Dog food

47 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

At that price why not just feed him hamburger and put vitamins in it.

yep. it's the cost of convenience for a good product. 

If you have the want to, however, you can blend up a very good product of your own.  you can buy a whole chicken on sale for a $1 a pound and a turkey for the same off season.  You can buy a lot of good stuff on sale the day of expiration including expired eggs.  You may not want to eat it but the dogs would LOVE it.  If you think about it, there's a lot you can add to this list and most of it can be frozen. 

Edited by Soldierhorn

• 2 weeks later...

So, no humblebrag intended, but what the fuck.

So, I spent the day with two vets, a husband and wife team.  We were in the same party in an owner's suite at the races in Del Mar. 

She's REALLY into this dog food issue, and she's a big fan of Purina Pro Plan.  For my newfie, she says Purina Pro Plan large breed, with a spoonful of plain yogurt on top is the best thing I can do. 

The Husband's practice is mostly dairy cows and beef cattle, so he didn't have much to say about it. They live in the Fresno, CA area.  They are both UC Davis grads, so there is no aggie dumbshittery involved here.  

Edited by Gil Bang

So, I spent the day with two vets, a husband and wife team.  We were in the same party in an owner's suite at the races in Del Mar. 
She's REALLY into this dog food issue, and she's a big fan of Purina Pro Plan.  For my newfie, she says Purina Pro Plan large breed, with a spoonful of plain yogurt on top is the best thing I can do. 
The Husband's practice is mostly dairy cows and beef cattle, so he didn't have much to say about it. They live in the Fresno, CA area.  They are both UC Davis grads, so there is no aggie dumbshittery involved here.  
Well I'm humbled you brought up my thread at the owners suite for me. To update my situation, I switched first to HEB dog food since that is what my brother gives his and they stay with each other
But I have heard the same thing about Purina pro so I might just go with that. Next bag will be the decider.

1 hour ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

We tried Pro Plan for a puppie once, but it gave him skin issues. Switched to PMI Exclusive and issues went away. Doesn't mean Pro Plan is bad, it just didn't work for our pup.

The newfie club recommends salmon oil.  We tried it, but our big dumbshit's breath was horrible.   Our vet friend said she recommends salmon oil when there's a skin or coat issue, but otherwise the proplan is fine on it's own. 

To be clear, I'm just trying to convey one "expert's" opinion.  She was very generous with her time and she's passionate and well-informed on the issue.  She mentioned a couple of conferences that she attended where this was a topic. 

Your mileage may vary.  You may have an aggy vet that you trust that says the opposite. 

Whatever.  

A friend of mine just Adopted a dog and their vet out in Lakeway/bee caves recommend s Purina as well. I think I'll go with that since I can buy it at HEB as well. The HEB stuff was tiny pieces, seems like it is better to have bigger bites for big dogs?

8 hours ago, 52-80 said:

My dog likes salmon oil and loves the yogurt.  You gotta figure out what your dog prefer.  Just cuz some vet says Purina or pedigree or acana or whatever the fuck doesn't mean your dog will take a liking to it

He's a newfie.  He'll eat anything and everything.

16 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

My vets recommended the same, one in TN and one in FL. The sales people must be making their rounds.

Our breeder gave us a specialty grain free food, but after the vet visits they both cited the heart disease study and recommended Pro Plan. I don’t think he cares one way or another since at this point he’s eaten whatever has found it’s way to his bowl or the floor for that matter.

bought some of the pro plan stuff.  I've been feeding Kev Acana forever because it's "high quality", I think I rationalized spending $$ on quality ingredients because boxer=cancer, and Acana was the food that didn't give him explosive diarrhea.  Of course, that was as a puppy, he's got a bit more of a solid stomach now, and my vet was getting on me about the study.  So, mixing that in, we'll see how it goes.

I asked the vet about Boxers, because my parent's boxer dropped dead a while back.  She said with boxers, it's either the heart or cancer that gets them, and it's critical to have a semi-annual vet visit to have their heart checked.  She said heart issues can be treated with meds if they are caught early enough. 

Two of my dogs eat Pro Plan. They are just as healthy as when I fed them food that cost twice as much.

My third dog had a liver shunt that had to be surgically repaired and will be on prescription food (Royal Canin Hepatic formula) that runs me about 160 bucks every five weeks, for kibble and canned. FML. I also make her a mix rice, chicken thighs, green beans, cottage cheese, and canola oil to help slow the amount of dog food I'm buying for her.

4 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

I asked the vet about Boxers, because my parent's boxer dropped dead a while back.  She said with boxers, it's either the heart or cancer that gets them, and it's critical to have a semi-annual vet visit to have their heart checked.  She said heart issues can be treated with meds if they are caught early enough. 

We were on Acana but now trying to find a quality food with pea or grain like subsistute. Trying diamond naturals which has brown rice 

15 hours ago, baboso said:

Goddamn, they are dogs.  Ol' Roy, eat it or starve, hound.

I laughed.  and so true but I have to say, cat people are the WORST and it's not even close.  

There's a neighborhood facebook type chat program called "nextdoor".  Our neighborhood nextdoor would be overrun by old cat ladies if we didnt post relevant local stuff daily.  and I'm convinced they run these so called non-profit cat rescue and foster homes just to justify their hoarding. it's such a weird subculture. 

To the above, cats are obligate carnivores, dogs, even wolves, all canids, are variously called mesocarnivores or omnivores, but they definitely need meat to get certain amino acids.  Canids are more tolerant of non-meat than felids.

People love their pets.  No one needs to get aggro about it.

I dont think anyone is getting "aggro about it"... but cat people are the worst... much worst. and, I have a cat but I will never have more than one cat. why? because there is no upside to having a cat except for women to say aaaawwww.

It was funny the other day on nextdoor, a cat lady donated $5 to the homeless shelter and then went on this long speech about how others should feel guilty for not feeling the same and we should feel guilty and shameful for not supporting the homeless shelter. And, again, she gave $5

The next day, she came on the page asking for donations of cat food (which coincidentally cost about $5 per bag) hahaha  these hoarders have turned liberalism into a scamming emotional science (yes, that is contradictory, which is the point).  These are crazy cat ladies and they are multiplying like... feral cats

EVERY DAY one of these old crazy cat ladies come on the site begging for donations to their "rescue", which in reality is they just want others to help (enable) them in their hoarding obsession. 

On 7/4/2019 at 8:29 PM, Soldierhorn said:

I'm going to skip a lot of the malarkey.

Dogs dont eat grains in nature - that's not what they do - but they will eat just about anything that is mixed with meat, which happens if they eat the stomach of what they eat.  Dogs dont eat cooked food in nature either but being part scavenger, they will eat cooked meat. The fact that dogs will eat what humans feed them is not evolutionary any more than eating out of a human bowl means they are ready to sit at the table with a fork and knife and hold a conversation.  It also doesnt mean that eating grains and cooked food is necessarily good for them either.  

There's nothing "in nature" about dogs today, unless you live in Australia.

Lazy fucks wanna eat whatever I'm havin'.

My lab would eat a bowl of rocks if that's what I gave him.  He'll eat anything, and as much of it as he could.  Because of that we have him on a pretty simple diet of Rachel Ray's Nutrish, supplemented by scraps and treats to satiate his insatiable appetite.

17 minutes ago, Cajun said:

There's nothing "in nature" about dogs today, unless you live in Australia.

Lazy fucks wanna eat whatever I'm havin'.

Not true.  packs of wild dogs killed a lot of stock animals on the ranches where I grew up.  If forced to do so, it is true that some or most breds would not survive as a bred (survival of the fittest or they would interbred) but that is natural, as "in nature." 

We paid for higher end dry food for our last golden retriever and he died of leukemia at age 8. Anecdotal with a sample size of one, but still.

We currently have a lab and a golden retriever that we feed Kirkland Nature’s Domain, but I see that it’s on the list. Maybe it’s time to switch.

We’ve used Fromm, California Natural, and Blue Buffalo in the past. All of those are on the list. It’s a wonder our 11 year old lab is still running around like a puppy.

I guess I’ll check with the vet at our upcoming visit. They’ll probably recommend an in-house brand that’s $80/bag, then we’ll pay a lot more until another study comes out in 2-3 years and we all have this discussion again.

On 7/22/2019 at 4:17 PM, Soldierhorn said:

Not true.  packs of wild dogs killed a lot of stock animals on the ranches where I grew up.  If forced to do so, it is true that some or most breds would not survive as a bred (survival of the fittest or they would interbred) but that is natural, as "in nature." 

It was meant mostly as a tongue-in-cheek post.

Poorly authored, I'll admit.

fucking neighbors (plural) let their fucking cats (plural) roam around the neighborhood day and night.  climb all over my car, shit everywhere (including on the car), and pisses off the dog especially at night when she's supposed to be chill.

fuck cats and fuck these neighbors

• 2 weeks later...