2018 Masters

markstanco

19 minutes ago, Horn21 said:

That seems to be an accurate statement regarding the established guys on tour when Phil was the cocky young guy coming up. 

I think the current tour guys really like Phil quite a bit. I think that is partly because a lot of the young guys grew up as fans of his and partly because Phil has grown up and isn't the same guy he was 20 years ago.

I have no doubt that the Ryder and Presidents Cup guys are huge fans.

Agreed. Just interesting that a guy that was pretty high on himself when younger now has relaxed a bit and is more well liked. Hopefully the same "growth" will happen with Reed. 

7 minutes ago, JimmyHoffa said:

Agreed. Just interesting that a guy that was pretty high on himself when younger now has relaxed a bit and is more well liked. Hopefully the same "growth" will happen with Reed. 

I think Shane Ryan did a great job of describing why Reed is disliked in a series of tweets after he won on Sunday...

https://twitter.com/ShaneRyanHere/status/983350776855711744

2 hours ago, trueut2003 said:

Makes sense, but Tiger never gave us anything either, and people loved him. But, he was also Tiger.

Tiger gave us a run of the best golf every played.  That bought him some leeway.

Bailing on your parents and sister is a bridge too far for a lot of folks, too.

never cared enough about Reed to know about this family crap. From what was posted, it appears his wife and her family are where this split comes from. Not talking to you kid sister because your svengali wife wont allow it is seriously fucked up. Having your kid sister esorted off the course is fucked up.

starting to think he might be an asshole.  

30 minutes ago, llanoflash said:

never cared enough about Reed to know about this family crap. From what was posted, it appears his wife and her family are where this split comes from. Not talking to you kid sister because your svengali wife wont allow it is seriously fucked up. Having your kid sister esorted off the course is fucked up.

starting to think he might be an asshole.  

This isn't an either/or situation. There is more than enough room in the asshole universe for all of them to be assholes.  His sister is in her 20s, I believe.  She's old enough to be an asshole all on her own.  And of course, there is plenty of room for Patrick Reed to be an asshole, which he certainly appears to be.

Having said that, and as Shane Ryan pointed out, it's pretty rare for a person to sever familial ties for no reason.  And the current narrative is being shaped largely by Patrick's parents, as their side is the only one speaking publicly.  

IMO, I think the most likely reality is that Patrick Reed is an asshole, with an asshole sister, both being raised by assholes and he happened to marry an asshole.

Sounds like the entire lot of them would fit right in around here.

1 minute ago, Horn21 said:

This isn't an either/or situation. There is more than enough room in the asshole universe for all of them to be assholes.  His sister is in her 20s, I believe.  She's old enough to be an asshole all on her own.  And of course, there is plenty of room for Patrick Reed to be an asshole, which he certainly appears to be.

Having said that, and as Shane Ryan pointed out, it's pretty rare for a person to sever familial ties for no reason.  And the current narrative is being shaped largely by Patrick's parents, as their side is the only one speaking publicly.  

IMO, I think the most likely reality is that Patrick Reed is an asshole, with an asshole sister, both being raised by assholes and he happened to marry an asshole.

There are many different types of assholes. The cunty, steal from your teammates type of asshole seems to get pushed out pretty quickly around here (excluding the cloakroom where it’s celebrated).

2 minutes ago, heso said:

There are many different types of assholes. The cunty, steal from your teammates type of asshole seems to get pushed out pretty quickly around here (excluding the cloakroom where it’s celebrated).

No doubt.  I got grief from a couple buddies last year for being in the "fuck PR" camp because of that stuff.  They thought I was nuts for hating on Captain America.

I just don't buy the sob story coming from his parents and sister.

Haven't read shit about P Reed but when a dude gets paid and cuts off his poor relatives in the process, one side is usually pretty pissed.  But hey, apple trees don't make oranges.  They clearly raised a dickhead.  Everyone is an asshole in this story and I will openly cheer against Reed outside of the Ryder Cup.....in which he becomes my favorite american golfer.  He is really going to aggravate those Parisians this year.  

Everyone has f'd up family somewhere.  I didn't talk to my younger brother for 10+ years, but was pretty close to my mom's side and my dad's side. Ok let's assume his parents and kid sister are assholes, what about grandparents, cousins,  aunt, uncle....something someone?????  It's all her family, something somewhere ain't right with Patrick and/or his wife

9 hours ago, Amos Moses said:

I don't like the look of Reed what with his bloated, punchable face, and will enjoy rooting against him for many majors to come.  

Hear, hear!  There should be a lottery to be the first to punch that loser in the fat, ugly face.

47 minutes ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

So everyone in attendance won the ticket lottery?

No. The bulk of the patrons have tickets that can be thought of as "season tickets." They are on the list and can buy tickets every year. There is a wait list to get on that that list, but they don't take new applicants for that right now (they closed the waitlist in 1978 and briefly re-opened it in 2000).

There are a small number of tickets that are available through a lottery to the public. The same lottery is used to get tickets to practice rounds too. You have to register on Masters.com to get in that lottery. There is usually a Thread that tracks when the lottery is opened and everyone checks in when their application is rejected.

The other option is to get a ticket through a broker, at the high cost that is.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Horn21 said:

15 hours ago, heso said:

I'm gonna throw my 2¢ into this ongoing discussion and make my uneducated guess about the Reed family schism.

Timing of the split leads me to believe that his family had some issue with him marrying his wife, I going to guess that things were said and lines were drawn. Patty Reed sided with his wife, and they have left behind the problems. There are always 2 sides to this and I feel bad for all of them for airing their issues publicly, and using the Masters media circus to tear the scab off this scar.
And while I'm not a fan of people (allegedly) stealing from team mates, cheating on the course, and DUI's; I find it ironic that if you win enough majors then people can get past your man-whoring/cheating or your drug using, sleeping with other players wives (allegedly) past and wish you well in your comeback.

In the end these guys are renowned for their ability to hit golf balls, some do better than other at life.
I'm not going to boo him, or root against him - but I also won't be pulling for him to win either. There are 100 winners on tour, and what 20 major winners who still play - so pick someone you like to root for.

Sidenote/disclaimer - I was (and still am) a huge Freddie fan, and his personal life is somewhat troubling. But man he has a beautiful swing.

1 hour ago, Wally Fairway said:

And while I'm not a fan of people (allegedly) stealing from team mates, cheating on the course, and DUI's; I find it ironic that if you win enough majors then people can get past your man-whoring/cheating or your drug using, sleeping with other players wives (allegedly) past and wish you well in your comeback.

Is this DJ shade or Tiger shade?  

1 hour ago, Wally Fairway said:

I'm gonna throw my 2¢ into this ongoing discussion and make my uneducated guess about the Reed family schism.

I may be misreading this, but Reed seems like he's still a troubled young man. Most post-Masters interviews involve the champ with a big smile on his face. Most seem relieved to have finally gotten there. Reed rehashed the fact that Golf Channel picked against him.

Seems like a lot of underlying sadness there.

Edited by retread

22 hours ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Shifting gears, how difficult and expensive is it to get tickets and a place to stay?
Aiming to go for a day or two next year with some friends but have no idea.

Mastershousing.com is a good place to start.  Brokers are your best option for tickets, plan on something around 2k or more per day each.  If you have any questions, I've been many times.  I put eight people plus myself on the course this year, six were first timers.

Edited by Pom
  • Like 1

It’s your classic case of parents telling a dude he’s marrying trash, dude telling wife, wife getting butt hurt, dude putting pussy on a pedestal and telling his parents to fuck off

This is a summary of my first marriage if you remove the pro golf stuff.

And in 2 months I'm done paying her off.

And dad and I just got a new boat.

It's a tale as old as time itself.

Hope PR reconciles with his family of origin.

On 4/10/2018 at 4:10 PM, Horn21 said:

Probably the type who would carry coffee and banana bread into the sanctuary for to their sister's child's baptism.

34 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Probably the type who would carry coffee and banana bread into the sanctuary for to their sister's child's baptism.

Now you're just taking unnecessary shots at PR and making him out to be a monster. 

That bread would have been inhaled before the receipt for it was even printed.