Ski Season 2019/2020

texasdago

23 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Who knows about home wood mountain resort in Tahoe?

im looking at options for next season passes and if I buy them for red lodge which is nearby, I get free skiing at grand targhee and homewood when I stay at the resort at least 2 days. 

speaking of grand targhee, do most people ski both there and Big Sky when they travel to ski MT ?  Never skied MT but Big Sky came up on my Utah trip a few weeks ago.  Regarding Big Sky, I looked at the trail map and that 11k ft summit of Lone Mountain seems intense  - looks to have some big boy routes down.  

23 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Who knows about home wood mountain resort in Tahoe?

im looking at options for next season passes and if I buy them for red lodge which is nearby, I get free skiing at grand targhee and homewood when I stay at the resort at least 2 days. 

Homewood is a smaller area on the west shore.  Been a minute since I skied there.  Used to be a family op, now it’s under different owns.  Fun area (at least it was when I was there).  Didn’t get the crowds that Squawpine got.

Targhee is awesome.  GF’s aunt and uncle love in Driggs.  Know that area well.  Don’t go for a big apres scene (although Trap Bar is fantastic, mellow, friendly).  It’s not that type of place.  Decent terrain.  Ton of snow.  Probably fog.

I’ve had some great times at Grand Targhee. Or like Upgrayyed said, Grand Foggy. Driggs is a great town to put together a dirt cheap ski trip and you can drive on over to Jackson Hole mountain resort if you want to mix it up for a day or two. 

All the Montana locals I’ve talked to had lots of good things to say about Bridger Bowl. If I was gonna put together a ski trip to Big Sky I think it would be worth stopping in there too at least for a day to check out the scene. 

44 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Grand targhee is in Wyoming, near Jackson and driggs, ID, west of the Tetons. 

closest to big sky would be Bridger bowl in Bozeman. 

That’s right - GT is near Jackson Hole.  Not been there yet either and it’s getting talked up as a destination.  We’re just so locked into the convenience of SLC, reliable quality of snow, and multiple resorts.

but Big Sky anyone - yay or nay ?

I was at big sky 3 years ago in early April, but the wife and I just sat and drank while the kids did 2 days of ski school. The terrain is enormous and varied from what I understand. There are places to eat at the resort and our room was Hampton inn quality. Town is small though, didn’t really explore it at all. Plenty of snow, even got a couple inches while we were there. I’ll scroll through and see if I have any pics. 

Access to a number of those chutes and couloirs at Big Sky involves strapping skis/board on your pack and traversing steeps along paths while holding on to anchored horizontal guide ropes.  pretty wild.

I'm starting to understand the big sky vibe.  Had no idea bout the scale and terrain.

2 hours ago, triplehorn said:

Any thoughts on these ♦️♦️♦️ coming off that 11k ft summit at big sky ?

1573909921jpg_render.jpg

By the way, that’s only the top half of that mountain. If you go all the way up to lone peak and ski out of that bowl Or around it, you can have a miles long run that’s 5k vertical too. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

OK, now that my trip to ski France is hosed...

Mammoth Mountain

Mt Bachelor 

Which and why?  Taos I'm sure will be super busy so that's going to be a pass.  Was looking at Big Sky but lodging seems a bit on the high side.  Not doing CO - too many people on spring break.  Same with Utah.  Really really leaning towards Mammoth.

1 hour ago, texasdago said:

Mammoth Mountain

Mt Bachelor 

Which and why?  Taos I'm sure will be super busy so that's going to be a pass.  Was looking at Big Sky but lodging seems a bit on the high side.  Not doing CO - too many people on spring break.  Same with Utah.  Really really leaning towards Mammoth.

Mammoth for spring break sounds like Colorado and Utah. 

Edited by Onboard 2.0

1 hour ago, texasdago said:

Mammoth Mountain

Mt Bachelor 

I'll always be a pimp for Mammoth.  It's been kinda dry up there lately through.  However, they have a tendency to get Miracle Marchs.  

Never been to Bachelor.  

• Like 1

Yea mammoth is great but don’t head up there thinking you’re gonna beat the crowd. Mammoth is the best resort SoCal folks can drive to, and they do it in droves. 

My buddy Who spent some time in Oregon always had a lot of good things to say about bachelor but I’ve never been myself. I hear Bend is a really cool town, too. 

Edited by Johnny Chimpo

2 hours ago, Johnny Chimpo said:

Yea mammoth is great but don’t head up there thinking you’re gonna beat the crowd. Mammoth is the best resort SoCal folks can drive to, and they do it in droves. 

My buddy Who spent some time in Oregon always had a lot of good things to say about bachelor but I’ve never been myself. I hear Bend is a really cool town, too. 

Bachelor sounds like a safer bet or go into Wyoming, Canada, or Montana maybe...

15 hours ago, texasdago said:

Mammoth Mountain

Mt Bachelor 

Whistler ?

20 hours ago, PRONG HORN said:

Did you pick these for their alpine terrain?

Two of the places I've always wanted to ski and, yes, the above treeline terrain always gets me.  That said, we're going to Tans and Santa Fe so need skiing insight for there.  Staying in the town of Taos, not up in the valley. Driving. 

12 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Two of the places I've always wanted to ski and, yes, the above treeline terrain always gets me.  That said, we're going to Tans and Santa Fe so need skiing insight for there.  Staying in the town of Taos, not up in the valley. Driving. 

Carry your lucky rabbits foot. Taos has some great snow.............. when it snows... and when it doesn't......

43 minutes ago, texasdago said:

17.5 miles to the Earthship capitol of the world.  Stay in one.

https://www.earthshipglobal.com/eco-nightly-rentals

image-asset.jpg

Edited by PRONG HORN

2 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Carry your lucky rabbits foot. Taos has some great snow.............. when it snows... and when it doesn't......

Base is something like 70" so we'll see if we get a bit of a topping off.  Either way, all new to me.

1 minute ago, texasdago said:

Base is something like 70" so we'll see if we get a bit of a topping off.  Either way, all new to me.

Taos has been on my list for a while, but I've always been scared away by the lots of snow or no snow issue they have at times. Supposed to be off the charts when they get a big dump.  Good luck..

Crested Butte is nice right now, even during Spring Break. Not many lift lines to speak of, and the snow is great.

Steamboat is the opposite. We came again after first visiting at New Years. I was hoping the longer lift lines and congested runs were just the New Years/Christmas crowd. I was wrong