Weekend in NYC in November: MSG or Broadway???

We are going to be in NYC metro in November and I have a choice of going to see NYRangers hosting the Panthers at MSG or seeing a play on Broadway, such as Book of Mormon(?) or whatever the womens choose in our group.  The Jets and Giants also play that weekend, but IDGAF about either one of them or MetLife Stadium.

I'd really like to go to an event at Madison Square Garden, and the premise of not having to see the NBA is a giant plus.

What would you choose?

My dad was born in 1910 and was 30 years older than my mom.  So think old school guy of the Mad Men era.  He took her to NYC for a week every year.  He'd go back later to re-up his jet rating.  They always took in at least two Broadway shows.  I adopted his philosophy long ago and if my wife and I are in NYC, we are seeing a Broadway musical.  I hear good things about Book of Mormon.  I don't follow hockey. 

I've seen a concert at MSG on New Year's Eve.  I don't think you're missing much as far as seeing an event there. 

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 1

Have been to MSG for both basketball(Knicks / UK) and concerts and have heard that Rangers games can be fun, but I agree with the above poster and would vote for Broadway.  Have lived up this way for 8yrs. and have yet to make it to a Broadway show, may want to check when the Rockettes start their Christmas show, probably after Thanksgiving. 

31 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Have been to MSG for both basketball(Knicks / UK) and concerts and have heard that Rangers games can be fun, but I agree with the above poster and would vote for Broadway.  Have lived up this way for 8yrs. and have yet to make it to a Broadway show, may want to check when the Rockettes start their Christmas show, probably after Thanksgiving. 

Yeah, the Rockettes show is a good one, for sure.

Broadway. You're seeing the best in the country plying their craft in spectacularly intimate venues. But try to see a show you won't normally get in Texas like Hadestown. Book of Mormon rolls through Texas every couple of years.

Edited by mdmost

8 hours ago, RollLeft said:

MSG for a Knicks game over Broadway, but Broadway over your current option.  

Hockey is about 1000X's more interesting than the Knicks, thus the notation in the OP that I wasn't interested in the NBA.

On another front, the reason I suggested Book of Mormon is that my family suggested it as something I would like and actually stay awake for, as even in the movie theater, if something isn't fast paced or tremendously entertaining, I doze off.  If it's overly dramatic or slow as fuck, I will get pissed off and bored- I damned sure won't be happy I dropped that kind of coin on it.  Some a y'all suggesting shows there is zero chance i would like.

Last movie I really liked at theater was Bohemian Rhapsody.  I fell asleep early in Aladdin, but it recovered nicely.  I hate music just for music's sake- these are good examples of what I like and don't like.   Don't fucking bore me.  

Edited by slorch

Hockey is about 1000X's more interesting than the Knicks, thus the notation in the OP that I wasn't interested in the NBA.

On another front, the reason I suggested Book of Mormon is that my family suggested it as something I would like and actually stay awake for, as even in the movie theater, if something isn't fast paced or tremendously entertaining, I doze off.  If it's overly dramatic or slow as fuck, I will get pissed off and bored- I damned sure won't be happy I dropped that kind of coin on it.  Some a y'all suggesting shows there is zero chance i would like.
MSG is a shithole.

Hamilton is amazing.

1 hour ago, slorch said:

Last movie I really liked at theater was Bohemian Rhapsody.  I fell asleep early in Aladdin, but it recovered nicely.  I hate music just for music's sake- these are good examples of what I like and don't like.   Don't fucking bore me.  

Book of Mormon definitely won't bore you as you'll be pissing yourself from laughter or cringing from offense at the jokes thrown out. I mean if you're willing to splurge then get tickets to Hamilton as although you're not getting the original cast, you're getting the absolute top of their game cast. Definitely won't bore you. There's a new slate of Broadway shows that will be going by then. Playbill.com is a good suggestion made earlier as a place to get info. Hadestown I suggested as it just won the Tony for best musical. 

Edited by mdmost