Yo Ho Ho - Let's Talk Rum

Eggo

4 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

I can't compete with Spanky's HC but I could embarrass him with the ceegars.

People will claim that cognac or whisky are the proper pairings for a good cigar, but that would ignore the natural harmony of two products produced in the same region. 

That being said, I implore you (and everyone) to share your cigar explorations on this thread. 

On 7/2/2019 at 9:29 AM, Macanudo said:

20 years ago, I would have agreed but other makers have caught and maybe even surpassed them. 

Agreed.  I can’t understand why most rum houses still run bottles at 80 proof.  Single barrel/small batch, undosed, cask strength bottlings is what the rum nerds crave these days. Velier and other indy bottlers are the only ones bringing good stuff to market.

Here’s a list of my current daily sippers:

Neisson Reserve Speciale Agricole (Martinique) 84pr

Blackadder’s Guyana Diamond 15yr 97.2pf from Port Morant Still 

Duncan Taylor’s Caroni 16yr (Trinidad) 110.2pf 

Duncan Taylor’s Monymusk 10yr (Jamaica)  109.2pf

Velier’s Worthy Park 10yr (Jamaican) 118pf

Foursquare Empery 14yr (Barbados) 112pf

Real McCoy LE 12yr (Barbados) 92pf

The real standout is Monymusk.  Overly ripe banana and jackfruit with a bit of petrol and asphalt.  It’s Jamaican funk at its best.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Whiskyteer said:

Here’s a list of my current daily sippers:

Neisson Reserve Speciale Agricole (Martinique) 84pr

Blackadder’s Guyana Diamond 15yr 97.2pf from Port Morant Still 

Duncan Taylor’s Caroni 16yr (Trinidad) 110.2pf 

Duncan Taylor’s Monymusk 10yr (Jamaica)  109.2pf

Velier’s Worthy Park 10yr (Jamaican) 118pf

Foursquare Empery 14yr (Barbados) 112pf

Real McCoy LE 12yr (Barbados) 92pf

The real standout is Monymusk.  Overly ripe banana and jackfruit with a bit of petrol and asphalt.  It’s Jamaican funk at its best.

How are you liking your Empery? I won't dare touch mine until I'm celebrating something, but if it's in the same class as the Foursquare 2004, I'm very excite. 

On 7/2/2019 at 9:17 PM, Eggo said:

If you don't like to sip it, make a classic daiquiri. 

2oz rum 

1oz lime juice 

.5 oz simple syrup. 

Shake it up with ice and serve straight. Drink. Repeat. 

Thanks for the reminder. Had one last night, can confirm deliciousness 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

What style of rum makes the best classic daiquiri?

Anything you have on hand will get the job done, but a good white rum is generally accepted as the best choice. 

If you're wandering into a Twin Liquors or the the like, best bet is probably the Flor de Cana Extra Seco 4-year white. Mt Gay has a decent white, too. 

• Like 1

Putting okay rum to good use. Happy Independence Day, you bastards!

mk19VIn.jpg

Edit: spec is: 

2oz rum 

1/2 oz lemon juice

1/2 oz orange juice

1/2 oz grenadine (I make my own using POM juice and pomegranate molasses)

shake and strain 

Edited by Eggo
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, huge said:

bc2ea06db52b776600a91c0cccba8355.jpg

Got a bottle of this for my bday. Anyone have any experience with the brand or bottle?

Tasty sipper! They use the solera method for aging the rum (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solera) and store it in barrels at high altitude. Might sound gimmicky, but the end product is great! I'd drink that neat or with a little ice. 

15 hours ago, huge said:

bc2ea06db52b776600a91c0cccba8355.jpg

Got a bottle of this for my bday. Anyone have any experience with the brand or bottle?

I've had the Ron Zacapa 23 Centenario, and it's a good rum.  The bottle you received should be a step or two up in quality.  I agree with Eggo -- should be good neat or with a cube or two.

• 3 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I’m not a rum guy. Hell, I am not a well versed or frequent drinker, but I do like cachaça and since it often gets lumped in with rum, does cachaca talk also get lumped in with rum talk?

Sure. You could just say any liquor derived from sugar cane or sugar cane byproduct could go here. Have you tried rhum Agricole? It's a rum that's made from cane juice, similar to cachaca. 

Sure. You could just say any liquor derived from sugar cane or sugar cane byproduct could go here. Have you tried rhum Agricole? It's a rum that's made from cane juice, similar to cachaca. 

No, never have tried that.

I never buy cachaca in the US. Selection is pretty weak at most stores with just 2, maybe 3 brands. The last stuff I bought in Brazil was this:

RRwsE9tA_o.jpeg

Pretty damn good. It may be available in the US. Not sure. But typically I get stuff from friends that is made out on a farm/ranch that has no label.

23 hours ago, NOLEimit said:

How about El Dorado 12 and 15 year?  Trying to expand my rum collection a bit

I know my cocktail book often calls for El Dorado 12-year for tiki-style drinks because they use multiple spirits that need to work well together. Have not tried it myself. Supposedly El Dorado uses a wooden still once used by the British Royal Navy, fwiw. 

On 7/26/2019 at 4:22 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

No, never have tried that.

I never buy cachaca in the US. Selection is pretty weak at most stores with just 2, maybe 3 brands. The last stuff I bought in Brazil was this:

RRwsE9tA_o.jpeg

Pretty damn good. It may be available in the US. Not sure. But typically I get stuff from friends that is made out on a farm/ranch that has no label.

Useless history about Rhum Agricole: It always comes from somewhere French or once-French. Haiti and Martinique are two examples. The reason being is that in the early days of the sugar trade between Europe and the New World, the English were much earlier in finding ways to use the molasses byproduct from the sugarcane. The French prohibited the use because they were using the molasses for other things and the Spanish were too deeply-entrenched in the Catholic Church to advocate liquor distillation. 

By the time the French acknowledged the economic benefit of rum production, they started making it using the sugarcane juice that had dropped significantly in price from when the trade first started. Therefore, rhum agricole (could just be called French rum) has a much more vegetal/grassy tone than any other type of rum. 

/csb

On 7/26/2019 at 3:36 PM, Eggo said:

Hiwire in Charleston makes a pretty good one.  Their bourbons are starting to be distributed so hopefully their Agricole does as well. 

On 7/1/2019 at 12:22 PM, Carl Spackler said:

Grabbed a bottle of this recently and, while good, I didn't like it as well as the Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva.  The Chairman's Reserve supposedly comes from casks that were forgotten after a fire at the distillery and then discovered recently.  

Chairman's Reserve Rum / The Forgotten Casks

My cousin from Colorado is a bit of a hipster and definite booze snob. He gave my wife and I a bottle of this as part of our wedding gift a couple of years back. It's prettay, prettay, prettay good.

On 7/1/2019 at 2:45 PM, hornian said:

For Pride month, you have to drink Mount Gay rum. 

On 7/2/2019 at 6:42 AM, Eggo said:

Mt Gay Black Barrell is a good mixer too 

Love me some Mount Gay (NTTIAWWT). Our buddy in Charleston makes The Blind Tiger keep some on hand simply for him. Love me a little Mount Gay and Coke Zero with a lime. I don't want to drink those all night but it's great in the late afternoon on Friday as a kick-start to the weekend. Was in Pogo's the other day and got some of the Mount Gay Black Barrel. Solid.

• Like 1

On 7/4/2019 at 8:30 AM, Buzzrock said:

What style of rum makes the best classic daiquiri?

For the classic Hemingway,  Floridita uses 3yr Havana Club.  There is nothing special about this one.

I’ve tried Probitas.  It’s a blend of whites by Foursquare and Hampden and it’s delicious.

For something interesting, try Paranubes from Oaxaca.  It has grassy qualities like a good agricole/cachaca with ripe apricot.  It’s what all the hip tiki bars are pouring.  

Edited by Whiskyteer
Missing word
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
3 hours ago, deft said:

If my everyday sipping bourbon is makers private select, BT, Evan Williams SiB, Weller green, etc, what are some recommendations for sipping rum?

Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva.  It should cost less than the MMPS and not a lot more than the other bourbons you drink (tip of the cap to a fellow EWSB fan), and it's damn good.

• Like 1

On 7/2/2019 at 6:52 AM, Bozo_Casanova said:

I love Rum and Rhum Agricole and this is a great thread. A lot to agree with so far.
Has anybody else had Bundaberg? They don’t import it to the US, but that’s my favorite and Bundaberg black is the best rum I’ve ever tasted.

Not a fan of Bundaberg at all, but different tastes for different folks.

I'll admit I'm not a connoisseur of rums, but I do like 'em.  My favorites are Mount Gay and El Dorado - I had a Trini engineer that worked for me that would always bring over a bottle of rum and a couple of Cuban cigars every hitch.  

• Hook 'Em 1

• 5 months later...

I've been making a fuckton of daiquiris this summer. I just use Flor de Cana white because it's cheap as hell and pretty damn tasty. They're fun to make for guests that come over for backyard/social distance hangs. Most people have never even had a real daiquiri, and think they're pre-mix blended with ice and bananas and shit. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/26/2019 at 5:29 PM, NOLEimit said:

How about El Dorado 12 and 15 year?  Trying to expand my rum collection a bit

In am only a little over a year late on replying . I have been getting into rum for the last 8 months and Eldorado 15 is one of my favorites. Top 3

Other favorites

Santa Teresa 1796 - has a pepper finish that's awesome 

Pyrat Rum XO reserve 

Diplomatico reserva exclusiva

Bumbu XO (black bottle) ..the cheaper one is ass with artificial banana flavoring 

Viizcaya spiced

Totally dislike this one:

Appleton Estate rare Blend 12 years. Awful

But the winner for shit rum is:

Timber Creek Florida Rum is the worst rum I have ever had in my life. Straight up rubbing alcohol taste better and I so badly want to kick the makers in the nuts for even creating this poisonous scum pond water. 

Nectar of the gods. They stopped making it in 2015. I have went around the country buying up as many cases as i could find. Have the cases stored away in spare bedroom closet. Love this rum as a light drink. Half and half with coke and a lime =heaven on earth5f72b461ad8fe01b1ffd23435d526b43.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk