Yo Ho Ho - Let's Talk Rum

Eggo

I have a bottle of Mocambo dark rum that is damn good. It comes in a tall bottle with a web of seaweed looking stuff, pretty cool bottle.

i love Moscow mules and have been drinking dark and stormy’s a lot lately, perfect summer drink.

• Like 1

@RPM Brugal is a great value rum.  One of my favorites from DR.

Rum is, far and away, my summer time sipper.  They tend to be fairly inexpensive, too.  In my opinion, Venezuelan rum tends to be richer and more full-bodied.  Atlantico has been my staple for a while for sipping rum.  But, I just stumbled on Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva, and damn it's good.  My new #1.

rum_atl4.jpg

11284156907550.png

Rum is a great drink in the summer.  I enjoy it with some ginger ale and a lime.  My everyday if you will is just some Captain Morgans Spiced.  I just bought a bottle of that 12 yr old Flour de Cana while in Mexico.  I have yet to crack it open but when there I had some and it was pretty good.  I expect that should be drank on the rocks which is how I will probably do.

I'm also a big fan of Cruzan for more of a well drink.  Their aged light rum with Topo Chico and lime is my favorite drink while at the beach.  I also keep a bottle of Pussers on hand for painkillers.  They're awesome by the pool but holy shit, they're like 2000 calories each.  Only rum I don't care for is Myers.  

Great Fred Minnick piece in Forbes from December on sipping rums: https://www.forbes.com/sites/fredminnick/2018/12/13/best-sipping-rums-of-2018-the-ultimate-holiday-gift-guide/#2ad528d6596b

Rum is an amazing sipper.

Put any of these rums up against the best brandies or whiskeys and you'll see that well-aged rum deserves an opportunity to please your palate.

And the best part, you can still find the elite rums. That's right.

While bourbon geeks stand in lines with a hope--no, a prayer--to land a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle, rum enthusiasts can still walk into many American liquor stores and find the best rums. But you cannot rest on your tiki shorts: People are starting to learn of rum's sipping beauty.

Before I get into my best sipping rums of 2018, I must offer a couple disclaimers: This is my opinion and I assessed these on their sipping merit vs. cocktail glory. There are many great rums in the world (I've tasted most), and these are what I believe to be the very best of 2018. They were selected after a long year of tasting, in which I shortlisted these as the best of the best for my palate.

Tried a cocktail the other night made with Paranubes rum out of Oaxaca. Similar to rhum agricole in that it's made primarily from cane juice. I've read it described as somewhere in the spectrum between rhum agricole and cachaca, and I'm eager to get a bottle and try a simple daiquiri.  

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcSBQU7d25-rqH4yWJpdu

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Longhornfan1024 said:

Bourbon and beer with the occasional scotch.  Rum, even the good stuff I've tried, is way too sweet.  

In the same way that some may dislike a highly coveted bourbon or scotch, you won't love them all. I would challenge you to try a Foursquare 2005 or 2007 and tell me it's not a damn good sipper. You only risk trying more booze, and I mean...

21 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Real Cuban Havana Club is great.

Death & Company's cocktail book alleges that Caña Brava aged white rum is the closest thing you'll going to find to Cuban HC in the US. I haven't tried HC, but I'm on board if the comparison is correct.

• Like 1

My brother was in the Cayman Islands a couple of weeks ago and brought this back. It is a nice sipper, aged in bourbon barrels that they sink to a depth of 7 Fathoms (hence the name). If I handed this to you without telling you it was rum, you'd probably think it was whiskey. 

Image result for 7 fathoms

13 minutes ago, Eggo said:

Death & Company's cocktail book alleges that Caña Brava aged white rum is the closest thing you'll going to find to Cuban HC in the US. I haven't tried HC, but I'm on board if the comparison is correct.

I always keep a bottle or two of Cuban Havana Club  Anejo around it's delicious. 

Also,m surprised there's not more love for Flor de Caña on this thread. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I always keep a bottle or two of Cuban Havana Club  Anejo around it's delicious. 

Flor de Caña extra seco white is what I'd buy if I couldn't find Caña Brava around. My FdC 12-year is not super, but I do use it in split base cocktails. 

5 hours ago, Eggo said:

ever since I tried a mojito at babe's in playa del carmen they don't taste right to me unless it is made with havana club añejo 3 años.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

The only FdeC I've had is the 18 YO Centenario.  While good, I didn't like it as well as some other rums I've had, including the Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva and Plantation XO.  Did I do it wrong?  Which one should I pick up?

15 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

The only FdeC I've had is the 18 YO Centenario.  While good, I didn't like it as well as some other rums I've had, including the Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva and Plantation XO.  Did I do it wrong?  Which one should I pick up?

I agree. As mentioned above, I have a 12 YO FdC and tried it as a sipper one night. Ended up dumping half of it down the sink. 

3 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

FIL brought me back a bottle of Havana Club from Cuba a few months back. I need to break that open.

Anybody have any recs on how to drink it?

If you don't like to sip it, make a classic daiquiri. 

2oz rum 

1oz lime juice 

.5 oz simple syrup. 

Shake it up with ice and serve straight. Drink. Repeat. 

• Like 1

Flor de Cana 7 and 4 are very good mixers for rum cocktails, but your money is better spent on other brands at the higher end.

On 7/2/2019 at 8:17 AM, Grippe said:

You should try a spiced rum and ginger ale, especially in the summertime.

This is more or less a poor man's dark & stormy, whereas the classic is made with ginger beer rather than ale. Gosling's also put a trademark on the name Dark & Stormy, but it's a good drink with any aged or dark rum. 

Cheers, Grippe! 

2 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Had Mount Gay and tonic last night, several actually.  

Unbelievable !!  The trick is 3 lime wedges and a 50/50 pour .

I do this with Flor de Cana.  This is a great summer drink.

On 7/2/2019 at 8:15 AM, Eggo said:

Tried a cocktail the other night made with Paranubes rum out of Oaxaca. Similar to rhum agricole in that it's made primarily from cane juice. I've read it described as somewhere in the spectrum between rhum agricole and cachaca, and I'm eager to get a bottle and try a simple daiquiri.  

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcSBQU7d25-rqH4yWJpdu

I like Paranubes in a daiquiri.  You should try Probitas too.  A white rum from Foursquare & Hampden blended by Richard  Seale.  Good stuff!