Ski Season 2019/2020

texasdago

On 2/28/2020 at 2:09 AM, Johnny Chimpo said:

Yea mammoth is great but don’t head up there thinking you’re gonna beat the crowd. Mammoth is the best resort SoCal folks can drive to, and they do it in droves. 

My buddy Who spent some time in Oregon always had a lot of good things to say about bachelor but I’ve never been myself. I hear Bend is a really cool town, too. 

I dig it.  ;)  Been here since December.

I'm not the experienced ski/snowboarder that make up the folks in this thread, though.  I just finished the "Ski or Ride in 5" program for snowboarding.  I like the sport a bunch, but I'm in strict newbie, still mess up linking turns, still fall getting off the lift sometimes territory.  And I'm an old and naturally uncoordinated, so it takes me longer to pick things like this up.

I can possibly help with this--the Bend area schools go on Spring Break March 23-27, which I believe is a week later than most of the Texas schools.  Weekends get pretty busy up there, but I've seen no lift lines like you see in some of the pics in this thread.   The President's weekend was pretty bad traffic wise.  

And of course, no idea what Corona virus stuff is going to do around here.  There is a confirmed case in the area that rumor states is a person in nursing home.  Schools currently still on normal schedule.  Drove by Costco and it looked insane. 

And being an excited newbie I just got my first board and was hoping to start using it next week (can't this week b/c work).  Selfish me says screw that virus, I'm going to the mountain anyway! 

Edited by MC Fresh Breath
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Everything is gonna shut down it looks like right now.  They can't get enough supplies probably.   Hell the toilet paper shortage alone has proably done more than anything to force the closures.

I know you’re wandering from sub forum to sub forum trying to downplay the risks of this virus, so I’m just going to continue to point out how silly this comment is. There’s no issue with the supply of toilet paper. The issue is there is a highly contagious virus with no known vaccine rapidly spreading throughout the US. That is what has forced the closures.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I know you’re wandering from sub forum to sub forum trying to downplay the risks of this virus, so I’m just going to continue to point out how silly this comment is. There’s no issue with the supply of toilet paper. The issue is there is a highly contagious virus with no known vaccine rapidly spreading throughout the US. That is what has forced the closures.

You're wrong about the gist of what I was commenting on, it's everything. Even places that want to stay open won't be able to. I'm not downplaying the virus. I've had a wait and see strategy since a week or two ago.  The son telling me the Air Force has stopped all travel until May, makes it serious to me.

Oh, and there is an issue with getting toilet paper, and a ski resort or any place with large crowds can't operate without it. Our local grocery stores have had multiple tractor trailer shipments disappear from shelves in less than an hour.  Toilet paper is just now the product that people are currently hoarding.  Let this thing grow a bit or other industries get shut down, (transportation) and you'll see food supplies become harder to get.

Respectfully, I don't need you telling me how much I should be worried.

9 minutes ago, Horns99 said:

Angel Fire done tomorrow. Looking like it’s the end of ski season everywhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you can skin there are hundreds of ski runs to choose from.  Snowmobile also.  There will be lots of skiing going on at every resort until the snow melts.  

We arrived in Telluride Saturday afternoon.  Shortly after checking into the hotel, we found out the mountain was closing.  We were supposed to be in our hotel for a night, then switch to a VRBO.  We were able to reschedule the VRBO to next year.  Spent one more night in Telluride.  Driving back to Texas now.  Telluride was a ghost town last night.  

1 minute ago, Larry Sellers said:

It’ll be interesting to see if the Ikon pass or Epic pass gives any discounts or partial refund for the ski resorts closing. I got my money’s worth this year but from Ikons Facebook page, I think they are working on something in terms of appeasing unhappy pass holders.

Yep we were discussing that as well, as we're typical shallow Americans. I didn't get my moneys worth as the second trip was cancelled. $50-$100 should be credited next season at least off the EPIC pass.

12 minutes ago, Larry Sellers said:

It’ll be interesting to see if the Ikon pass or Epic pass gives any discounts or partial refund for the ski resorts closing. I got my money’s worth this year but from Ikons Facebook page, I think they are working on something in terms of appeasing unhappy pass holders.

I buy the insurance with the pass every year.  Used it in 17 when I broke my leg.  I need to look into it; however, with 12 days on it, don’t know how much credit I’d get. 

1 minute ago, Upgrayedd said:

I buy the insurance with the pass every year.  Used it in 17 when I broke my leg.  I need to look into it; however, with 12 days on it, don’t know how much credit I’d get. 

Yeah not holding out much hope. Vail is the greediest mother fucking co. in the world.

11 minutes ago, ousuxndallas said:

CB, now a Vail property, emailed earlier this week that they would refund individual tickets purchased, but no refunds on season passes or Epic passes.

People should not be expecting a refund on their epic passes but a slight reduction in the cost next season is certainly warranted considering the cost of a walk up ticket pricePeople should be expecting a refund on their epic passes but a slight reduction in the cost next season is certainly warranted considering the cost of a walk up ticket price

Edited by Onboard 2.0

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ikon came out with its Covid policy for 19-20 ikon pass holders. Looks like they doubled the discount to $200 for full pass renewals. So $799 for early renewal instead of $899. They also extended the renewal deadline until May 26. Apparently the pass insurance doesn’t cover you if the resorts still don’t open up though next winter.

Ikon came out with its Covid policy for 19-20 ikon pass holders. Looks like they doubled the discount to $200 for full pass renewals. So $799 for early renewal instead of $899. They also extended the renewal deadline until May 26. Apparently the pass insurance doesn’t cover you if the resorts still don’t open up though next winter.
I wouldn't renew shit just yet.

35 minutes ago, Larry Sellers said:

Ikon is a bit more expensive than the EPIC pass I believe.  How many resorts honor it ?

Chewbacca, yeah you're right.... dammit.

36 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
2 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:
Ikon is a bit more expensive than the EPIC pass I believe.  How many resorts honor it ?
 Chewbacca, yeah you're right.... dammit.

I probably won't renew mine until fall at the earliest. I'm still not convinced we are going to get to ski next year.

I've resigned myself to this probability.

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:
3 hours ago, Upgrayedd said:
I've resigned myself to this probability.

On the positive side for you, mountain houses should be cheaper by the end of summer.

Right?  Just need to time it right for both of us to still be employed at closing 🙂 

May need to look into an AT setup.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Turns all year 🤘 

7F8517B5-29C1-4241-8C6E-A22FAC3463FE

0AC16F16-BA1E-4BF9-8D39-6F01A718C79C

Opting for extreme social distancing, I summited Mt Hood yesterday.  A climbing buddy and I skinned up from elevation 6k ft to 10k ft, then ditched skis and packs, put crampons on the ski boots and climbed another 1000ft to the top. ~7hrs round trip, only 45 min of which was skiing off the volcano.

VVV Looking up with 1000 feet to go, you can see two climbers on the snow coming down from the summit center left up high

DC0FAB60-1126-4456-91C9-AF816E37A5D8

B1914CBD-1A67-4DCB-8A6E-AE920605B81E

140177F9-54B5-4199-941D-5D66DD72AE4D

VVV Reverse four point crawl down that ice chute off the summit.  Would have felt a lot safer with ropes.  The holds were solid but I won't be tempting the odds like that again any time soon, if ever if I can avoid it.  There's no way around the final technical section below the summit.  Most people don't rope up.  The prevailing conditions determine the risk.  We were fortunate to safely get up and down.

A9DD18DC-57A8-47DA-A74E-CC984A1E9167

re above, the view down from that point  VVV

FF823980-756A-4F1C-A31F-D58E5B132416

Last ones off the mountain (climbing bud)

46FFDC28-8E59-4EC8-A624-9F0A9015215C

4BBFA8E7-8C7F-43A8-8376-80DFCD11E30F

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Turns all year Part 2 🤘

I summited Mt. Adams (elev 12,281) yesterday for the first time and did a ski descent with two buddies.  Almost a 7000 ft vertical climb up, and an uninterrupted 4000 ft ski down via the SW chutes.  Our route took us about 11 hrs and 14 mi round trip.  At the summit, the visibility allowed seeing Mt. Baker 178mi to the north, just south of the Canadian border, and Sisters mountains 150 mi to the south in central Oregon.  I am completely wrecked today, but the ski descent is an epic 10/10.

VVV heading up to Piker's peak (aka the false summit)

CECD271A-9031-4078-AC3F-10BC10AD1EA1

024807F1-1846-4AA0-A7A7-9D434FBCF678

VVV top of Piker's (still over 700 ft. elev. to gain to reach summit) 

B773427D-42C0-4D1F-B803-3C9F0936C7AB

VVV SW chutes descent 

CBB3A561-9E2F-400E-BC2C-1E08D9948CEC

1076C0A2-5A42-4D6D-8DE7-CF1F5D9CAD87

2F376991-D6AC-4D97-8560-4E8A697AB03B

VVV Looking back up from about 5000ft below summit and start of SW chutes between/below the two snowy peak bumps at top.

641575BF-3424-4F86-816F-C8A080288CEC

VVV The brutal part was not picking a higher elevation to traverse back over to the South Climb route we ascended .  When the snow ended, we bushwhacked down another 500ft with boots and skis on our backs to find the round-the-mountain trail and hiked 2 more mi on that (more like a steeplechase this time of year) before finding the path to base.  Start of bushwhack with Mt. Hood on the horizon VV

A9A489BB-CE47-4789-9C62-917CD50B912F

Probably the biggest plus about this climb and descent is that it's generally not technical, with minimal fatal fall risk.  And I can't think of another peak in the PNW that lets you view so many other major peaks spanning hundreds of miles.

I highly recommend this mountain 🤘

Edited by triplehorn
  • Like 2