Pizza Hut - Pan Recipe Change (40 years in the making)

MrBig

9 minutes ago, elfenix said:

there's 300+ jet's locations in 20 different states.

But only one in Austin, and zero in Houston, and zero in Dallas.

So from the perspective of a message board centered on the University of Texas, where the large majority of message board posters are from Austin, Dallas, and Houston, it's a pretty irrelevant entry into the discussion of chain pizza restaurants.

I mean if we're going to talk about pan pizza at chains with two or fewer locations in Austin, Dallas, and Houston combined, then I'll throw out Conan's as being by far the leader in this area.

Edited by utee94

2 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I mean if we're going to talk about pan pizza at chains with two or fewer locations in Austin, Dallas, and Houston combined, then I'll throw out Conan's as being by far the leader in this area.

there's 10 in texas, including 6 in the north texas area (most on the tarrant county side).   i could conceivably drive to pearland or tomball from central houston to get a pizza.  i'm not driving to austin for conan's. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, elfenix said:

there's 10 in texas, including 6 in the north texas area (most on the tarrant county side).   i could conceivably drive to pearland or tomball from central houston to get a pizza.  i'm not driving to austin for conan's. 

If you want to drive to Tomball for chain pizza, knock yourself out. :)

(and yes this whole tangent is silly, but that's what we do around here)

Tell ya what, since you apparently own stock in Jet's, if I ever find myself near a Jet's and I coincidentally have an insatiable urge to try some chain pan pizza, I'll give it a shot. ;)

14 hours ago, HoustonHorn said:

I'm not going to argue that Mr. Gattis is some super high level, high quality stuff but its 10x the pizza that PH is. The one on Far West was really good, had a nice arcade and we held a lot of post sports parties there. Absolutely the best ranch for pizza. I still get it a couple times a year when I'm in Austin.

Hold up...you’re touting yourself as some sort of pizza connoisseur who looks down his nose at chains, yet you eat ranch on the stuff? That’s revolting.

Edited by formermav43
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Correct me if this is wrong.  But wasn't Gattis ahead of Pizza Hut with the pan pizza concept?  Seems to me sometime in the early 80's when we first got a Gattis near my hometown and thought it was out of this world compared to the thin stuff Pizza Hut served up.  Or was it maybe my household chose to always get thin from Pizza Hut and just didn't pay attention or know that Pan was offered.   

Pretty sure Pizza Hut started doing pan back in the 60s.

8 hours ago, formermav43 said:

Hold up...you’re touting yourself as some sort of pizza connoisseur who looks down his nose at chains, yet you eat ranch on the stuff? That’s revolting. 

I'm not sure saying Pizza Hut is fucking hot garbage is holding myself out to be a pizza connoisseur. And I'll stand behind my Mr. Gattis ranch.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
25 minutes ago, futureman said:

anyone tried this?  I fucking love cheez-its and pizza hut is more or less edible. 

Pizza-Hut-Introduces-New-Stuffed-Cheez-I

tmg-article_default_mobile;jpeg_quality=

Guilty.  Ordered them yesterday.  They are rich, buttery, and have that cheez-it flavor.  I got them with pepperoni.  Highly recommend.  

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

I am somewhat ashamed that I tried it... But the big NY pizza is fucking good. Not just pizza hut good. Actually good. I added extra pepperoni to mine and they put the regular ones on there as well as the spicy ones that curl up and it was legit. I have lots of good to great pizza options around me, non chain even, and honestly I will probably order it again. If yours turns out shitty that's because the cook at your pizza hut is probably a meth head and the meth head at mine was off the day I ordered. Don't blame me. 

It's definitely a different cheese blend and the sauce is different from the regular sauce, as well. 

• Hook 'Em 4

22 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I didn’t even know Pizza Hut was still around.

I don't see many (if any) red roof sit downs anymore. I think they are all delivery/carryout joints in strip malls now. 

Ahh, the nostalgia of the checkered tablecloths, the red plastic smoky cups with Mountain Dew, the tabletop Ms. Pac Man.

Edited by Baboontyme
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

If I want a fancy pizza it’s $40+ for two of us. The mom and pops near me generally suck with thick crust pies. The best pizza in DFW is Corky’s which is awesome New Haven style wood oven pizza but it’s a bit of a drive.

So we generally eat Pizza Hut. The key is to get the thin crust, extra cheese. I get pepperoni, pork sausage not Italian, red onion, bell pepper, and green olive. If wife ain’t here it’s jalapeños for olives. It’s practically the same pizza I grew up with in the 60’s. And I can get a large with a deal for about $16. If I order on the app I get to the store a minute before it’s done; they bring to me and I drive home.

On 7/1/2019 at 9:43 PM, Francisco 2.0 said:

Here you go heathens.  A Pizza Hut training video from 1988, so we can see how pan pizzas (ya'll who slaved away already know this) were made:

On 7/1/2019 at 10:18 PM, utee94 said:

This video does not include instruction to add 1/8" layer of oil to the bottom of the pre-made pre-proofed dough, so I'm not sure what to make of it?  I did see them spray some non-stick for the thin n crispy though...

The dough wasn't pre-proofed before adding the oil. I worked at PH back in 00-01 during my freshman year of college. All of the pizza dough was pre-made and shipped to us frozen formed in a disc shape. Handtossed would get put on a regular tray with a shot of nonstick and proofed overnight. Pan pizza used the same dough, we'd just add oil in the bottom of the pan and throw the frozen disc in, then let it proof overnight. Pan prep was always the Charlie work because that shit would splash everywhere. No one wanted to work Thursday nights because some poor bastard would wind up having to prep a hundred or so personal pans for a school order or daycare, etc. 

1 hour ago, Baboontyme said:

I am somewhat ashamed that I tried it... But the big NY pizza is fucking good. Not just pizza hut good. Actually good. I added extra pepperoni to mine and they put the regular ones on there as well as the spicy ones that curl up and it was legit. I have lots of good to great pizza options around me, non chain even, and honestly I will probably order it again. If yours turns out shitty that's because the cook at your pizza hut is probably a meth head and the meth head at mine was off the day I ordered. Don't blame me. 

It's definitely a different cheese blend and the sauce is different from the regular sauce, as well. 

Unless it's changed, the only unique thing about the big new yorker was the sauce. It was sweeter IIRC. The cheese was the same and the dough was just a large handtossed dough stretched thinner out to 16". We didn't have the fancy pepperoni back in the day though. I have to say, I hated pizza for a long time from doing stints at Pizza Hut and Dominos back in college but I would smash a big new yorker for sure. The pro move was to give it another half a trip in the pizza oven to get it crispier. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I didn’t even know Pizza Hut was still around.

Yeah, it is in our hood.  A month ago the kids wanted it for dinner (I was too tired to argue) so off we went to get takeout.  I saw they had something called a Melt now.  It's essentially a pizza quesadilla.  I got one of these for myself:

63583539df4492001944fe51?width=1000&form

It was shit.

I recently had to try a case in a small Texas town.  You know the type -- big enough to have maybe 20 places to eat, but 15 of them are national chains.  One night, I ordered a large thin crust from Pizza Hut, picked it up, and ate dinner in my room as I prepped for the next day.  Sausage pepperoni mushroom, crispy thin crust.  It was actually pretty damn good.  A coupla leftover pieces eaten cold for breakfast the next day were solid as well.  It had been a long time since I'd had PH, but it reminded me that their thin crust is actually a pretty decent pizza.

• Hook 'Em 1

The thin crust is decent, no doubt. Pan is shit. Hand tossed is shit. Those P'zone melt things are shit. The NYer is better than decent. @Hmbre97 I remember it well from my college days. That was what made me want to try it. However, I do think it's a different cheese blend. Maybe it's just the oregano seasoning or that it automatically comes with "extra" cheese but that doesn't taste like PH cheese to me. Try it out and see what you think. 

2 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

I don't see many (if any) red roof sit downs anymore. I think they are all delivery/carryout joints in strip malls now. 

Ahh, the nostalgia of the checkered tablecloths, the red plastic smoky cups with Mountain Dew, the tabletop Ms. Pac Man.

my carry out Pizza Hut does a good job. Great employees there. They’ll walk out and tell you ‘5 more mins’

The PH app will send me a deal and it’s on. It’s always hot and fresh food 

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

I recently had to try a case in a small Texas town.  You know the type -- big enough to have maybe 20 places to eat, but 15 of them are national chains.  One night, I ordered a large thin crust from Pizza Hut, picked it up, and ate dinner in my room as I prepped for the next day.  Sausage pepperoni mushroom, crispy thin crust.  It was actually pretty damn good.  A coupla leftover pieces eaten cold for breakfast the next day were solid as well.  It had been a long time since I'd had PH, but it reminded me that their thin crust is actually a pretty decent pizza.

My hometown has like 20 places to eat and like 12 of them are Mexican restaurants. Also has like 20 churches

And I can get a large with a deal for about $16.

I remember ordering a large pizza from PH in the late 80s and my grandma commenting that it was expensive at $16.

It’s crazy how chain pizza hasn’t been affected by inflation or it’s just gotten so much worse ingredient wise that a $16 pizza is actually $4 in 1988 dollars.
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

I remember ordering a large pizza from PH in the late 80s and my grandma commenting that it was expensive at $16.

It’s crazy how chain pizza hasn’t been affected by inflation or it’s just gotten so much worse ingredient wise that a $16 pizza is actually $4 in 1988 dollars.

seems like there's been a lot of shrinkflation involved with that.  a large pizza from any national chain is a medium nowadays. maybe baboon knows different and they've always been that size. 

also, that $16 was probably delivered, it's $16+ tax right now at my local hut ($16 large any speciality, choose supreme, sub some toppings, so long you end up with the same number of toppings the price doesn't seem to change) but that's carryout.

Edited by elfenix

6 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

$7 carry out, app deal when it hits 

41 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Same with hair cuts.  I live in the Bay Area so it’s not exactly cheap here.  Go to a regular guy barber shop and pay $12 for a haircut, $10 if you have a coupon.  Pretty sure I paid those prices 30 some years ago. 

3 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

I loved the thousand island dressing on their salad bar.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

My hometown has like 20 places to eat and like 12 of them are Mexican restaurants. Also has like 20 churches

That has been a change largely of the last 10-15 years.  I find it kinda funny that many of the people who are most stridently anti-immigrant are people who live in PossumPecker, Texas....who are thrilled shitless to eat at Taqueria Morelos or whatnot every Friday night.  Even the shittiest, redneck-est towns in Texas now all seem to have at least a couple of real-deal taqueria type joints, which wasn't the case 10 years ago.  If I had to spend time in such a town (which, because of my work, happens with some frequency), my choices were MAYBE an old cafe that had seen better days, a Subway in the QuickMart, or MAYBE a McDonalds or somesuch if the highway through town was big enough.  Now, those same choices are there, along with a few taquerias.

That was actually my move for lunch one day during my last trial.  Not far from the courthouse was a mexican grocery with a taqueria inside.  I went in, was the only guy who wasn't wearing workboots, got three tacos for $12, and had a great quick lunch.

5 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

Had the big NYer a couple weeks ago for the first pizza hit anything I've had in a long time. I agree it was pretty solid 

• Like 1

One of the greatest moments of my life happened at my local growing up Pizza Hut. The year was probably 1994ish. I had graduated from the every-Saturday lunch at Pizza Hut with Mom and sis in between stops at K-Mart and Sears ritual. And I was now firmly in the lunch buffet with every single fucking person in your high school ritual. A younger than me white teen type came in with his family, and he was at the jukebox. I didn't pay it much mind. Livin on a Prayer came on. I didn't pay it much mind. Kid started grooving to Livin on a Prayer, I started to pay a little more attention. We hit the "We'll give it a shot!!" crescendo and my guy gave a fist pump that would make Tiger blush. Pure Awesome. 

• Haha 1