Ski Season 2019/2020

texasdago

51 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

PRO TIP: Never, and I mean neeeeeever go to VAIL on the weekend, or any other ski resort if you can avoid it.  I generally use the weekend days as hang out/recovery/rest days if possible. Or hit first chair up the mountain, get some good morning runs in, and then get off the hill before the crowds start clogging the lift lines.

Colorado is way too fucking crowded.

Utah is the answer. If you stay away from Park City, most other Utah resorts don't have the long ass Disneyland lines on weekends.

Seriously, how many runs do the Colorado people get a day? That's a lot of time spent waiting in lift lines.

Edited by crash_davis

6 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Utah is the answer. If you stay away from Park City, most other Utah resorts don't have the long ass Disneyland lines on weekends.

Seriously, how many runs do the Colorado people get a day? That's a lot of time spent waiting in life lines.

not all colorado resorts are like the i-70 corridor shitshows. it's incredibly rare for me to not ski right up to the chair, regardless of day of the week or week of the year.

but, yeah...something has to give with the i-70 resorts. and when you realize most of those people are waking up at the butt crack of dawn in denver, spending 3-4 hours in bumper to bumper traffic to get there then spending 4+ that evening to get home...? insanity.

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

Seriously, how many runs do the Colorado people get a day? That's a lot of time spent waiting in lift lines.

Depends on the day and resort. We were lapping runs in Breck up until Saturday morning 2 weeks ago. Just finished booking an airbnb in Park city for March.

Week days are the best days always.  Fewer day trippers, and weekend warriors.

5 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Depends on the day and resort. We were lapping runs in Breck up until Saturday morning 2 weeks ago. Just finished booking an airbnb in Park city for March.

Week days are the best days always.  Fewer day trippers, and weekend warriors.

PCMR is no bueno. Way too many other resorts within an hours drive where you don't stand in line all day. I highly recommend Snowbasin. Great mountain, long runs, good lift system and 1/4 of the crowd of PCMR.

2 hours ago, crash_davis said:

PCMR is no bueno. Way too many other resorts within an hours drive where you don't stand in line all day. I highly recommend Snowbasin. Great mountain, long runs, good lift system and 1/4 of the crowd of PCMR.

As long as the wind isn't blowing it's the best spot in the state. Plenty of terrain, rarely crowded and you get the sun valley hospitality. 

Only problem is you aren't 30 seconds from food drink and hotel like you are in PC. But, you're only 20ish minutes from downtown Ogden which has revitalized quite a bit in the past 15 years. 

48 minutes ago, pops said:

As long as the wind isn't blowing it's the best spot in the state. Plenty of terrain, rarely crowded and you get the sun valley hospitality. 

Only problem is you aren't 30 seconds from food drink and hotel like you are in PC. But, you're only 20ish minutes from downtown Ogden which has revitalized quite a bit in the past 15 years. 

You wake up in the morning, and look at the snow report for the day. Then you go to the resort with the best snow, easy peazy.  PC, Alta, Canyons, Bluebird, Snow Basin, Deer Valley <<<under protest usually.  Everything is about 45-60 minutes max from PC, except Snow Basin I believe.

12 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
14 hours ago, Sbbruin said:
Yeah, no fucking way do I go anywhere near that line.

You're stuck in a bowl. You have no choice. I guess you could walk out.

^This.  The worst two areas to get stuck in at Vail are Gamecreek and Sundown/Lower Sunup bowls.  Can't really ski out.  Mechanical issues at the other back bowl lifts you can manage by skiing Blue Sky (or skiing down to Tea Cup if Orient has issues) until the problem goes away.  Not saying that's what happened here, but it sure looks that way.

Edit:  Or . . . ops doesn't open any of the other back bowl lifts or Blue Sky Basin, so you funnel the entire mass of humanity onto that chair (which looking at Vail Ops twitter appears to be the case.  There are signs indicating which lifts are open before you go back there.  I'm not too sympathetic if you go back there knowing that there is only one lift out operating.

Edited by Upgrayedd
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Well, it'd only be the climb up. You can strap in and ride/ski down the mountain.

After seeing that line, I'd choose the nice hike.

You are absolutely correct.  1 mile to get to the top of the bowl.  Probably 3.5 miles back to the base area.

I suppose you could hike up the catwalk to where Sun Up loads.  That's also probably a mile.  Maybe 2/3 the vertical.  

39 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

you can have my setup. dumbest fucking thing i ever bought. who in the right mind skis up a mountain?

Yeah, I've never understood seeing people at the resort who are skinning up runs you can reach from the lift.  Some sickos just enjoy that shit, I guess.

Just now, Chewbacca said:

Yeah, I've never understood seeing people at the resort who are skinning up runs you can reach from the lift.  Some sickos just enjoy that shit, I guess.

I was in Aspen last year and got off one of the gondolas.  Can't remember which one.  I was stepping into my skis when a guy was just getting to where I was that had done this.  I struck up a short conversation and asked if he did it for any reason other than the exercise.  He said he did it so he didn't have to pay for lift tickets.  He said he couldn't afford them.

4 minutes ago, smwhorn said:

I was in Aspen last year and got off one of the gondolas.  Can't remember which one.  I was stepping into my skis when a guy was just getting to where I was that had done this.  I struck up a short conversation and asked if he did it for any reason other than the exercise.  He said he did it so he didn't have to pay for lift tickets.  He said he couldn't afford them.

I suspect for most, this isn't it.  If you can afford all the gear, a season pass isn't going to break the bank.  I think I paid $449 for my WP season pass this year.  A good pair of skis with AT bindings on them is going to be roughly double that.

3 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Been there, done that.

fake an injury and take body bag back..  actually I have been in body bag - not as much fun as it looks

Edit - never mind. Further reading says lift was going up before down.

Edited by AUinHsv

I'm going to be in Breck thur-sun.  Any advice from the Surly Co guys?

I was there around New Year’s. It was too crowded then. Hopefully, that’s all past now. Other than the crowd it was great. All of the restaurants on the mountain and at the bases were good. The Brewery was very good and a bargain. If I can remember the nice restaurant on Main Street that we went to I will post it. It was very good. It was our first time to Breck and I would go back but only if it is not a peak time.

2 hours ago, PRONG HORN said:

These pics aren't back bowl lines.  

sv4gr6hi7.jpg

h97g.jpg

That is absolutely fucking crazy. I would quit skiing if I had to endure a day of that shit. I was joking about a 2 or 3 run day but I think that's best case from looking pics. HOLY SHIT. I'm never going to complain about Park City again.

The crazy thing is High Noon is reached by all black diamond - it’s a back bowl, and not overrun with beginners. Was there between Christmas and New Year and didn’t see anything like that - had to be a mechanical issue maybe?

Still not fond of Vail - the mountain layout just didn’t work for me. Had to spend a lot of time getting to those choice diamond areas, even with moderate lines. 

Edited by Txzen