2018 Masters

markstanco

My random rambling thoughts...

Will be interesting to see how Tiger and Jordan do. Neither are driving the ball particularly well, though Jordan righted some of those demons in Houston. Both are hitting exceptional iron shots. Both have hot putters, with Jordan's finally picking up the pace this past weekend.

Augusta never looks like a tough driving course but if you miss bad, it's real bad - you'll have no chance of getting yourself on the right side of the green to avoid a 3 putt or worse. Having a semi erratic but not off the grid driver may not hurt Tiger and Jordan as much as other weeks.

JT has seemingly dominated every course he's stepped foot on lately, as has Jon Rahm. Hard to bet against them. Justin Rose is a popular pick and for good reason. And then there is DJ avoiding stairs and Rory going for the slam...

Man, so many story lines. This is going to be an awesome Masters.

Hoping Tiger is healthy and if he shits the bed, no excuses but I would love to see him with a shot on Sunday. If Jordan is in lead, no blowups at end of round Saturday or on Sunday. Also rooting for honorary horn and austonian Sergio, unbelievable how this guy is now a crowd favorite after a career of being a twerp.  Doug Ghim is in the field, be great to have finish as low am. I always forget about Vegas but he just keeps grinding and is in the field.

Rahm, Rory, Dustin are guys who are tough to beat if they are on.

Off the radar guys I'll track: Cabrera(because I'll never forget what I saw him do at Oakmont), Shauffele, Cameron Smith, Louis & Parziale 

I'm thinking that Jordans week in Houston, along with his finish and holing a bomb to save par on the last hole gives him so pretty good confidence heading into the Masters, a course he loves playing. Tiger, Phil, JT, Bubba all playing well. Could be an amazing Masters week, I can't wait to watch!!

Let's see if we can get people to guess in a surly Masters contest:

A) Winner & score
B) Best performance by a prior Masters winner & by a non-prior Masters winner
C) Worst performance by a prior winner (I'm leaning to a "W" - Willet, Woosnam, or Wier)
D) Best performance by - DJ, Jordan, JT, Rory, Phil or Bubba
E) Cut line

1 hour ago, Goodman said:

Hoping Tiger is healthy and if he shits the bed, no excuses but I would love to see him with a shot on Sunday. If Jordan is in lead, no blowups at end of round Saturday or on Sunday. Also rooting for honorary horn and austonian Sergio, unbelievable how this guy is now a crowd favorite after a career of being a twerp.  Doug Ghim is in the field, be great to have finish as low am. I always forget about Vegas but he just keeps grinding and is in the field.

Rahm, Rory, Dustin are guys who are tough to beat if they are on.

Off the radar guys I'll track: Cabrera(because I'll never forget what I saw him do at Oakmont), Shauffele, Cameron Smith, Louis & Parziale 

Dylan Frittelli is the other Longhorn in the field. Has a pretty experienced game.

• Fuck You 1

I've been thinking about doing this for a few years, and finally, it is all coming together for what seems like it is going to be an awesome tournament.  Getting snipped on Friday morning, should be home by 10 am, and have informed the wife I will be in the media room recovering all weekend.  I do have some kid's baseball & soccer games on Saturday, but they are from 10-12, so that should work out perfectly.  I've probably just jinxed myself and someone is going to run away with it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JSB said:

I've been thinking about doing this for a few years, and finally, it is all coming together for what seems like it is going to be an awesome tournament.  Getting snipped on Friday morning, should be home by 10 am, and have informed the wife I will be in the media room recovering all weekend.  I do have some kid's baseball & soccer games on Saturday, but they are from 10-12, so that should work out perfectly.  I've probably just jinxed myself and someone is going to run away with it

I tried this exact same thing this year but was told I was months too late to get on the Dr.'s schedule for Masters weekend.

1 hour ago, Goodman said:

With that comment you better be flying private. If you're not, welcome to the pity party. 

Haha, nope no private.  Not so sure about the pity party though.  I've been fortunate enough to attend every year except two since 1997 and have invited 70-80 guests to attend as well.  I'll have seven this year, It will be the first trip for four of the seven.  Every night we'll be sitting in the back yard enjoying Raes creek as it flows by while  burning steaks, sipping whiskey, and smoking cigars.  All about a mile and a half from the back gate. 

Edited by Pom
change wording

5 minutes ago, Pom said:

Haha, nope no private.  Not so sure about the pity party though.  I've been fortunate enough to attend every year except two since 1997 and have invited 70-80 guests to attend as well.  I'll have seven this year, It will be the first trip for four of the seven.  Every night we'll be sitting in the back yard enjoying Raes creek as it flows by while  burning steaks, sipping whiskey, and smoking cigars.  All about a mile and a half from the back gate. 

I am currently accepting invitations for the 2019 Masters.  I can supply the steaks, booze and smokes

• Like 1

with no Koepka in the field, I had to take someone else....what is the prevailing feeling about Matsuyama this year?  haven't heard much from him, but don't get to watch as much as I'd like.

Yeah, I could Google it, but I would like to hear some input from the experts here as well. 

7 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

A) Winner & score
C) Worst performance by a prior winner (I'm leaning to a "W" - Willet, Woosnam, or Wier)
E) Cut line

your list sucks, A, B and D are basically the same question, but here goes:

Thomas -11

Tiger, Thomas I guess since I have him winning

Wier

JT

+4

8 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

A) Winner & score
E) Cut line

A) Spieth -12

B) Spieth , Rose

C) Lyle

D) Spieth

E) +1

51 minutes ago, bigup2dahorns said:

I was one of those guests of Pom to the Masters and it was awesome. Especially staying at the house so close to the course. Good time had by all. Highly recommend the experience should you get the invite. 

You dog, you!

4 hours ago, babysdaddy said:

Rory, Dj, Sergio, Rose, Spieth, JT, Tiger, Phil, Bubba, Day, Ricky, Henrik, Casey, Hideki, Reed??, Rahm, Noren, Pieters, fkn Poulter.  All are playing well and all have a great shot.  Really fired up for this.

Good list.  I would have to add Kisner.  He is a great putter, keeps it in play.

The beauty of Augusta is only a few guys "get it".  It's not who can hit the long ball, who's hot, who happens to be putting well, or any of that crap.  It's who knows the ropes.  Jordan, Bubba(unfortunately), Tiger(obviously) and Phil get it.  Willet, please.  Jordan gave that to him.  I hope that never happens again to anyone.

6 minutes ago, Longhornanth said:

Will bring pappys and Blantons

Seriously tho I’ll be there wed night and Thursday night and going Thursday and Friday this year and staying about a mile from the grounds. Maybe we can catch a cigar together.

Absolutely!  Sent pm.

Edited by Pom

Pom's Masters adventure.  Got to go to a practice round as a guest in 1997 then ten of us applied for 1998 practice round tickets.  I was the only one selected and four of us got to go.  Went again in 1999 for the actual tournament as a guest.  Received a letter from the club advising that they we reopening the waiting list for the first time since 1978 and would i like to enter my name in another lottery for admission to the list, duhh.  

A few months pass then I receive another letter announcing that I have been selected to be added to the waiting list and can anticipate having the opportunity to purchase Masters badges in the foreseeable future.

I've had my own tickets since the 2000 Masters.

All the letters are framed.

• Like 4

Pom's Masters adventure.  Got to go to a practice round as a guest in 1997 then ten of us applied for 1998 practice round tickets.  I was the only one selected and four of us got to go.  Went again in 1999 for the actual tournament as a guest.  Received a letter from the club advising that they we reopening the waiting list for the first time since 1978 and would i like to enter my name in another lottery for admission to the list, duhh.  
A few months pass then I receive another letter announcing that I have been selected to be added to the waiting list and can anticipate having the opportunity to purchase Masters badges in the foreseeable future.
I've had my own tickets since the 2000 Masters.
All the letters are framed.

That’s just fucking sick. Absolutely unreal. Congrats man.