Pizza Hut - Pan Recipe Change (40 years in the making)

MrBig

4 hours ago, Lobo said:

There were advantages to being lower middle class just outside southwest  Chicago.  Even our cheap pizza and Mexican and Italian and burgers were still light years ahead of most of the country.  Our Cheap BBQ still haunts me.  The sausage I ate still thirty years ago still prevents me from shitting comfortably.  

Well,  Chicago now has Whataburger and with that,  the city can sink into Lake Michigan and the Cubs suck!

There were advantages to being lower middle class just outside southwest  Chicago.  Even our cheap pizza and Mexican and Italian and burgers were still light years ahead of most of the country.  Our Cheap BBQ still haunts me.  The sausage I ate still thirty years ago still prevents me from shitting comfortably.  

eb1f1263a54bb9c7af95493d29fdad86.jpg

6df4664925a14c9390cf50064e981c14.jpg

Chi-town stand up!(but don’t ruin Whataburger)

Guest Lobo

I don't know what that second photo is, but yes--I admitted that growing up with out much "dining-out" cash, even the crappy versions of stuff like italian and mexican was damn good.  Then I get to Austin and people bemoan the loss of a Fuddrucker's and Las Manitas as if the culinary world lost a Michelin Starr.  

I longed for the days of personal pan pizzas at School from Pizza Hut as much as anybody.  But it is shit pizza.  That adults, with all the wonderful options in Austin, still order that shit is beyond me.  don't get me wrong, you got a street full of kids and want to get a stack of Dominos or whatever, god bless.  But a grown adult with a payroll position goes glides past Pinthouse Pizza to get a few blocks north to get a fucking Papa Johns.  How is that possible?  

I don't know what that second photo is, but yes--I admitted that growing up with out much "dining-out" cash, even the crappy versions of stuff like italian and mexican was damn good.  Then I get to Austin and people bemoan the loss of a Fuddrucker's and Las Manitas as if the culinary world lost a Michelin Starr.  
I longed for the days of personal pan pizzas at School from Pizza Hut as much as anybody.  But it is shit pizza.  That adults, with all the wonderful options in Austin, still order that shit is beyond me.  don't get me wrong, you got a street full of kids and want to get a stack of Dominos or whatever, god bless.  But a grown adult with a payroll position goes glides past Pinthouse Pizza to get a few blocks north to get a fucking Papa Johns.  How is that possible?  

2nd pic are rib tips. Mostly a city thing. Not really In the burbs.

9 hours ago, elfenix said:

yo quiero bell beefer

Ate at Taco Casa in kerrville last night.  First time ever for this chain.  Low expectations but the $2 chili burger is the closest thing on this planet to the now extinct bell Beefer.

Slammed and went hard.

Guest Lobo
11 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

What does the women I date have to do with shit ass low quality chain pizza? 

I dunno, you're the one who paid extra for her doughy ass to be filled with hot cheese...

I worked at a Pizza Hut in HS. The way they made the pan pizza then was there was a large pump bottle full of oil, and you pump however many pumps based on the size into the pan, then put the dough on top. It's basically deep fried.

Me too. That’s why I never eat there...seen too much of what that ingredient trough looks like during a busy Saturday night, or how gross the line can get. I’m sure it’s the same everywhere, but the one i worked at is forever ingrained in my mind.

I’m pretty sure the first restaurant pizza I ever had was Pizza Hut in El Campo, TX, probably around 1972 or so.  The little town I grew up in didn’t have any restaurant, let alone pizza.  Plus with five kids and a schoolteacher salary it was probably the only thing my old man could afford.  We did eat a lot of homemade chef boyardee pizzas though.  

• Like 1

First restaurant pizza I had as a kid was most likely Pizza Inn, there was one on Burnet just a couple blocks from our house.  We did our fair share of Pizza Hut but usually when traveling and stopping in smaller towns.

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m pretty sure the first restaurant pizza I ever had was Pizza Hut in El Campo, TX, probably around 1972 or so.  The little town I grew up in didn’t have any restaurant, let alone pizza.  Plus with five kids and a schoolteacher salary it was probably the only thing my old man could afford.  We did eat a lot of homemade chef boyardee pizzas though.  

Damn, I loved those Chef Boyardee pizzas. Forgot all about those.

1 hour ago, BillyBadAss said:

I worked at a Pizza Hut in HS. The way they made the pan pizza then was there was a large pump bottle full of oil, and you pump however many pumps based on the size into the pan, then put the dough on top. It's basically deep fried.

Nobody makes pan pizza without greasing the pan. I don't know what you used, but it probably was less buttery tasting than what they used to use. 

Pizza Hut pan pizza went to shit decades ago. It's hard to pinpoint exactly when because it's the result of a slow accumulation of cutting corners, sacrificing a bit of quality here and there for the sake of reducing costs and boosting profits.

I'd say the process started back in the 80's when they got rid of their standard ovens and replaced them with conveyor belt ovens. The crusts weren't quite as crunchy but you got your pizza faster. Over time they've made other changes so that the pan pizza of today barely resembles the pan pizza from their peak years. 

Like they say, pizza is a lot like sex. When it's good it's great but when it's not so good you're still not going to pass it up. It's been a few years but once in a blue moon I'll still go to Pizza Hut for their lunch buffet. I'm always disappointed by how far the quality has fallen, and the variety of pizzas they put out is pitifully limited. But I'll say this for them -- their thousand island dressing is still as good as ever.

That's the only place I eat thousand island dressing on a salad. I've probably had it fewer than ten times in the last twenty years but it's remained consistent. It was on my mind the other day and I almost stopped in for lunch at the Hut near the Barnes & Noble where I picked up the latest Phil Steele's. I'll be stopping in for lunch sometime in the not too distant future. 

I'm lucky, though. I've got no shortage of individually owned pizza joints to choose from and I'm never forced to resort to the national chains. I have two good mom and pop shops that I can walk to and also a couple of bars that make a good pie. I still prefer to drive a few miles for the best pizza in town. But I could probably eat a different pizza every day for a month without ever eating at a chain with more than three stores. I probably wouldn't have to drive as much as ten miles in any direction to do it. 

10 minutes ago, Okie State said:

Damn, I loved those Chef Boyardee pizzas. Forgot all about those.

Appian Way was better. 

Btw, does anyone else think that Romeo's Pizza tastes a lot like the old Chef Boyardee boxed pizza mixes?

Edited by WhatTheBuck

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

I would bet money that if they went back to the old school dine in model with the video games, frosty beer mugs, fireplace, salad bar, and old menu, it'd make a killing just on the nostalgia of 40-50 somethings. 

Play vintage MTV on a single large-screen TV in the pizza den.

2 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

El Campo has themselves a Mr. Gattis now. I used to make the drive there from Palacios all the time. Sadly we considered that good food.

Edited by SimonBolivar

4 hours ago, CoTex said:

Ate at Taco Casa in kerrville last night.  First time ever for this chain.  Low expectations but the $2 chili burger is the closest thing on this planet to the now extinct bell Beefer.

Slammed and went hard.

i've  heard of that place before.  iirc the story goes the founders were taco bell franchisees that wanted to get back to the basics, or some such. 

one way out in cypress somewhere.  kinda far for an enchirito facsimile. i do have to go out to katy to make sure my sister's cat is still alive tuesday or wednesday, so, maybe. 

Edited by elfenix

17 minutes ago, elfenix said:

i've  heard of that place before.  iirc the story goes the founders were taco bell franchisees that wanted to get back to the basics, or some such. 

one way out in cypress somewhere.  kinda far for an enchirito facsimile. i do have to go out to katy to make sure my sister's cat is still alive tuesday or wednesday, so, maybe. 

This sister of yours ... tell us more.

5 hours ago, BillyBadAss said:

This is why we can’t have nice things !!!!!!

They changed the cheese and sausage. Both have a 'whang' to the flavor now. It ain't good. We get pizza delivered several times a month at work from a variety of places ranging from Mom & Pop to chain. One guy always insists on PH when it's his turn because he likes the wings. The wings are okay, but their pizza is consistently shitty.

919e4dfd6d286b484ee2f71d61ceaa7c.jpg

And yeah the pitchers of soda, video games, sticky laminate tables (and carpet) comments definitely bring back the memories. That was a go to move for birthday parties, sleepovers, and post kid sports celebrations.

9 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

El Campo has themselves a Mr. Gattis now. I used to make the drive there from Palacios all the time. Sadly we considered that good food.

I was in Palacios 2 weeks ago.  Bought bait at Grassy Point before  heading to Oyster Lake.  There are actually a couple decent restaurants there from what I hear.

Get over yourselves, Surly elitists. Has the quality gone downhill? Almost certainly. But it is nostalgia. When we were kids our parents ate at nicer Italian restaurants when it was them and places like Pizza Hut when they were taking the kids and their friends. As previously mentioned, there’s no replacing the memories of playing pinball or Ms. Pacman while waiting for your pizzas to come out, sneaking crackers from the salad bar as an appetizer, drinking Dr Pepper from the clear pitchers into your transparent red cups, celebrating the end of little league or soccer season with your friends. 

People here really don’t understand why others eat at chains? Why would someone eat at Dickey’s with a family of 4-5 instead of Franklin? The difference of about fifty fucking dollars, that’s why. Two pizzas at Home Slice? $50...or two at Dominos or Pizza Hut with a coupon is like $12 and they throw in some cinnamon sticks. Hop Doddy burgers and fries for four, $50...or Whataburger for $25. Not everyone is Shaggy 1%.

I appreciate them for what they did during the formative years of Generation Xers, providing that neighborhood gathering spot, programs like BookIt! that had a positive impact on reading in elementary school kids. Seeing that commercial for $10.99 Bigfoot pizza in 1992...is pizza the only industry without price inflation? Maybe that’s why they all taste crappier now than we remember, along with the nostalgia effect. 

Also, definitely had that Final Four ball from around 1991, I remember two of the teams on it were Duke and Arkie when Grant Hill and Corliss Williamson were playing. 

13 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Yeah who the fuck still eats Pizza Hut? That shit is fucking disgusting. 

Hey now buddy, look at what/who you eat before casting stones. 

• Like 3

On 6/29/2019 at 3:19 PM, Loco said:

Oh, I don't eat that shit now, basically ever.  That's why I linked a recipe to make your own kickass pan pizza at home.

That said, If I could get my hands on a pan, wholewheat, pepperoni, xtra cheese Rocky Rocco's pizza I would. 

Plenty still in Wisconsin..... 

We eat at the PH in Llano when we are at the in-laws. If the kids want pizza, it's either that or the Hunt Bros at the gas station. The Pizza Hut in Llano is pretty old school, but sadly no longer has the sit down video games. I talked a little with the manager one day about that, and she said she gets comments about the old school video games weekly, and wishes she could put one in the store. 

Pizza hut was never great but it was never terrible either. Haven't had it in a while so don't know about the menu change, but one thing it always was was consistent. 

You know what isn't consistent? The new mom and pop joint down the road charging 29 bucks for a large and it fucking sucks and they will be out of business in 18 months.

Yelp makes it easier I guess but if I'm on the road with the kids and they want pizza sometimes I don't have time to deal with all that shit. We know what Pizza hut tastes like and its fine. Sometimes that's enough. 

Even where I live now, the local joints really aren't all that great. There is basically one place I would say is appreciably better than a chain and they are 30 minutes away and only open during the summer.  And I'm within a  30 minute radius of 750k people. No, not Houston, but not a single stop light town, either.  There is a lot of pizza wasteland in this country. 

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I can’t wait until the Subway nostalgia starts.

My two favorite places near me in NW Houston are less than $18 for a large 3 topping pizza. Delivered.

Which place is that ?

i love Luna Pizzeria but it’s in town. Half price on Monday’s ! 

Edited by tx 3 putt

Pizza Hut used to be fuckin amazing. The nearest "local" pizza shop was in Seagoville and my folks sure as hell aren't going to drive 45 minutes for some pizza. Our Pizza Hut had a salad bar too. I'd get a big bowl of lettuce, cherry tomatoes, dill pickles, and drown it in their watered down version of ranch dressing. They also had a buffet section for 3 pizzas and it was always cheese, pepperoni, and a dessert pie. Then afterwards we'd play in the arcade and when you got a top 10 score you had to pick your name as either ASS or DAM

• Like 1

16 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Nobody makes pan pizza without greasing the pan. I don't know what you used, but it probably was less buttery tasting than what they used to use. 

To be clear, it wasn't just greasing the pan, it was pumping enough oil to cover the entire pan about 1/8" deep. Maybe that's not uncommon for pan pizza, I don't know. But it stuck with me that a PH Pan Pizza has a shit ton of oil in it.

You heathens disgust me.

There are reasons to eat at the Hut occasionally (kids/case of the poors/living in Russia), but anyone talking about it being good. No. Its not good. It wasn't good. Most of the stories above talk about the video games. That's because 80's video games were better than PH pizza. Now it sucks more. Stop wasting money on crappy pizza, buy a tabletop Centipede game, and enjoy nostalgia all you want. Then order some decent pizza. Live it up Mfers.

• Like 1

You heathens disgust me.
There are reasons to eat at the Hut occasionally (kids/case of the poors/living in Russia), but anyone talking about it being good. No. Its not good. It wasn't good. Most of the stories above talk about the video games. That's because 80's video games were better than PH pizza. Now it sucks more. Stop wasting money on crappy pizza, buy a tabletop Centipede game, and enjoy nostalgia all you want. Then order some decent pizza. Live it up Mfers.

Bet you like Hawaiian pizza with extra pineapple and bbq sauce.