Pizza Hut - Pan Recipe Change (40 years in the making)

MrBig

Pizza Hut sucks the big one compared to what it was back in the day. Growing up in the 80s it was our go to place to eat and hang out. Tuesday nights they had all you could eat buffet . I drive by one close to where I live now in a regular basis and you hardly see any cars in the parking lot. Yea the mom and pops have filled the gap around here along with HEB Plus pizzeria (when it’s open). I get a few of those and pop in the oven. Better than any of the National brands either freshly prepared or frozen.

1 minute ago, tx 3 putt said:

1. Swayze is very passionate about his pizza 

2. PH sent me a coupon two weeks ago, $6.99 two topping large. Damn straight I used it 

Hahaha...who isn't passionate about pizza?  I am just saying, as an adult, if you live in a town or city large enough to have mom and pop places, why in the world would someone eat Pizza Hut?  Its like saying "I'm hungry for BBQ, lets hit Dicky's instead of Tejas (or Valentinas, Buck's, 2M, etc)."  And don't come back and say, its more like Rudy's.  No.

• Like 1

My hometown was so shitty, the old style 80s sit-down Hut was our fancy restaurant. It had the requisite sit down PacMan table plus Donkey Kong and Elevator Action. I have a bit of a soft spot for it since it was the first place that served me a beer when I was 16. I stole the mug.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, SDG said:

I haven’t eaten at PH since I was a kid and they had the reading program where you could earn personal pan pizzas for reading books. 

“Nan can run.  Nan can run fast.”  

I wonder if they still do that. (Early 80’s).  

Had something similar when I was a kid. Got some free pan pizza from them due to that. Do not want to try this new pan pizza recipe because the one they had was good. 

1 hour ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Name one chain food place that doesn’t suck balls now compared to back in the day. Well, except for Whataburger, and that’s coming.

Taco Bell.  Don’t at me but they haven’t changed shit and it’s glorious.  

10 hours ago, MrBig said:

This was announced a month ago, but I just recently got a pan pizza from there. And it sucked. More than usual. Has anyone tried it? 

If something has been working for 40 years, don’t change it. 

Pizza Hut Pan Recipe Change

*move to Food & Travel*

pan pizza from pizza hut used to have gloriously crispy, greasy crust.  something between the mid 90s and whenever i last had it (10+ years ago, i'd guess), changed it for the worst. 

i suspect it has something to do with the fact that the pizza is as cheap or cheaper than it was when i was in high school 25 years ago.  think about that. 

11 minutes ago, SDG said:

Taco Bell.  Don’t at me but they haven’t changed shit and it’s glorious.  

no chili cheese burrito and its brother, frito burrito.  no enchirito.  no meximelt.  sure, you can kinda hack them together using the near infinite customization on their app, but it ain't the same.  and no bell beefer.

Edited by elfenix

1 minute ago, elfenix said:

no chili cheese burrito and its brother, frito burrito.  no enchirito.  no meximelt.  sure, you can kinda hack them together using the near infinite customization on their app, but it ain't the same. 

I had a chili cheese burrito about two hours ago.  Maybe it’s regional.  

I miss the old pizza hut restaurants that were around when I was a kid.   Table top video games, hot pizza, and a cold pitcher of Pepsi.  Current pizza hut can kiss my ass.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/01/foolproof-pan-pizza-recipe.html
All of this with no mention of the plastic red cups?? Shame on you.

• Like 1

Pizza Hut still does the reading program.  Their pizza with the garlic butter crust  add on is pretty tasty.   We order it once a semester when the kids get their personal pan pizza freebie.  Also pickup is preferable to delivery imho.  I always get the pan pizza for me and if it has changed I have not noticed.  Last order was in May IIRC.

I'm not picky about pizza though.  

BTW, their hershey brownie dessert is a big hit.  chocolate, chocolate is always a winner though.

Edited by zork

3 minutes ago, zork said:

Pizza Hut still does the reading program.  Their pizza with the garlic butter crust  add on is pretty tasty.   We order it once a semester when the kids get their personal pan pizza freebie.  Also pickup is preferable to delivery imho.  I always get the pan pizza for me and if it has changed I have not noticed.  Last order was in May IIRC.

I'm not picky about pizza though.  

Thanks. I grew up extremely poor and that program was a huge motivation to read despite how much xx we talk about it now.  

11 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Pizza Hut died in the mid- to late-'90s with the discontinuation of the Bigfoot Pizza. 

Moved HQ out of Wichita during this time.....into Texas.

11 hours ago, Deej said:

Pizza Hut needs to bring back the Priazzo.

Priazzo was fucking great.

I worked for PH back in the mid 80's during high school.  It was the best pizza during that time easily.  Once the HQ left Wichita, it's been all downhill since.  Guess you'll find out if the same shit happens to WB

CSB my boss would order extra kegs at the restaurant for the weekend for me, my friends and I would have huge parties, collect between $250-500, then return the empty kegs back to the restaurant and pay the (no deposit required) $35 for them.

Chain pizza sucks but it’s cheap and they make it really easy to order. If you have a bunch of kids over it’s the way to go. When I want pizza for me I order the good stuff. It’s been interesting to watch the good pizza places basically outsource their delivery to Uber Eats etc. 

So Pizza Hut is like Patrick’s mom: cheap and easy and sucks. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, elfenix said:

pan pizza from pizza hut used to have gloriously crispy, greasy crust.  something between the mid 90s and whenever i last had it (10+ years ago, i'd guess), changed it for the worst. 

i suspect it has something to do with the fact that the pizza is as cheap or cheaper than it was when i was in high school 25 years ago.  think about that. 

They changed the cheese and sausage. Both have a 'whang' to the flavor now. It ain't good. We get pizza delivered several times a month at work from a variety of places ranging from Mom & Pop to chain. One guy always insists on PH when it's his turn because he likes the wings. The wings are okay, but their pizza is consistently shitty.

14 hours ago, HoustonHorn said:

So outside the city doesn't have local food, just garbage? Go to the dumpster and get some ingredients before eating at PH.

This is obviously difficult for you to comprehend, but some places literally have no local pizza joint. User name checks out.

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

Chain pizza sucks but it’s cheap and they make it really easy to order. If you have a bunch of kids over it’s the way to go. When I want pizza for me I order the good stuff. It’s been interesting to watch the good pizza places basically outsource their delivery to Uber Eats etc. 

So Pizza Hut is like Patrick’s mom: cheap and easy and sucks. 

Yep.   They are not into the quality control thing like most of us know it all adults on here.    They'll clear boxes in a blink of an eye  of Cici's or Little Caesars just because they are hungry and they don't give a rats ass.  

9 hours ago, elfenix said:

no chili cheese burrito and its brother, frito burrito.  no enchirito.  no meximelt.  sure, you can kinda hack them together using the near infinite customization on their app, but it ain't the same.  and no bell beefer.

Have you tried ordering in Spanish ?

When I was a wee primate my dad took us to a friend's party out in the country. He lived on a big farm. Had a huge compound including an in-ground pool and a monkey (early influence? perhaps). I was maybe 4 or 5, couldn't swim. I stepped into the pool and my mom had to jump in fully clothed to save me from drowning. But that's neither here nor there. On the menu? Chicken. I can't remember if it was fried. Probably fried. But out in the country they don't go pick up a couple of buckets from the Colonel. Nah, they hang the chickens upside down and slit their throats. In front of everybody, and my dad apparently did not think to shield us from this. This is the story of how my older sister became a vegetarian. 

Growing up in the 80s with an older sister who would not eat anything that had previously had a heartbeat was a bit of a pain. Every Saturday we would go on errands with my mom. Usually hit a store up like Kmart. Jo Ann Fabrics. Maybe the mall. And then we would eat. The only thing my sister ate? Cheese pizza. This is the story of how I ate at Pizza Hut almost literally every Saturday afternoon during my childhood. The table top Ms. Pac Man. The Mountain Dew. The Book It. The Priazzo. Karen the MILF waitress. The checkered table cloths. I remember all of it. 

Many years later, I am somewhat of a pizza addict. And/or snob. We had a good pizza thread on the old board. I blame my sister for my addiction. Or should I blame my Dad? Anyway, occasionally I will still get a hankerin for some pizza from the Hut. Never a pan though. That was always my sister's go to. I liked the thin and crispy and later the hand tossed. But the best thing at Pizza Hut is their breadsticks with cheese. 

By the way, this is an interesting article about the company that sells their cheese concoctions to PH, LC, Dominos, PJ, etc. https://www.forbes.com/sites/chloesorvino/2017/05/23/james-leprino-exclusive-mozzarella-billionaire-cheese-pizza-hut-dominos-papa-johns/#473f5fcc4958

Oh and this thread is in the wrong forum. 

21 hours ago, Loco said:

I miss the old pizza hut restaurants that were around when I was a kid.   Table top video games, hot pizza, and a cold pitcher of Pepsi.  Current pizza hut can kiss my ass.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/01/foolproof-pan-pizza-recipe.html

We used to hit up the red roofed Pizza Hut when I was a kid.  They lost their way.

25 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Sometime in the past 5-7 years when it was the food provided at work.

So 5-7 years ago, you ate some pizza that you didn't order that had probably been sitting out for a while.  

Yep, you sound like the perfect person to evaluate this. 

• Like 1

Why I order PH for work - 

1. Easy to use online app

2. They always have good deals on large orders

3. They almost always know the gates / entrances at the local chem plant - refineries

4. They always throw in plates / napkins / cheese / peppers, as requested 

So 5-7 years ago, you ate some pizza that you didn't order that had probably been sitting out for a while.  

Yep, you sound like the perfect person to evaluate this. 

No, I didn’t order. No it hadn’t been sitting around. I’m fine with you thinking my opinion that Pizza Hut sucks is an invalid opinion. I’m not the only one.

Pizza Hut was something I looked forward to when I was a kid. There was one we'd stop at on the way to my Grandpa's lake house that must have put crack in their thin crust pepperoni. Book It was also awesome.

I've only had it a handful of times in the past twenty years and somewhere along the line my taste changed, they got shittier, or both.

Speaking of grown adults who refuse to stray away from chains, a guy I used to work with said Pizza Hut was the best pizza he's ever had and he refused to go to any local joints with us.

Never or rarely had pizza hut as a kid because it was the high end joint around us.  We stuck to little ceasars because I guess it was a few bucks cheaper and my parents were cheap.  Eventually my dad got to making his own.   Later on I would go to their lunch Buffett because a friend of mine had a book of buy one get one free coupons. 

But now I can't stand chain pizza.  I'd rather eat two slices of quality pizza than four slices of shit.  Honestly there are some very good brands of frozen pizza that are better and cheaper than any chain pizza.  That's my go-to when I'm craving pizza quickly and cheaply. 

22 hours ago, Loco said:

dude, back in '78 they didn't even have adult gen Xer's never-mind millennial hipsters.  Pizza Hut WAS the pizza place unless you went to a mom and pop mama Geseppi's type place with checkered table clothes and cheap ass wicker Chianti bottles on the table.  Believe it or not The Pizza Hut Supreme was usually better, at least in my old home town(not podunk small) that didn't have a large or diverse population.

Anybody remember pizza kits in a box from Chef Boyardee?   We used to pack those when we went to the islands for the summer...  after a month in Jamacia in the 70's you'd knife a fool for a halfway decent pizza.

Nice humblebrag. 

There were advantages to being lower middle class just outside southwest  Chicago.  Even our cheap pizza and Mexican and Italian and burgers were still light years ahead of most of the country.  Our Cheap BBQ still haunts me.  The sausage I ate still thirty years ago still prevents me from shitting comfortably.  

4 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

Last time I ate in PH was the day Michael Jackson died.

So you're the one who killed Farrah.  

4 hours ago, Lobo said:

I wonder how many Pizza Hut fans (who are no longer children) look down on the people who frequent Olive Garden.  

The fuck is wrong with Olive Garden?