Yo Ho Ho - Let's Talk Rum

Eggo

rum is strange drink .some people love certain ones and others cant understand why. There are flavors in some rums that i cant stand on their own but i love in a certain rum . craziness craziness.barell matters and age. sugar cane or molasses . its all deep 

I have had to type this shit out 3 times because i am drunk on rum. 

I am arguing with he wife as to why eggs don't taste like chicken

• Like 1

That one was $95 and the taste is good. The Foursquare exceptional cask bottles are more akin to a good sipping Whisky than any other rum I know. Honestly, I'm not good with tasting notes, so here's what Google says:

"Notes of allspice, dates, vanilla bean, coconut and fried dough" 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/22/2020 at 7:36 PM, nineliveslost said:

rum is strange drink .some people love certain ones and others cant understand why. There are flavors in some rums that i cant stand on their own but i love in a certain rum . craziness craziness.barell matters and age. sugar cane or molasses . its all deep 

I have had to type this shit out 3 times because i am drunk on rum. 

I am arguing with he wife as to why eggs don't taste like chicken

Nothing like having a conversation with a rummy.  The only thing better is a rum-soaked fishing guide.  

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

This stuff is legit, esp. considering it's under $40.  I get a good amount of brown sugar, vanilla, and some coconut, with a little burnt sugar note at the end.  Sweet, but not as sweet as the Diplomatico RE.  A good sipper and you could probably use it for blending as well.        

El Dorado Rum 12 Year Old : The Whisky Exchange

How does it compare to the El Dorado 15 (which is one of my favorites)?

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/2/2019 at 10:41 AM, Bozo_Casanova said:

I always keep a bottle or two of Cuban Havana Club  Anejo around it's delicious. 

Also,m surprised there's not more love for Flor de Caña on this thread. 

Do you buy it online?  I really like the Puerto Rican version and have wanted to try the Cuban version. 

22 minutes ago, Teamdirtyleg said:

Do you buy it online?  I really like the Puerto Rican version and have wanted to try the Cuban version. 

Nah, every once in a while I get lucky and somebody brings me some. My favorite is Bundaberg from Australia, but it's not sold in the US and is generally hard to get.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Teamdirtyleg said:

Keep in mind they're both Havana Club in name alone. A lot of bad blood there between families.

I scored 2 bottles of Cuban from duty free on my way home from Quito last year. Almost out of my last one. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 3/31/2021 at 9:04 PM, Carl Spackler said:

It's pretty warm out here today, and that means it's time to break out the rum when I sit on the front porch this evening.  Will probably kill off my bottle of this.  

Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva Rum — Bitters & Bottles

Just finished one of these last weekend on a Sunday funday bender by the pool.  

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Teamdirtyleg said:

Is it true Cana Brava is discontinued?

my sister that lives in Guatemala is going to bring me some of the Cuban Havana Club.  
btw, anyone have a review in the light version.  

C35EA2D8-EBEB-48CC-BAA2-858636BE468F.jpeg

Yeah CB parent company was sold and CB wasn't part of the deal. Terrible. 

I haven't had the light Havana Club but the 7 year makes a damn fine daq. 

14 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

I credit the revival of this thread to inspiring me to drink El Dorado 12YO tonight.  Thank you, Surly.

El Dorado 12-Year | Rum Ratings

Very, very nice

On 6/5/2021 at 8:51 AM, Eggo said:

Yeah CB parent company was sold and CB wasn't part of the deal. Terrible. 

I haven't had the light Havana Club but the 7 year makes a damn fine daq. 

I’m heading to Roatan in a month and I’m going to see if Santiago De Cuba is available.  Anyone have any opinions on it?

by the way, why is Cockspur so damn hard to find all of a sudden?  Covid issues?  I read that the parent company is battling with the other Barbados rum makers about what constitutes Barbados rum.  They want to haul it to Europe to age and the rest aren’t cool with that.  Don’t know if that had anything to do with it

Edited by Teamdirtyleg

• 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Eggo said:

Whiskey drinkers will stare down their noses at drinks like a Painkiller, but that shit is fucking delicious when done right and isn't cloying. 

Truth. 

And a real piña colada (not one from a mix, not frozen) is one of the best summer drinks. The one at Under the Volcano in West U is my favorite in the State. 

• 2 years later...