Angels Tyler Skaggs has died

Gil Bang

This ain't CSI. If they have blood/fluid/tissue tests they probably have to send them away with a 90 day turnaround.  That being said, if there is no indication of foul play they should release the body to the family in CA and let them figure out the next step.

11 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

Darryl Kile died on a Saturday and the preliminary autopsy was released on Monday. This has to be a family request.

It says above that preliminary results are being withheld at the request of the family. 

I don’t understand the thinking there, but I also hope I never have to. 

I would think so.  Seton has the heart scan machine that looks for blockage. I'm 3 years in and my next cardiologist appt is in August. I was planning on asking my doctor about it. It's like $200 out of pocket so it's a small price for peace of mind.
What's the process for this. Do you set up an appt with a cardiologist at Seton and they refer you to have a heart scan done? Can your gp refer you to have the heart scan done? $200 is really cheap.

It seems to me that if it were a natural death the family would let it be public if nothing else than to serve as PSA...go get yourself checked kind of thing.

This kind of has me thinking there might be a drug situation at work. Especially with the police saying they don’t believe it’s a suicide.

16 hours ago, gsoda3 said:
20 hours ago, CooterBrown said:
I would think so.  Seton has the heart scan machine that looks for blockage. I'm 3 years in and my next cardiologist appt is in August. I was planning on asking my doctor about it. It's like $200 out of pocket so it's a small price for peace of mind.

What's the process for this. Do you set up an appt with a cardiologist at Seton and they refer you to have a heart scan done? Can your gp refer you to have the heart scan done? $200 is really cheap.

Here's the link...https://www.seton.net/heart-care/diagnosis/heart-healthy-ct-scan/

I may have pulled that $200 out of my ass but that's the number I heard a couple of years ago. It may be covered by insurance also.  I will find out for sure in August when I go for my next cardio appt.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Longhorn said:

How does life insurance companies do this? Do they pay out for suicide or overdose? Do they wait until October before they payout or do they payout regardless of how he died?

Yeah, suicide is not excluded in most life insurance policies but there is a "waiting period." In other words you can't take out a policy and then kill yourself in the first month and expect payment to your beneficiaries. To answer your second question, the carrier will not pay until they finish their own investigation. Our close group had a good friend die of a heart attack a little more than a year ago and his life insurance was in question because he'd bought the policy as a non-smoker, which he most certainly was not. (The OR doc noted the fact he was a smoker on the death cert and it was a real problem for a little while with the carrier.) I don't know what his widow had to do but she wound up getting the death benefit.

4 minutes ago, Hate said:

I did the combo package at Houston Methodist. It includes a scan of your major arteries for $205.

https://www.houstonmethodist.org/heart-vascular/diagnostic-imaging/heart-scan-packages/

It's been about 6-7 years but my PCP had somebody in his office that had a device where they ran it across my neck and were able to get a sense of arterial health, etc. It was interesting. I was in-line with my age, which was around 39-40 at the time. I haven't heard anything about that device since so don't know if it took off.

2 hours ago, C-Man said:

It's been about 6-7 years but my PCP had somebody in his office that had a device where they ran it across my neck and were able to get a sense of arterial health, etc. It was interesting. I was in-line with my age, which was around 39-40 at the time. I haven't heard anything about that device since so don't know if it took off.

I had my carotids done about 6 months ago with an ultrasound. Took a few minutes and then a week or so later some radiologist reviewed the results and gave them to my doc. It's not a full heart scan but it's a quick, easy and inexpensive  indication of if you're prone to clogging or not.

On 7/3/2019 at 9:00 PM, Deej said:

Accidental asphyxiation? Not trying to be cute, but the vagueness of the statements and such. 

Yeah.  Do they usually classify that as suicide?  I guess not since it's unintentional.  It does seem like it would be announced if it was a heart defect or aneurysm.  

• 1 month later...

It was drugs and a good number of them

https://www.latimes.com/sports/angels/story/2019-08-30/tyler-skaggs-autopsy-report-fentanyl-oxycodone-alcohol-angels-rusty-hardin

Angels pitcher Tyler Skaggs had the opioids fentanyl and oxycodone along with alcohol in his system when he was found dead in his Texas hotel room July 1, according to a toxicology report that will be released Friday by the Tarrant County medical examiner’s office.

The cause of death is listed as a mixture of “alcohol, fentanyl and oxycodone intoxication with terminal aspiration of gastric contents,” meaning Skaggs, 27, essentially choked on his vomit while under the influence. The death, according to the report, was ruled an accident. He was found on his bed, fully clothed, and there were no signs of trauma.

Edited by Surly Bevo

It was drugs and a good number of them
https://www.latimes.com/sports/angels/story/2019-08-30/tyler-skaggs-autopsy-report-fentanyl-oxycodone-alcohol-angels-rusty-hardin
Angels pitcher Tyler Skaggs had the opioids fentanyl and oxycodone along with alcohol in his system when he was found dead in his Texas hotel room July 1, according to a toxicology report that will be released Friday by the Tarrant County medical examiner’s office.
The cause of death is listed as a mixture of “alcohol, fentanyl and oxycodone intoxication with terminal aspiration of gastric contents,” meaning Skaggs, 27, essentially choked on his vomit while under the influence. The death, according to the report, was ruled an accident. He was found on his bed, fully clothed, and there were no signs of trauma.

#SadFace

2 hours ago, DanRydell said:

It's increasingly common for oxy to be laced with fentanyl, often without the knowledge of the user.

I'm kind of confused why fentanyl-laced oxycodone/contin would have any appeal to the seller?  To a buyer, implying knowledge, sure.  But why soup up a pill that already commands a premium?

I'm kind of confused why fentanyl-laced oxycodone/contin would have any appeal to the seller?  To a buyer, implying knowledge, sure.  But why soup up a pill that already commands a premium?

I’m far from an expert but my understanding is it’s not actually oxy, it’s Mexican cartel-made counterfeit oxy, and they make it partly with fentanyl because it’s cheaper and/or easier.

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Because oftentimes the seller doesn't know. Or they do know and try and sell it anyway. Sellers sell what they can get their hands on - just like buyers buy the same. 

3 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Who got him drunk in the middle of the afternoon?

Not sure it matters. You don't need booze to OD on fent. 

2 hours ago, clapclapclap said:

Has the Surly "Drugs are awesome!" crowd taken a position?  "At least he died doing what he loved"?

If you think fent is awesome you're a fucking retard. Super take though. 

1 hour ago, thestud said:

Bingo. Or the other possibility is it was oxy, they crushed it up, added some inert filler, then added fentanyl to add some potency. Turned 500 oxy pills into 2000 for a fraction of the real price. Fentanyl and carfentanyl are easy to get and cheap. You can go online right now and order bulk fentanyl from China.

So basically there's zero chance he was taking prescription oxy?

8 hours ago, DanRydell said:

Skaggs’ family, and Rusty Hardin, are alleging an Angels employee gave Skaggs fentanyl-laced oxy.

He bought it from someone, but why does it matter?  Just another shitty war on drugs solution is on the way, I guess. If you want to make sure that addicts have treatment or at least die from clean shit, you need to stop blaming the pusher.  Legalize everything. Then you know everything is pharmacy pure. Addicts may still die, but at least they will be dieing on purpose. But they'd also have access to new rehab programs that could be funded by taxes on all scheduled narcotics.