Ski Season 2019/2020

texasdago

Now that A-Basin is about to close up shop (July 4th close, yet again!) and since I had a dream about skiing last night, its time to get skiing on the brain for next year.  Hot outside?  Who cares... its ski conditioning season.

Get yourself in shape for winter 2019 

https://www.skimag.com/ski-performance/training-tips-ted-ligety-week-1 

https://www.skimag.com/ski-performance/training-tips-ted-ligety-week-2

https://www.skimag.com/ski-performance/training-tips-ted-ligety-week-3

https://www.skimag.com/ski-performance/training-tips-ted-ligety-week-4

https://www.skimag.com/ski-performance/training-tips-ted-ligety-week-5

https://www.skimag.com/ski-performance/training-tips-ted-ligety-week-6

and

Edited by texasdago

11 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Our 2019 season hasn't quite ended here yet. Mammoth still has 7 lifts operating.

Yup... A-Basin running, Squaw may still be (?) then you have Timberline.  Let me also remind you that you suck since you can go skiing.

• 2 months later...

Trying to figure out where to go for our annual group trip this year. The last 4 years have been Telluride, Steam Boat, Park City, Telluride.

One guy has Epic Pass and strongly prefers one of those mountains. We prefer towns where you can stay walking distance to the slopes and walking distance to restaurants and bars.

I’m leaning towards Crested Butte which I’ve done before but our group has not.

Any reason to consider Vail, Beaver Creek, or Breck? They all seem so crowded and commercial.

5 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

Trying to figure out where to go for our annual group trip this year. The last 4 years have been Telluride, Steam Boat, Park City, Telluride.

One guy has Epic Pass and strongly prefers one of those mountains. We prefer towns where you can stay walking distance to the slopes and walking distance to restaurants and bars.

Any reason to consider Vail, Beaver Creek, or Breck? They all seem so crowded and commercial.

Breck would be my choice, depending on the week if you want something not as commercial/ crowded as Vail or BC.

24 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Breck would be my choice, depending on the week if you want something not as commercial/ crowded as Vail or BC.

I don't know that I'd call Breck less commercial than Vail, but it's probably a good choice based on his criteria.  CB would be really good, too. 

16 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

I don't know that I'd call Breck less commercial than Vail, but it's probably a good choice based on his criteria.  CB would be really good, too. 

Yeah, just going by size and scale of commercial.  Of the 3 I'd say that would be the best choice for them, especially if the Epic pass issue is a big deal, which it would be if I was going.

3 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

The last 4 years have been Telluride, Steam Boat, Park City, Telluride.

One guy has Epic Pass and strongly prefers one of those mountains.

walking distance to the slopes and walking distance to restaurants and bars.

Crested Butte

Sun Valley

Keystone

Dolomites

Three Valleys

Four Valleys

Japan

• 3 weeks later...

_109162962_capture.jpg

Dramatic pictures were released by Italian mountain rescuers following the crash in Prato Valentino on Sunday.

The pilot had light injuries after being thrown out of the plane. He is now being treated in hospital, the rescuers say.

The only passenger on board the plane was unharmed.

Thinking of taking kids on their first ski trip over spring break - Steamboat. I’d really like to drive because we’ve always flown on family vacations and I feel like driving is something we should do. My wife keeps saying we don’t want to get stuck. A plane would get just as stuck, correct? What say you?

On 9/17/2019 at 5:31 PM, wild_turkey said:

beaver creek. vail and breck = lift lines/mass of humanity*

*pretty much the only criteria i have for a mountain is the number of people on it. i rage at breck/vail.

The answer is no, those places suck.

CB is great as you know. Can't really walk to town from the mountain, but the free bus is nice.

Consider Whistler. Bars are awesome, everything is walkable. Skiing is amazing.

On 10/9/2019 at 9:16 AM, Loco said:

_109162962_capture.jpg

Dramatic pictures were released by Italian mountain rescuers following the crash in Prato Valentino on Sunday.

The pilot had light injuries after being thrown out of the plane. He is now being treated in hospital, the rescuers say.

The only passenger on board the plane was unharmed.

2700 foot vertical... that's one way to get up the mountain.

On 10/9/2019 at 9:30 PM, ousuxndallas said:

The answer is no, those places suck.

CB is great as you know. Can't really walk to town from the mountain, but the free bus is nice.

Consider Whistler. Bars are awesome, everything is walkable. Skiing is amazing.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. We ended up booking Crested Butte. I hate crowds and I especially hate waiting in lift lines. That's one of the things we love about Telluride, which I would just go there every year, but the group likes to have a change in scenery every so often.

2 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

Thanks for the feedback everyone. We ended up booking Crested Butte. I hate crowds and I especially hate waiting in lift lines. That's one of the things we love about Telluride, which I would just go there every year, but the group likes to have a change in scenery every so often.

Just spent a few days in Telluride.  Probably my favorite spot in CO.  Just too damn far from Denver for me to go there regularly.

1 hour ago, Axle Hongsnort said:

23 days last season brah. Never in Canada.

Banff is beautiful.  Lake Louise is the pretty girl who doesn't do much.  Lots of terrain but they don't get much snow at all.  You're only a 2 1/2 hour drive to Revelstoke.  One hour to Kicking Horse.  

LLSR-Mountain-Guide-Front-MAPONLY-1024-2

LLSR-Mountain-Guide-Back-Bowls-MAPONLY-1

I have a feeling that in the heart of winter, that Banff/LL area can be pretty hardcore with respect to the weather (preface by saying I'm a soft Californian). However, that early snow and harsh winter lead to a long season - Lake Louise ski season regularly goes until May. I think it's a no-brainer for early to late Spring skiing. I was at LL in late April last year and it was just fantastic (and still plenty cold). 

It's spectacular there, if oddly a little remote. It's only a little bit farther away from Calgary than Whistler is from Vancouver, but it has a more off-the-beaten-path feel. 

On 10/23/2019 at 7:15 PM, Txzen said:

I have a feeling that in the heart of winter, that Banff/LL area can be pretty hardcore with respect to the weather (preface by saying I'm a soft Californian). However, that early snow and harsh winter lead to a long season - Lake Louise ski season regularly goes until May. I think it's a no-brainer for early to late Spring skiing. I was at LL in late April last year and it was just fantastic (and still plenty cold). 

It's spectacular there, if oddly a little remote. It's only a little bit farther away from Calgary than Whistler is from Vancouver, but it has a more off-the-beaten-path feel. 

Skiied at Banff in early 90's and you are correct. It was very cold....  Also for some reason I remember that almost every ski run seemed to end a couple hundred yards below the next lift. They seemed to enjoy making you push your way uphill to get on the chair

Edited by AUinHsv

I started shopping for a shell jacket.  As usual, things are not made to fit a...well fed gentleman. Want waterproof gorged type outside and small removable liner inner.  For inbounds skiing so far, but if it lasts I may try some back country stuff in the future  

What company and/or style do you guys wear and would recommend, and which online stores?  

I just tried on a north face 2xl and I want more room in the belly area, but nowhere will stock a 3x and the sites I’ve shopped don’t even have it as an option. 

$300ish price range

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I started shopping for a shell jacket.  As usual, things are not made to fit a...well fed gentleman. Want waterproof gorged type outside and small removable liner inner.  For inbounds skiing so far, but if it lasts I may try some back country stuff in the future  

What company and/or style do you guys wear and would recommend, and which online stores?  

I just tried on a north face 2xl and I want more room in the belly area, but nowhere will stock a 3x and the sites I’ve shopped don’t even have it as an option. 

$300ish price range

I hear Hefty is doing wonderful things with their new trash bag technology, and they're all waterproof.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

$300ish price range

I just picked up a Helly Hansen Alpha 3.0 jacket that I really like.  Much less bulky than the North Face it is replacing.  I hate how most ski jackets fit because I'm also a bigger guy in the shoulders (and stomach - I'm 6'2" and 250#) and it seems most outdoor gear is made for skinny 20 year olds.  The HH 2X fits me really nicely.  MSRP is $450 but Epic Mountain Gear sells them for 20% off so it was $360.

The only brands I've found that will work is Helly Hansen, North Face and Mountain Hardware.  All the other ones are just too tight in the shoulders and stomach, even in XL or 2X.  

Bought Ikon passes for the whole family. We are doing a quick trip to steamboat right around New Years which I am hoping it won’t be as crowded as the Summit county resorts. We will also do another trip for spring break. Right now thinking of aspen, winter park, Utah or trying big sky. We are mainly beginners/intermediates. Like my trails like my women, groomed. We will be driving. What does Surly say?