Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

2 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

There were rumors that Wake Forest wanted Shaka. They also wanted him back in '14 so it would make sense (the tweet below is from '14). 

More power to anyone who wants to take this clown our hands, but... WHY?

What about Texas basketball over the last four years makes you think "I want to look like that?"

15 minutes ago, Tired Horn said:

What about Texas basketball over the last four years makes you think "I want to look like that?"

Duh. He's SO cool. And he went to a Final Four. There are only about five or six coaches in the whole country out there who can say that, give or take. 

/casual fan'd

Something I just realized and maybe it's already been discussed but John Currie was just hired as the AD at Wake Forest. 

Remember, CDC hired him as a consultant at Texas back in November. 

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/sports/college/university-of-tennessee/football/2018/11/13/ut-vols-john-currie-texas-longhorns-phillip-fulmer-tennessee/1996098002/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

Something I just realized and maybe it's already been discussed but John Currie was just hired as the AD at Wake Forest. 

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/sports/college/university-of-tennessee/football/2018/11/13/ut-vols-john-currie-texas-longhorns-phillip-fulmer-tennessee/1996098002/

odds that their last conversation included the phrase "you fucking OWE me, dude"?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

"Shaka would be a massive get for us." lmao 

Actually, I could see him doing much better there than here. Maybe "massive" is a bit much, but I have zero doubt that he will be a better coach somewhere else at some point in the future. Though he probably ought to head back to a mid-major instead of someplace like the ACC.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tired Horn said:

He made a final 4 though. He has to be good!

5 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Currie also was the AD at Kansas State when they hired Weber so he has no qualms hiring a guy with limited success at his previous school.

Honestly though, I don't think Wake hires Smart. Main reason is Manning just signed a massive extension till 2025 so he's gonna require a substantial buyout to fire him which means they'll probably try to get their next coach on the cheap. Shaka won't be cheap. 

9 minutes ago, deac_tracy said:

Currie also was the AD at Kansas State when they hired Weber so he has no qualms hiring a guy with limited success at his previous school.

Honestly though, I don't think Wake hires Smart. Main reason is Manning just signed a massive extension till 2025 so he's gonna require a substantial buyout to fire him which means they'll probably try to get their next coach on the cheap. Shaka won't be cheap. 

A Wake fan on a Texas board, never thought I'd see the day.

9 minutes ago, deac_tracy said:

he will be if we are paying part of his "salary".  see Charlie Strong.

8 minutes ago, deac_tracy said:

Huh? Weber won the Big 10 in each of his first two years and went 37-2 (15-1) and took the Illini to the NCAA title game in year two. He went 89-16 in his first three years there. All of that is light years behind what Shaka has done. 

5 hours ago, markstanco said:

Hilarious. TCU. WTF. Laying the wood in austin.

TCU. How fucking embarrassing.

Must really suck to get paid millions per year and know people think you are a failure at your job.  That’s embarrassing too.

11 hours ago, usmc0331horn said:

I knew the Shaka hire was terrible at the time. People seriously get blinded by small sample size NCAA runs.

Exactly.

Beard is just a pup.  Why would anyone want to take that risk in their program?

Edited by slorch

7 hours ago, CurlyDumps said:

I don’t think Wake will hire Shaka for the same reason Miami was never hiring Strong - because why would they hire a coach who  is obvious dogshit.  

Ill eat my hat if Shaka’s next job is in a power 5 conference.

Do you even have a hat ?

Sinatra-wearing-signature-hat-sport-coat

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CurlyDumps said:

I don’t think Wake will hire Shaka for the same reason Miami was never hiring Strong - because why would they hire a coach who  is obvious dogshit.  

Ill eat my hat if Shaka’s next job is in a power 5 conference.

Maybe get a bowl of soup with it

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, satyanash said:

Like hell. A&M, Ohio State, and Michigan could and would pony up $12.9 million without a second thought in our situation.

Their current basketball coach is a data point in the opposite direction, they've very specifically waited until his buyout was lower to make a move on him.

18 hours ago, satyanash said:

Like hell. A&M, Ohio State, and Michigan could and would pony up $12.9 million without a second thought in our situation.

Stick to wailing and gnashing your teeth on the recruiting forum. Weeping in fear and jealousy of A&M's prowess makes even less sense in the basketball forum than it does over there. And that's saying something.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

Huh? Weber won the Big 10 in each of his first two years and went 37-2 (15-1) and took the Illini to the NCAA title game in year two. He went 89-16 in his first three years there. All of that is light years behind what Shaka has done. 

Self left him a shitload of talent.  After those kids left, he was under .500 in Big Ten play and only got out of the round of 64 once (and lost in the 2nd round).  With his own recruits, he's actually very similar to Shaka but doesn't recruit at a high enough talent level for guys to leave early, and he's a pretty good developer of players...so when an experienced core comes together, he can get seasons like these every few years.

Edit: I think Weber is a good coach that struggles to recruit, I think Shaka in an okay coach in a league with such good coaching that that gets you exposed.

Edited by VolenteHawk

18 minutes ago, VolenteHawk said:

Self left him a shitload of talent.  After those kids left, he was under .500 in Big Ten play and only got out of the round of 64 once (and lost in the 2nd round).  With his own recruits, he's actually very similar to Shaka but doesn't recruit at a high enough talent level for guys to leave early, and he's a pretty good developer of players...so when an experienced core comes together, he can get seasons like these every few years.

Edit: I think Weber is a good coach that struggles to recruit, I think Shaka in an okay coach in a league with such good coaching that that gets you exposed.

I think your point about Shaka is spot on. He's a decent coach but he just happens to be in a league of superb coaching. As much as we give shit about Weber, he has won the conference twice now, made a deep (if not fluky) run in the tournament last year, and has overall done a good job of developing his players. Scott Drew, another coach everyone loves to shit on, has gotten really good at this coaching thing. He makes much fewer mistakes down in crunch time now and gets the most out of his players. Baylor was picked to finish 9th in the league this year, and they got 4th. This after losing one of their best players. Then you got Lon, Self, Huggins, Dixon, and Beard/Boynton are both young and new but have proven to have some good coaching chops IMO though it is early on both of them. Prohm is kind of the outlier here. Sometimes you think damn, he's really good, and then ISU goes and shits the best for like 5 games in a row and you wonder if Prohm is really good or not.

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

So who besides Lunardi actually has Texas in the tournament? I read an article in The Athletic this morning counting Texas as safely out. I assume a loss to KU, a .500 record and 16 losses would have to have us out, but I know this is the softest bubble in years. 

I use bracketmatrix. Still quite a few have us in but we're dropping quickly. The downward revisions will continue as brackets update for the weekend games.

http://www.bracketmatrix.com/

It's hard to see a .500 team making the tournament as an at-large, no matter how many quality wins we have or how good our SOS is.

Edited by Machinator

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

So who besides Lunardi actually has Texas in the tournament? I read an article in The Athletic this morning counting Texas as safely out. I assume a loss to KU, a .500 record and 16 losses would have to have us out, but I know this is the softest bubble in years. 

Dude we’re definitely in the tournament...

the National Invitation Tournament 

• immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic
  • immamac pinned and featured this topic
  • immamac unpinned this topic