Ski Season 2019/2020

texasdago

1 hour ago, Gale Snoats said:

my main concern is warmth as i'll be in Montana soon.  is warmth more determined by layering underneath as long as your outer layer is water tight?

Yes sir. Layers are your friend and you can always toss them in a locker or a bag if you overhear.
For cold/ stormy days on top I have a skintight thermal, loose thermal, and depending on how bad it is I will wear a sweatshirt or a puffer jacket on top of those if needed. I Always have a face mask stuffed in my pocket too, you’ll thank yourself when it starts whipping. 

Don’t forget a flask full of rumpleminze 😄

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gale Snoats said:

my main concern is warmth as i'll be in Montana soon.  is warmth more determined by layering underneath as long as your outer layer is water tight?

Yep. I only get shells then layer as needed. I have a pair of North face goretex ski pants with suspenders (they aren't really bibs, but have a small rise in the back to keep powder out) that I've had for about 9 years and haven't found anything better. 

On normal days I will just wear long underwear and a pair of shorts underneath. On cold days I have long underwear and a pair of sweats I cut off at the shins so I don't have to worry about trying to tuck that shit into my boots. 

Up top it is long underwear and a t shirt then maybe a long sleeve performance layer and a fleece if it's really cold. 

I'd rather have too many layers than not enough. You can always vent on the lift on the way up or dump a layer in the lodge if the sun comes out. 

I would get at least a 30,000 rating on top and 20,000 rating on bottom if you're going to hit weather.

15 minutes ago, Johnny Chimpo said:

Damn those look pretty legit. I’ve been kicking around replacing my black diamond gloves as they are about 7 years old now and pretty packed out. Might pull the trigger on some of those, looks like a really good build for the price. 

Kinco. 20 bucks, they come with waterproof treatment and are as good as any 100 dollar leather glove I've ever worn. 

They can get a little warm in the spring.

Damn those look pretty legit. I’ve been kicking around replacing my black diamond gloves as they are about 7 years old now and pretty packed out. Might pull the trigger on some of those, looks like a really good build for the price. 
I highly doubt your black diamonds are done. Gloves last a long time. But if you want new ones, do it.
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
39 minutes ago, Johnny Chimpo said:

I highly doubt your black diamonds are done. Gloves last a long time. But if you want new ones, do it.

Yea they’re not really close to being totally wasted. One thing that happened though is the cloth side of the right hand thumb cover got blown out and the inner removable liner is now the weather facing cover. I think black diamond has a repair program though, so I’ll check into it. Idk. I’m not in a huge rush about it. 

I love my Swany x-cell gloves. I didn’t think I could ever justify paying $130 (when I bought them) for gloves but once I put my hands in them I had no problem paying. Haven’t had cold hands on the slopes in many years and most people who shake my hand comment on my naturally cold hands.

I bought new Columbia pants that cost $60 or so and the first trip was a success. So far I’ve haven’t been able to justify the expensive pants but we will see how long these hold up. My magellen (academy house brand) pants lasted 7 years before their first rip. However I do only get 3-4 ski days a year.

I bought some generic Walmart brand snow bib for like $30 and they’ve done fine for 3 years but I’m growing more annoyed with the fit and the shoulder straps wanting to fall off because they aren’t crossed in the back. And with no ankle protection there’s a few tears from the skis. But I already spent $350 for a jacket this season so I’m hoping to get something nice on clearance after the season. 
a little bit of insulation in them over a bass layer is all I’ve ever used and never had issues with cold. 

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I bought some generic Walmart brand snow bib for like $30 and they’ve done fine for 3 years but I’m growing more annoyed with the fit and the shoulder straps wanting to fall off because they aren’t crossed in the back. And with no ankle protection there’s a few tears from the skis. But I already spent $350 for a jacket this season so I’m hoping to get something nice on clearance after the season. 
a little bit of insulation in them over a bass layer is all I’ve ever used and never had issues with cold. 

This may be a dumb question but have you tried crossing the straps yourself over your head? 

• Like 1

The way these are made, it would create too severe an angle and they’d be up against my neck. The straps begin chest high in the front and the back, and start out wide. 

Bought my kid a 2 hour freestyle private lesson next weekend, so we’ll see if he learns anything or is just on his ass over and over.  Hope they have some double tipped skis to rent, or he will have to make due. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

21 hours ago, Johnny Chimpo said:

Yea they’re not really close to being totally wasted. One thing that happened though is the cloth side of the right hand thumb cover got blown out and the inner removable liner is now the weather facing cover. I think black diamond has a repair program though, so I’ll check into it. Idk. I’m not in a huge rush about it. 

No don't do that just yet.  A 30 day a year guy should know the answer.

6969-1.jpg

• Like 3

On 2/2/2020 at 12:08 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

Go to backcountry.com and look for some quality ski pants on sale.  

17 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

Caught a Wasatch storm Sunday night.  woke to 7" yesterday with another 7" while we skied.

C947E9ED-174A-4A53-BB8D-7C9EBDAD3D90

Fresh pow bluebird today.  14" minimum everywhere with lots of knee deep and waist deep turns.

826D3250-972B-489E-A627-3C7C706227CA

381C94C8-C777-4610-BA42-597D2089E957

Our amazing local friend and guide raised skiing the Alps.

C355D181-B00B-46DB-A186-374F678BD253

You luuuuuucky mutha fucker.....

On 2/4/2020 at 6:29 PM, triplehorn said:

Caught a Wasatch storm Sunday night.  woke to 7" yesterday with another 7" while we skied.

C947E9ED-174A-4A53-BB8D-7C9EBDAD3D90

This guy is really the most relevant poster on these ski threads and it's been that way for a few years at least.  He actually posts skiing rather than taking pics while riding the chair, or out the condo window.  

4 hours ago, PRONG HORN said:

This guy is really the most relevant poster on these ski threads and it's been that way for a few years at least.  He actually posts skiing rather than taking pics while riding the chair, or out the condo window.  

Here’s a quick of my kid. Happy?

Edited by Pato del Muerto

On 2/7/2020 at 4:36 PM, Chewbacca said:
On 2/6/2020 at 11:09 PM, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:
Pretty epic storm sitting over the southern Rockies right now. Hopefully some of you yahoos are getting to hit it.

Knee deep powder at Winter Park today. Epic fucking day.

Gott damn I wanna book a flight right now !!!

17 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
3 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:
Gott damn I wanna book a flight right now !!!

You missed it, although 12 or so is supposed to come tomorrow. Skied a lift that wasn't open yesterday today. 30 inches is to much if you don't have powder skis. Fuck me, that was a beating. Harder than big bumps.

I've skied just a handful of times in really deep powder.  Utah snow, so it was like dust.  Never had better skiing in my life than those days.  

Yes, powder skis, leashes, and lay back on your tails, and ride up thru the fluff. Those days just don't happen often enough when you live on the east coast.

I've skied just a handful of times in really deep powder.  Utah snow, so it was like dust.  Never had better skiing in my life than those days.  
Yes, powder skis, leashes, and lay back on your tails, and ride up thru the fluff. Those days just don't happen often enough when you live on the east coast.
It was really light yesterday. Got heavier today. Still a great day.

1 minute ago, Chewbacca said:
10 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

It was really light yesterday. Got heavier today. Still a great day.

Heavy snow works you like a bitch.

57 minutes ago, Upgrayedd said:

Man Copper was fun today.  Didn’t get into the bowls, but frontside had plenty to offer.

Wish I could hit it tomorrow, gotta go look for a condo in Avon/Edwards/Eagle/Gypsum as we are gonna make the move.

Probably should find a job up here too.

Broooo go further west. Get away from the Denver insanity.

13 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
14 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:
Broooo go further west. Get away from the Denver insanity.

If you can work and do this, this is good advice. Go to Carbondale and see if HollywoodColt is there.

the lift line videos from vail this past weekend make me rage. i don't understand how tens of thousands of people subject themselves to that.

On 2/1/2020 at 8:04 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

I have some Scott gloves that I like that were like $40. 

I have a nice pair of Scotts, but for me now a prerequisite for gloves is a small zipper pocket on the back to put the prox reader lift ticket.  Way better than in a jacket r pants pocket. 

Edited by Sbbruin

35 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

the lift line videos from vail this past weekend make me rage. i don't understand how tens of thousands of people subject themselves to that.

PRO TIP: Never, and I mean neeeeeever go to VAIL on the weekend, or any other ski resort if you can avoid it.  I generally use the weekend days as hang out/recovery/rest days if possible. Or hit first chair up the mountain, get some good morning runs in, and then get off the hill before the crowds start clogging the lift lines.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

PRO TIP: Never, and I mean neeeeeever go to VAIL on the weekend, or any other ski resort if you can avoid it.  I generally use the weekend days as hang out/recovery/rest days if possible. Or hit first chair up the mountain, get some good morning runs in, and then get off the hill before the crowds start clogging the lift lines.

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

That's great in theory but is not reality for most folks.