Angels Tyler Skaggs has died

Gil Bang

4 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Truth.  Every day I think, "I walked around for three days with my brain bleeding --There's literally no way I should still be alive."  And I have had very few bad days since.

Yep several people close to me have had an aneurysm the past couple of years and somehow all have survived. 

i've been through way too much in my life to not appreciate every single day. every day where im alive, i'm ambulatory, and my loved ones are ok is a blessing. even if today was awful, tomorrow is a new day and a new opportunity to live, love, explore, listen to music, watch a sunset, or take in a ball game. i try to make sure i show my appreciate for this life every single day that i have it. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Longhorn said:

I hope its not the Arlington Hilton.  That place is lonely.

Typically, when they don't say the cause of death, it means suicide.

Or it means he’s only been dead for a few hours and they haven’t had time to do an autopsy.

I bet anything it was some type of heart issue. That shit can get anyone at anytime.

i've been through way too much in my life to not appreciate every single day. every day where im alive, i'm ambulatory, and my loved ones are ok is a blessing. even if today was awful, tomorrow is a new day and a new opportunity to live, love, explore, listen to music, watch a sunset, or take in a ball game. i try to make sure i show my appreciate for this life every single day that i have it. 

Generally speaking, I find you to be a fat dipshit. But what you wrote right there man, that’s poetry and you are 100% correct and I’m now a fan.
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

Generally speaking, I find you to be a fat dipshit. But what you wrote right there man, that’s poetry and you are 100% correct and I’m now a fan.

and look at that- i just pos repped you before even reading this. cats and dogs living together and all that. and i mean shit, one lesson that i've head to learn the long and hard way is that at the end of the day it's just so much easier to be nice and happy than to be angry and combative. you get caught up in the idea of yourself and lose sight of what's important. 

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 4

I wonder if organizations will start doing more monthly health checks if it turns out to be a heart attack. Not sure what kind of testing can be done for a brain aneurysm, but it seems that having a monthly MRI when you paying these guys millions of dollars seems like a wise investment.

19 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

I wonder if organizations will start doing more monthly health checks if it turns out to be a heart attack. Not sure what kind of testing can be done for a brain aneurysm, but it seems that having a monthly MRI when you paying these guys millions of dollars seems like a wise investment.

I don't think you can get an MRI monthly lol. And that's mainly for the brain. But you can definitely get an EKG or echocardiogram. 

5 hours ago, TheFlagship said:

Darryl Kile had a heart attack in the hotel room, I feel like it’s something similar.

Wasn't Kyle's contributed at least partially to the ephedrine caffine aspirin stack and one of the contributing factors to ephedrine being outlawed by the FDA? Or am I think about another MLB player

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

And why not?

Contrast MRI's use heavy metals - so generally (based on my experience) you want to limit how often you get one. Non-contrast would be fine I guess. But I still can't imagine needing an MRI every month. 

An actual physician is welcome to chime in however. 

52 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

and look at that- i just pos repped you before even reading this. cats and dogs living together and all that. and i mean shit, one lesson that i've head to learn the long and hard way is that at the end of the day it's just so much easier to be nice and happy than to be angry and combative. you get caught up in the idea of yourself and lose sight of what's important. 

You're on the right track.  I'm sure of it. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

Artie Moreno's a really nice guy.  He won't hesitate to spend money if it saves lives. 

Fucking mexican's first act as owner was lowering the price of beer.  He's a hero. 

I believe you. As is he’s been willing to spend a ton of money for an average baseball team. 

5 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

I'm getting drug overdose vibe.

It's a hard thing to say but I had rather hear that he blew out an aorta from a defect than he overamped. 

4 hours ago, Longhorn said:

Got it.  Didn't read that closely.  Southlake is like 40 min from there. If they are staying the far, surprised they don't stay in Uptown.

Because getting out of Dallas is a got dam mess 24/7.  Southlake to the Temple is 1709/114/360 and walla you're there. Traffic is more predictable. 

the man is dead, and he's on a slab somewhere at 40 degrees fahrenheit.   

But yeah, it's weird but it seems like it would be so much better for his family if his death was natural.  He's still dead, but OD or suicide would be a "waste".    

I immediately had flashbacks to that day. Texas on its way to win a CWS as well. How can a young athlete have a 99 percent blockage in his widow maker. 

Genetic. I had 90% blockage in it with perfect numbers. A more detailed blood panel showed I have a genetic marker that causes all cholesterol, good and bad, to be wrapped in an extra protein. That protein is sticky and is what causes the blockage. There’s nothing you can do other than eat no cholesterol and monitor it.

3 hours ago, ztejas said:

Contrast MRI's use heavy metals - so generally (based on my experience) you want to limit how often you get one. Non-contrast would be fine I guess. But I still can't imagine needing an MRI every month. 

An actual physician is welcome to chime in however. 

No metals used in a brain MRI.

Edited by Beau Vine

Genetic. I had 90% blockage in it with perfect numbers. A more detailed blood panel showed I have a genetic marker that causes all cholesterol, good and bad, to be wrapped in an extra protein. That protein is sticky and is what causes the blockage. There’s nothing you can do other than eat no cholesterol and monitor it.

Would the heart scans help? I had one down here in Houston a few years ago, but I’m pretty sure St David’s in Austin has a similar program.

10 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

This. Two of the "most in shape" people I know- One a UPS driver with no body fat and another a HS referee that are on their feet all day exercising both had blockages. On the flip side you have people who's only exercise is walking to the fridge who eat like shit and are overweight that have perfectly great tickers and cholesterol. 

It's why they always ask about family history. If you have a family history of heart disease or high cholesterol you need to be going to your doctor on a regular basis (at least yearly) to get all that shit checked. 

I have a buddy of mine who struggles with his weight. He's not huge but 20 lbs overweight who lost his dad when he was 50 to a massive heart attack. He is basically a ticking time bomb to a certain extent. 

I have heart history in my dads side of the family.

He is in very good shape for his age and has stents and defib and all that.

The day I turned 40 my cholesterol (which had always been fine) went up and now I'm on the meds.  Check it every 6 months.  

Shit hits close to home.

It's crazy how nonsensical health problems can be. I have a 500lb patient who has perfect blood sugar and then I have a younger guy who is a frequent cyclist that has type 2 diabetes. It wouldn't surprise me if this young man died from a heart attack. Every day is a damn blessing guys.

can't Benson and Stabler tell the ME they need a rush on it and get it done by this afternoon?

joking aside, how can that be known at this point? like what does the ME see that gives them this October date for finishing the autopsy?

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

can't Benson and Stabler tell the ME they need a rush on it and get it done by this afternoon?

joking aside, how can that be known at this point? like what does the ME see that gives them this October date for finishing the autopsy?

Not sure I have an answer.  Probably running several variations of tox reports.  Could have something jurisdictional about it.  Maybe the family wants the body transported back to CA for autopsy. Maybe they want one done here and one there so there's multiple data points.  Just really weird, and would suck to have to wait 3 months to know how your son/husband/brother passed away.  

3 hours ago, Hate said:

Would the heart scans help? I had one down here in Houston a few years ago, but I’m pretty sure St David’s in Austin has a similar program.

I would think so.  Seton has the heart scan machine that looks for blockage. I'm 3 years in and my next cardiologist appt is in August. I was planning on asking my doctor about it. It's like $200 out of pocket so it's a small price for peace of mind.

48 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Medical Examiner just said his autopsy will take until October.  

Ouch.  That's horrifying for the family.  

Was that autopsy or toxicology  ?     

A preliminary autopsy can normally be released within 24-48 hrs.

4 minutes ago, torre said:

Was that autopsy or toxicology  ?     

A preliminary autopsy can normally be released within 24-48 hrs.

https://sports.yahoo.com/medical-examiner-tyler-skaggs-autopsy-will-take-until-october-180456031.html

The sudden death of Los Angeles Angels pitcher Tyler Skaggs stunned the baseball world Monday. He was 27 years old, lined up for a start on Fourth of July — and then he was found dead in his hotel room in Texas before the Angels’ game against the Texas Rangers.

There’s still plenty we don’t know about the circumstances surrounding Skaggs’ death, mainly the cause of his death. We know he was found unresponsive by authorities Monday afternoon and was pronounced dead on the scene. Police have said they don’t suspect foul play.

The Tarrant County Medical Examiner told reporters it would begin its autopsy on Skaggs on Tuesday, but it wouldn’t be completed until October. According to USA Today, Skaggs’ family requested the medical examiner withhold the autopsy information until then:

Tarrant Co. Medical Examiner says it will withhold autopsy information regarding Tyler Skaggs, per the family's request, pending completion of a final examination. It estimates a completion date of Oct. 2.

Police did say again Tuesday that they don’t believe it was a suicide. The Fort Worth Star-Telegraph reports:

n these early stages of the investigation, it does not appear at this time that suicide was the cause of death.”

The Angels and Rangers will return to action Tuesday, the teams announced. There will be a moment of silence before first pitch.

Edited by Trey3216

I would think so.  Seton has the heart scan machine that looks for blockage. I'm 3 years in and my next cardiologist appt is in August. I was planning on asking my doctor about it. It's like $200 out of pocket so it's a small price for peace of mind.

It’s worth every penny. I had one done about 3 years ago when I was 47. The heart was clear, but they found a little build up in my carotid artery. The hospital recommended that I see a vascular surgeon to discuss treatment options, but I did a little research and found that there doesn’t seem to be much of a benefit to the surgery to fix what I have and it may have introduced more of a possibility of a stroke. I took the results to my GP who recommended a statin even though my cholesterol levels were ok. He said the statin would prevent buildup as well as breakdown the buildup already there over the years.