Coax cords, component cords, etc. Does anyone buy scrap?

So i have got three containers full of old scrap cords in my garage i have collected over the years which are largely useless now. Coax, component cords (god what a pain in the ass those were) and my wife has charged me with getting rid of these things. It seems that it would be a complete waste to throw out this much copper and gold plated stuff. 

Is there a scrap place that would buy this shit? Or even a recycling place to donate it if not?

yes, there are several computer recycle trade-in shops here in Killeen and I'm sure there are some in Austin.  Make a mental note of some stuff you might need and go in see what they will give you towards a purchase of an item.  couldnt hurt.  

I use to go into these stores regularly and trade old parts for other old parts.  I use to help older people at the community center fix their old computers and to do that, I generally needed old parts. 

About 10 yrs ago, an older lady said her computer quit working and I told her I would swing by and see what I could do. She was on the Bell County Historical commission and did the research for dozens of historical markers.  No joke... she was still doing her work on a computer from the mid-'80s and she was still saving her data on 5.25" floppy disk. This computer did everything she thought she needed and she wasnt interested in learning a new program, or updated software or hardware.  Luckily, I was able to get her computer, which was essentially a word processor, to work again and she was satisfied.  Subsequently, I built her a computer with windows 7 that also had a working A drive (3.5" floppy), B drive (5.25" floppy), C drive of course, and D drive (RW CD/DVD drive) so she could read her old floppies and copy them to 3 1/2 or Compact Disks.  Ultimately, she wasnt interested in learning a new system and went back to her old DOS system.  I expected her to do that but I tried anyway.

Edited by Soldierhorn
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

Most of the local scrap yards that buy aluminum cans by weight will also buy your cords by weight, priced based on the copper content. It won't be much, but at least it gets chopped and the copper gets recycled.

esto.  In Houston C&D will strip the cables, weigh it, and pay you IN $2 BILLS