bschoolprof

Midway (Nov 2019)

22 minutes ago, TexasHooch said:

My 9 year old loves everything WW2. I've been careful not to give him too much but he's cool with Memphis Belle, Tuskegee Airmen, and Dunkirk.  Good to go on this one?

I think so.  There is death and a semi-gruesome charred body in one scene, but no body parts flying around or anything.  I took my 11 year old boy.  He thought it was the best movie he’s ever seen and said he thought it would be ok for a 9 year old.

I thought it was a very good movie, it was over 2 hours long and never seemed to drag.  Very straightforward view of the battle and not an ounce of political correctness.

Also added in some completely factual Japanese atrocities to make the Chinese partners happy.

Would definitely recommend it to parents with 9-14 year old kids.  Not as gruesome as Saving Private Ryan or Band of Brothers.

On 6/29/2019 at 10:03 AM, RomaVicta said:

AffectionateObeseBlacklab-small.gif

Bing-fucking-go!

Zeros flying between palm trees ten feet over the street. The same thing repeated over and over; planes doing things planes and pilots don't/can't do. And it all looks like a cartoon. That takes me right out of a movie.

It looks like you'll also have the usual set of two-dimensional historical characters played with great earnestness by pretty American actors. Put these guys on the screen with most of the cast and the cast shrivels into raisins.

maxresdefault.jpg

But the audience created by the studios doesn't much care for dimension. Thanks.

I don't think the Japanese were "attacking our freedom," but that's been an inapt catchphrase for a long time.

This movie looks awful. 

I can understand fearing this up front based on Pearl Harbor and the trailer, but I think the final product is better.  It even has Yamamoto saying he doesn’t think Japan could win a protracted war with the U.S. and says that if Japan is deprived of oil she will have to go to war (providing context for Pearl Harbor and the desire for a decisive naval battle early).  It does a good job, imo, of providing context like this that makes the why of Midway and even the Pacific war accessible.

You’ll have to accept zeros stranding the streets of Honolulu, backseat gunners being implausibly accurate and that the characters are mostly two dimensional.  But there are plenty of solid, entertaining movies that stretch the boundaries of believability and don’t have say, Joaquin Phoenix playing the Joker.  That’s where I think Midway 2019 falls - solid, entertaining and historically informative to those who aren’t history buffs.

Edited by Goredho

1 minute ago, Goredho said:

I can understand fearing this up front based on Pearl Harbor and the trailer, but I think the final product is better.  It even has Yamamoto saying he doesn’t think Japan could win a protracted war with the U.S. and says that if Japan is deprived of oil she will have to go to war (providing context for Pearl Harbor and the desire for a decisive naval battle early).  It does a good job, imo, of providing context like this that makes the why of Midway and even the Pacific war accessible.

The characters are mostly two dimensional, but there are plenty of solid, entertaining movies that don’t have say, Joaquin Phoenix playing the Joker.  That’s where I think Midway 2019 falls - solid, entertaining and historically informative to those who aren’t history buffs.

I appreciate the thoughtful response. We'll see.

20 hours ago, Goredho said:

One notable omission on strategy was nothing about the Japanese diversion towards the Aleutians, but I’m okay with it.  I think they crammed as much as they could into the movie.

The Aleutians deserve more than a mention, as there were tens of thousands of allied troops & navy involved up there under exceedingly miserable conditions. Plus my Dad was stuck in that shithole from 1942-43.

39 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

The Aleutians deserve more than a mention, as there were tens of thousands of allied troops & navy involved up there under exceedingly miserable conditions. Plus my Dad was stuck in that shithole from 1942-43.

Rep for your dad’s shithole assignment.  I agree, But it would have been hard for them to cram more into the movie.  Definitely strategically significant because without the Aleutian’s front the Japanese could have had two more carriers at Midway.

Not sure why someone didnt make this into a BoB type mini-series.  The lead up (could even throw in the Battle of the Coral Sea), the feints (The Aleutians, etc.) And then three days of tension, decisions, missed opportunity and victory/defeat. 

I saw it Sunday and it was good.  The characters they focused on were critical to the action and while there was a little video game feel to some of the combat, for the most part it looked damned good and the pacing was excellent I thought.  Looks fantastic on the big screen and it doesn't pull any punches about the true cost of war.

Hollywood never gets strafing right so that's a little annoying but it was intense and nice to look at for sure.