I'm retarded: going to Disney in 2 weeks.

markstanco

Thank yall for the help. We drove from orlando to destin today to hang out here till monday or Tuesday then west bound and down.

Averaged 19,000 steps a day, but with 110 heat index you crush 8 powerades a day and about the same with water (no Gatorade, thanks a lot obama). Still would have failed the pee color test. I bet I only pissed once a day.

The VR stuff is outstanding. Avatar is amazing, must see. The Chevy experience was cool as well. Soaring the World VR was kickass as well.

Roller coaster rides are meh, but its disney and not a coaster park. Kids had an amazing time which was worth it.

e3f9f1212fab65a57cce2addc6e38147.jpg97de5e44f81c9f5962bdcf9b5e272892.jpg

• Like 2

Having now been to both I think on weather alone Disneyland is superior to Disney World if just staying a few days and moving on like we did.

Stanco is talking 110 and probably ball sweat dripping everywhere.

I dealt with mid to upper 80s at worst sunshine sunshine sunshine and no humidity.

Just got back from Disneyland. Wow what a money pit. I found a section of the park that sold lemonade slushies thank god so I didn't sweat my ass off all the time. Also, fuck paper straws.
Yea the paper straw thing is wack. Better have your drink done in under 3 minutes.

Also, disney is "going green" and no more sacks for your over priced Mickey mouse products you buy from them. You have to buy a cloth bag for your $25 12 inch Mickey doll.

I am guessing they spend in the 6 figures for these plastic sacks for gifts. Under the guise of being green, they are charging customers for bags now. If they were truly being green they would simply switch to the cloth bags at no charge.

• 2 weeks later...

Just did Magic Kingdom today and let me tell ya......what a perfect day to go. 1) It's a Sunday 2) Likely most kids go to school tomorrow for 1st day and 3) the high was 87 degrees.

It just never felt congested or too busy like Disneyland when I went last year in June. We did all the princess stuff for my daughter, I think 7 in total, rode rides, ate at the Be Our Guest restaurant which was fine and had an overall nice time which was a pleasant surprise. 

LeFou’s Brew is pretty good when it’s hot out. Get it at Gaston’s in Fantasyland. If you need a breather, hop on the Peoplemover in Tomorrowland. Takes you through Space Mountain.
Peoplemover is the most terrifying ride in all of Disney.

Always good for dad embarasssing the shit out of the kids.

I hate disney more than anything, however, i understand you have to pay homage to the mouse once in your life.  We did it and i hated every moment so yes, just bite down and get it over with.
-drinking around the world is indeed the highlight.  pace yourself....i was stumbling by the time i got to japan.
-we had one of those disney planners do our entire trip.  when we got to our hotel i sat down with the concierge and she threw our plan away and re-did it.  MUCH better than what we had planned.  someone else said to use the people who work there for advice, do it. 
-you will see the worst in people while you are there.  i helped an old lady up who got trampled after the fireworks one night.  people suck and disney is a magnet for those people.  foreigners, generally speaking, have little to no manners, watch your 6.  
-get a bottle of good bourbon on your way to the hotel, dont buy booze on campus if you can avoid it.

have fun. 
ABC Liquor in LBV on Apopka Vineland is legit.

Left out return to the park in the evening for nighttime entertainment. 
Take rain gear for those afternoon storms. Nothing greater than an hour long storm emptying the park while you’re comfortably cruising around in rain gear that breathes while everyone else is dying in a vinyl poncho that they just bought for $15/person.
Rain gear?

Frogg Toggs is what you want.

Those that have went, did you carry a small backpack? I have a small camelbak BP that I can take the water holder out and use when i ski. I will not be fanny packing.

Tropical disturbance south of florida so we may see rain so i think i will pack some ponchos as long as no regulations against them. It looks like from their website it's fine.
No problem with panchos (except for explosive diaorrhea next day) unless the pancho doubles as a selfie stick.

I don't know man. Epcot is weird. I don't think your older kids want to traverse the countries and learn about shit. Magic Kingdom has more than princesses. There are fun and classic rides there, too. Space Mountain, Big Thunder, etc for thrill rides. Haunted Mansion and Pirates and Jungle Cruise, etc are still fun. I enjoyed it in High School and college. 
HS has the Rockin Roller Coaster and Tower of Terror which are both pretty extreme thrill rides. Other stuff - not so much. 
AK has Everest which imo is up there with some of the top coasters at a place like Cedar Point. But that's it. Oh I guess also the Avatar ride Flight of Passage is pretty sweet if they can get a FP+ for it. Get em a park hopper so they can hit all of those. 
Rockin Roller coaster is better than everest. But everest single rider line is the tits. Spend 45 min in reg line or split up, go to the right side of the dump store and go single rider. 5 minutes. Boom. Waited in line once to see all the preshow shit then single rider all day.

I have to say... I'm a first timer and the "Disney Customer Service" world class/best in breed/studied in business schools is alive and well. A story:

We did the Frozen sing-a-long at Hollywood Studios and an $8 pen I'd just bought a few hours before must have fallen in the arms or the cracks or something. Anyways, I wait until everyone clears out and I use my flashlight on my phone to try and find it because, well, $8 dude. Couldn't find it, okay whatever, I say "Thanks for letting me look" and maybe I looked dejected but more likely I was just hot and tired and worn out from a long day and the cast member was like, hang on.

She walked with me out to the nearest stand and got another cast member who offered to walk with us to a souvenir shop and give us a replacement. I tell him, I really appreciate the offer and definitely appreciate the gesture, but I have a fast pass for Indiana Jones and it's the last one of the day, so I'll just eat the $8 thanks. This is when it gets good.

The guy says, no worries. Takes me to the back entrance of Indy, takes me down to the front row VIP section and says I'll be back with your pen. Then as he turns to leave he slips me a paper fast pass good for the Aerosmith roller coaster I'd been wanting to ride. I cancel the original fast pass so I now have 2 extra (though it's getting late) and five minutes later he presents to me a $12 pen.

That is why we pay the big bucks to eat and drink and buy a bunch of stuff there, I guess, but every experience from the 1950's diner to people sneaking us in to the character meets, etc. has been unlike anything you see outside of the Disney resorts.

Edited by Rougarou

On 6/29/2019 at 9:04 AM, AustinMT said:

If you are staying at a Disney Hotel, use the extra hours (Magic hours) where certain parks on certain days hav the hours for only Disney hotel guests

Use the fast passes, but read on how to best use them.  You can book a limited number of rides in advance

Try to plan out how to attack each park in advance instead of stumbling through and hoping to get lucky

Best restaurant at Epcot is the one at the Canada area.  You need to book it well in advance

The Steakhouse?

On 8/21/2019 at 4:59 PM, Rougarou said:

I have to say... I'm a first timer and the "Disney Customer Service" world class/best in breed/studied in business schools is alive and well. A story:

We did the Frozen sing-a-long at Hollywood Studios and an $8 pen I'd just bought a few hours before must have fallen in the arms or the cracks or something. Anyways, I wait until everyone clears out and I use my flashlight on my phone to try and find it because, well, $8 dude. Couldn't find it, okay whatever, I say "Thanks for letting me look" and maybe I looked dejected but more likely I was just hot and tired and worn out from a long day and the cast member was like, hang on.

She walked with me out to the nearest stand and got another cast member who offered to walk with us to a souvenir shop and give us a replacement. I tell him, I really appreciate the offer and definitely appreciate the gesture, but I have a fast pass for Indiana Jones and it's the last one of the day, so I'll just eat the $8 thanks. This is when it gets good.

The guy says, no worries. Takes me to the back entrance of Indy, takes me down to the front row VIP section and says I'll be back with your pen. Then as he turns to leave he slips me a paper fast pass good for the Aerosmith roller coaster I'd been wanting to ride. I cancel the original fast pass so I now have 2 extra (though it's getting late) and five minutes later he presents to me a $12 pen.

That is why we pay the big bucks to eat and drink and buy a bunch of stuff there, I guess, but every experience from the 1950's diner to people sneaking us in to the character meets, etc. has been unlike anything you see outside of the Disney resorts.

Ah yeah we did that shit all the time. The best one I heard during my time working there was from the Mexico pavilion of Epcot. Family is getting on boat ride at Mexico and lady was forced to throw away a margarita  because you can't take drinks on the ride and the cast member working just got his break so he ran over to the restaurant and got another one for the lady and had it waiting for her by the time the ride ended. Management wasn't too happy because alcohol, but the guests were thrilled. I don't think we discussed the new Universal park coming TBA

View image on Twitter

Looks nice and hopefully keeps Disney working to create better attractions...oh who am I kidding they'll just slap IP on everything and call it a day.

• 4 months later...

So we just got back from a week long trip to d-world. Been to d-land 2 before. Stayed at Polynesian in suite/concierge level room. Man it was really good. Free full breakfast and lunch dinner appetizers walk in and available thru room service. Free drinks. We carried in water bottles, food and cokes from the club area. Saved tons of money. We paid a premium but was well worth it. Resort was really nice.
CSB:
In Hollywood Studios, my 2 yo kid dropped a bracelet down in a light pole base. While looking, a worker walked by and asked what happened. Told him. Worker says hang on and calls another worker. Guy comes up and asks what the bracelet looked like and walks off asking us to wait. Comes back with a replacement. Im mean damn. It was just a $7 bracelet but was really nice of the to do. We appreciated it../ csb

4 hours ago, williemackgarza said:

In Hollywood Studios, my 2 yo kid dropped a bracelet down in a light pole base. While looking, a worker walked by and asked what happened. Told him. Worker says hang on and calls another worker. Guy comes up and asks what the bracelet looked like and walks off asking us to wait. Comes back with a replacement. Im mean damn. It was just a $7 bracelet but was really nice of the to do. We appreciated it../ csb

Yeah, that little stuff is what makes Disney Disney.  They just do it better than anyone else.

3 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Yeah, that little stuff is what makes Disney Disney.  They just do it better than anyone else.

Years ago, on my first trip to Disney, got the kids to Magic Kingdom, got through the entrance and it started raining.  Kids were young, and they started crying because they thought the day was going to get ruined. We ducked under cover by a restaurant.  Turns out they were doing a character breakfast. One of the restaurant workers saw the kids crying a brought a a couple of the characters (can’t remember which) for a quick hug and to sign their books.  All was well, and the rain stopped in about 15 minutes.

They really do get it when it comes to things like that.

Need to read the whole thread still. Just scanning through there's lots of good info. I'm sure a ton has changed in the 20+ years since I was there last.

We're doing Disney World the last week of May. Only three days in the parks so will likely skip Epcot until next time. Staying at Port Orleans.

I'm trying to research FastPass and dinner reservations now. Don't plan on getting any kind of meal plan unless it would be dumb not to? Also want to book some kind of character experience thing for the girls.

No need for a meal plan unless you like having it prepaid.  They don't tell you that the save up XX% would take eating the most expensive thing at the most expensive restaurants in the plan every meal.  I f you eat lighter fare it may actually cost you more.

WDW- may have a pay for fast passes system like Disneyland's by May. https://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/archives/2019/12/31/the-long-rumored-upcharge-fastpass-program-at-wdw-looks-like-its-finally-about-to-launch

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Going to Disneyland next month. It will be our second time. First time was a little rough as I was used to DW's fast pass system.

What's the scoop on the Play Disney App? Looks like something you use when waiting in certain ride lines. I hate how much we use our phone for the regular Disney app. 

Anyone done Savi's workshop at Galaxy's Edge. We really want to but the $200 per participant is steep. 

Play Disney app is more of a time killer when in line. Use the Maxpass system which blows away the WDW system. $20 per person but completely worth it as you can jump from Fastpass to Fastpass the entire day

We’re doing a San Diego/DLR trip in June. Youngest has been saving up for a purple light saber. 

Play Disney app is more of a time killer when in line. Use the Maxpass system which blows away the WDW system. $20 per person but completely worth it as you can jump from Fastpass to Fastpass the entire day
We’re doing a San Diego/DLR trip in June. Youngest has been saving up for a purple light saber. 

The best thing about MaxPass is that if a ride you’re holding one for goes down, it converts to an any ride any time FastPass.

On 1/21/2020 at 10:30 AM, Baboontyme said:

Your FP window is 60 days. Mark it on your calendar for 60 days from your first park day and plan on being online at 7 AM or whatever time they open it. 

we're going after easter for 2 days and wife was up a few days ago at 5:45am for the FP 60 day shit. 

shes in some facebook disney mom groups full of crazies and hardcores where shes gathered some info on what to and what not to do. this is going to be a beating 

Chiming in.

Went to WDW last summer.  Get home, and a few weeks later wife tells me she wants to go back this summer (as a 40th birthday present to her).  I'm good with that, but after a few days, I tell her there's no way the two of us can go and leave our kids at home, so the trip was booked....last August?  September?  I have no idea.

I think we are in for 10 days this year.  All of the Star Wars shit is the highlight, so I suspect  have full knowledge I'll drop more than usual on stuff.  I think we are staying at the Contemporary this time.  Wife takes care of all the fast passes/meal plan/scheduling stuff.  It's her wheelhouse.  

After this summer, we have agreed to take a break from Disney for a while.  3 trips in 5 years to WDW kinda adds up, and not just financially.

3 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

The best thing about MaxPass is that if a ride you’re holding one for goes down, it converts to an any ride any time FastPass.

They just added the Millenium Falcon ride as a Maxpass option which is very nice. Though the Rise of the Resistance is still ridiculous. Something like the boarding group passes go up at 8am and are gone in 60 seconds. Then you have to hope you didn't get the backup boarding party that probably has no chance of getting on if the ride goes down at any point of the day. I'm hoping by June, it's more ironed out. We're going for 3 days so I figure we'll get a chance to get on it at least once.