Pizza Hut - Pan Recipe Change (40 years in the making)

MrBig

On 6/29/2019 at 1:27 PM, Loco said:

I miss the old pizza hut restaurants that were around when I was a kid.   Table top video games, hot pizza, and a cold pitcher of Pepsi.  Current pizza hut can kiss my ass.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/01/foolproof-pan-pizza-recipe.html

The one in Georgetown sold pitchers of beer.

5 hours ago, HoustonHorn said:

Except for Mr. Gattis, Pepperoni and Hamburger with an extra side of ranch. If you go cheap, at least go local.

Talking down PH but invoking gattis in the next post. Jesus. Gattis is absolute dog shit. Even my 12 year old ass knew that. As I was killing the fuck out of the buffet. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Pizza hut was never great but it was never terrible either. Haven't had it in a while so don't know about the menu change, but one thing it always was was consistent. 
You know what isn't consistent? The new mom and pop joint down the road charging 29 bucks for a large and it fucking sucks and they will be out of business in 18 months.
Yelp makes it easier I guess but if I'm on the road with the kids and they want pizza sometimes I don't have time to deal with all that shit. We know what Pizza hut tastes like and its fine. Sometimes that's enough. 
Even where I live now, the local joints really aren't all that great. There is basically one place I would say is appreciably better than a chain and they are 30 minutes away and only open during the summer.  And I'm within a  30 minute radius of 750k people. No, not Houston, but not a single stop light town, either.  There is a lot of pizza wasteland in this country. 

“Fuck you and fuck Pizza Hut. They raped my dad and killed my mom. You should hate them too. ” ~swayze

33 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Here you go heathens.  A Pizza Hut training video from 1988, so we can see how pan pizzas (ya'll who slaved away already know this) were made:

This video does not include instruction to add 1/8" layer of oil to the bottom of the pre-made pre-proofed dough, so I'm not sure what to make of it?  I did see them spray some non-stick for the thin n crispy though...

1 hour ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

He’s just mad that Pizza Hut outsells his brand.

IMG_20160628_132515544.jpg

Back in the early 90s when I was in undergrad, I used to love the Tombstone "Special Order" pizzas.  They had a different sauce that was way better than the sauce on theirs or any other frozen pizza. I first had it in maybe 91, 92, and then they discontinued it by 96 or 97.  I actually called their customer service to lodge a sternly worded complaint, but it did not bring back the Special Order.  RIP, my cheap friend.

On 6/30/2019 at 1:15 PM, SDG said:

Thanks. I grew up extremely poor and that program was a huge motivation to read despite how much xx we talk about it now.  

No kidding. That program motivated the hell out of me.

Talking down PH but invoking gattis in the next post. Jesus. Gattis is absolute dog shit. Even my 12 year old ass knew that. As I was killing the fuck out of the buffet. 

Hold up. I know I am not exactly the most sober right now, but gatti’s at 38th circa 2002-2005 was fucking glorious. A couple of Brazilians from Limeira and Americana were running the show. $5 large pepperoni was absolutely awesome.

I tried the buffet at the Y around 2013 and it was ass. As in cici’s quality ass. But for that brief moment in the early parts of the new millennium at 38th, the pizza God’s smiled upon Gatti’s. Fight me.
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Hold up. I know I am not exactly the most sober right now, but gatti’s at 38th circa 2002-2005 was fucking glorious. A couple of Brazilians from Limeira and Americana were running the show. $5 large pepperoni was absolutely awesome.

I tried the buffet at the Y around 2013 and it was ass. As in cici’s quality ass. But for that brief moment in the early parts of the new millennium at 38th, the pizza God’s smiled upon Gatti’s. Fight me.

I grew up a few blocks from that one, but don't ever remember eating there or any hot broads. I recall the one on MLK with the big screens and the one on Balcones too though. God that pizza was shit. 

How many of you had these in your freezer during your college days?

I think between high school and college I might have downed closer to 500 of those fuckers.

I grew up a few blocks from that one, but don't ever remember eating there or any hot broads. I recall the one on MLK with the big screens and the one on Balcones too though. God that pizza was shit. 

Anyone who went to UT in the 80s or 90s are their weight I Pizza at the buffet on MLK. If you didn’t, you did college wrong. What I am talking about with the 38th st location was a short window of time when a couple of Brazilians ran the show. I owned a recording studio in town and was on a budget. My younger brother and I would hit that place up regularly. Walk in to pick up the pizza to avoid the delivery charge and talk about Brazilian heritage with the guys there. The pizza was fucking good. I can’t speak to the years prior or after though. But for $5 a large one topping there during those years was pretty damn good. Better than any Pizza Hut I have ever had, that’s for damn sure.
  • Like 2

Anyone who went to UT in the 80s or 90s are their weight I Pizza at the buffet on MLK. If you didn’t, you did college wrong. What I am talking about with the 38th st location was a short window of time when a couple of Brazilians ran the show. I owned a recording studio in town and was on a budget. My younger brother and I would hit that place up regularly. Walk in to pick up the pizza to avoid the delivery charge and talk about Brazilian heritage with the guys there. The pizza was fucking good. I can’t speak to the years prior or after though. But for $5 a large one topping there during those years was pretty damn good. Better than any Pizza Hut I have ever had, that’s for damn sure.

0df8f9ad7ce772f29779d7bb59533372.gif

14 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

My younger brother and I would hit that place up regularly. Walk in to pick up the pizza to avoid the delivery charge and talk about Brazilian heritage with the guys there.

Oh wait. It wasn't Brazilian cooz. You like Gatti's because some Brazilian guys chatted you up there.

My bad.  NTTIAWWT.

Oh wait. It wasn't Brazilian cooz. You like Gatti's because some Brazilian guys chatted you up there.

My bad.  NTTIAWWT.

Hahahahaha. Man, I wish that it was a chick. Alas, I can’t tell a lie. But their pizza was solid. Again, I can’t account for the years prior or after the window of 2002-2005.

For my sexploits, feel free to view the various photos I have posted over the years of ex’s of yesteryear.
  • Haha 1

Was about to drive through Clarendon when I was looking on Google maps to find a place to get food. 

Settle on Pizza Hut. Then noticed a local family joint called Grumpy's Pizza. Got that instead and it was awesome. Some of the best pizza crust ever. 

Moral of the story... When you're thinking Pizza Hut go somewhere better instead. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Gatti's was infinitely better than Pizza Hut. 

Yes, yes it was.  And still is.

We have middle school kids and a large house with a pool, we entertain a large portion of the neighborhood kids quite often.  And although Saccone's and Yaghi's both deliver to my house, and Reale's is quite easy to pick up as well, you better believe I'm not spending that kind of money on real pizza.  Chain pizza is the answer, and Mr. Gatti's is way better than all of the alternatives.  Same as it was 30 years ago when I was that neighborhood kid at my best friend's house with a pool and his parents were buying Mr. Gatti's pizza for all of us.

Yes, yes it was.  And still is.
We have middle school kids and a large house with a pool, we entertain a large portion of the neighborhood kids quite often.  And although Saccone's and Yaghi's both deliver to my house, and Reale's is quite easy to pick up as well, you better believe I'm not spending that kind of money on real pizza.  Chain pizza is the answer, and Mr. Gatti's is way better than all of the alternatives.  Same as it was 30 years ago when I was that neighborhood kid at my best friend's house with a pool and his parents were buying Mr. Gatti's pizza for all of us.

Word. And Gatti’s on 1960 in Houston was one of our spots growing up. Cocktail table video games, plastic glasses with crushed ice and root beer. Then in high school we would do the old one guy buys the buffet and the rest of us eat of his plate. They shut that down after awhile.

Some of the comments in this thread might explain why I’ve gotten the squirts the last few times I’ve gotten Pizza Hut.

Does the amount you squirt equal the number of squirts of oil that goes into the pan?

I'm not going to argue that Mr. Gattis is some super high level, high quality stuff but its 10x the pizza that PH is. The one on Far West was really good, had a nice arcade and we held a lot of post sports parties there. Absolutely the best ranch for pizza. I still get it a couple times a year when I'm in Austin.

Correct me if this is wrong.  But wasn't Gattis ahead of Pizza Hut with the pan pizza concept?  Seems to me sometime in the early 80's when we first got a Gattis near my hometown and thought it was out of this world compared to the thin stuff Pizza Hut served up.  Or was it maybe my household chose to always get thin from Pizza Hut and just didn't pay attention or know that Pan was offered.   

On 6/29/2019 at 1:09 PM, Walden Ponderer said:

The end result is that if you want a good pan pizza from a cheap and fast source, you have to get the deep dish from Little Caesar's. The only other one that comes close is Domino's, but you have to get a helluva lot of extra cheese to make it work.

Incorrect. Jet's Pizza is pan-style and absolutely the best of the chains. Not as common as Domino's, Caesar's, etc, but there are def locations in Texas.

13 minutes ago, 406W30th said:

Incorrect. Jet's Pizza is pan-style and absolutely the best of the chains. Not as common as Domino's, Caesar's, etc, but there are def locations in Texas.

Never heard of it, but it has been logged away.

Plenty of them in the Research Triangle in North Carolina, looks like, so I may have a new favorite chain once I move.

I do have to say, I'm always amused any time there's a pizza thread out there, by how many people refer to this brand or that as "garbage". Dudes... pizza is good, period. Bad pizza is better than good sushi.

Edited by Walden Ponderer
Edited for effect.
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, utee94 said:

From what I can tell, there's only one location of Jet's Pizza in Austin, down on Brodie.  That's not anywhere in the discussion of national chains, or even local chains.  It's one location in Austin.  

there's 300+ jet's locations in 20 different states.

Edited by elfenix

5 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Never heard of it, but it has been logged away.

Plenty of them in the Research Triangle in North Carolina, looks like, so I may have a new favorite chain once I move.

I do have to say, I'm always amused any time there's a pizza thread out there, by how many people refer to this brand or that as "garbage". Dudes... pizza is good, period. Bad pizza is better than good sushi.