A "volcano" of oil spewing at the bottom of the Gulf of Mexico

Lovely.  Fuck Taylor Energy. 

A hole as wide as a basketball court had opened on the sea floor and thousands of gallons of Louisiana sweet crude gushed through. Amberjack, a popular sport fish, meandered through millions of toxic oil bubbles rising through the dark water. “We saw a volcano coming up,” Couvillion recalled in a recent interview. “I had no idea it was that bad.”

Over the nearly 15 years since Hurricane Ivan knocked down a production platform operated by Taylor Energy Co., the company has claimed that less than three gallons a day were seeping out. But video exclusively obtained by The Washington Post, and verified by federal officials familiar with the site, shows a large volume of oil pouring out of an erosion pit where the tower was destroyed.

The government is relying on Couvillion, a former fishing boat captain turned engineer, to contain the spill and recover some of the oil. And the amount he has captured so far is proving Taylor Energy wrong.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2019/national/couvillion-gulf-oil-spill-containment/

1 hour ago, RPM said:

Interesting read. 

Yeah, very. So it says in there that they're recovering the oil & sending the natural gas & water back into the sea. I'm guessing they're using some kind of centrifugal separator, but who knows. Why send the natural gas back into the water though? Seems like it will just bubble out into the atmosphere. Is that not considered a worry? Is it just not a big deal, or are the amounts considered trivial?

1 minute ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

It makes me wonder what else is out there in the Gulf, leaking away, unmonitored. 

Yeah, while reading the story I thought back to high school trips to Galveston, coming back from the water with tar-stained feet. Hmmm ... 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, wood said:

Why send the natural gas back into the water though? Seems like it will just bubble out into the atmosphere. Is that not considered a worry? Is it just not a big deal, or are the amounts considered trivial?

Not a scientist, but i would imagine the gas that isn't absorbed by the water does escape to the atmosphere. The amount absorbed would be extremely hard to separate and will eventually evap on it's own.

5 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

It makes me wonder what else is out there in the Gulf, leaking away, unmonitored. 

7 minutes ago, wood said:

Yeah, while reading the story I thought back to high school trips to Galveston, coming back from the water with tar-stained feet. Hmmm ... 

Ixtoc 1 talk not going away.

• Like 1

Also, the part acting like the separation was some sort of miracle confused me. Separating 1200 gallons per day is not some sort of unprecedented thing in the industry. I guess it has to do with required PPM after separation but even then the photo made it clear they're doing it in multiple stages.

That's not to minimize the other obstacles they've overcome.

1 hour ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

There’s lots of oil leaking into the oceans all the time, naturally and sometimes otherwise. There’s an ecosystem for it, provided we haven’t or won’t fuck it up. 

22 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Also, the part acting like the separation was some sort of miracle confused me. Separating 1200 gallons per day is not some sort of unprecedented thing in the industry. I guess it has to do with required PPM after separation but even then the photo made it clear they're doing it in multiple stages.

That's not to minimize the other obstacles they've overcome.

Struck me as odd also.  There must be some peculiarity they aren't mentioning.  Water has been separated from oil and gas from almost the get-go of drilling and production.

18 hours ago, DCA_HORN said:

As is the case with journalists and technical topics they usually screw up whatever they are talking about. Also I believe Taylor sold out to some asian company a decade ago.

Ah, the old Bayer-Monsanto defense.

• 2 years later...