4-5 books I’ve read about Midway.  It covers all the strategic elements that led up to Midway and tactical events of June 4-6 as well as a 2 hour movie could, imo.

If you go in with no expectations, I think it will be worth your time and money.

• Like 3