Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

12 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Less excited about Texas basketball than maybe ever

This is still better than Kaiser Bob's teams.

Of course, for basketball, I don't know if there's a lower bar than that anywhere. I was there when Texas played Rice in front of dozens of excited Longhorns basketball fans, a glorious 77-75 defeat that still resounds as one of the worst coached games I have ever seen.

Shaka has laid some stinking duds out there... but I'd still take him over Weltlich.

57 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Of course, for basketball, I don't know if there's a lower bar than that anywhere. I was there when Texas played Rice in front of dozens of excited Longhorns basketball fans, a glorious 77-75 defeat that still resounds as one of the worst coached games I have ever seen.

Shaka has laid some stinking duds out there... but I'd still take him over Weltlich.

Oh damn so based on who you've watched coach the longhorns, Henry David Thoreau is actually your dad?

On 10/15/2019 at 6:02 PM, longhornmatt said:

I haven’t been following recruiting at all, but I see with have no 2020 commits as of yet. The first (and main) national signing day is November 13.

Does Shaka know he’s going to get fired and just blew off recruiting this year?  We also don’t seem to have any commits from other classes.  This is, um, not ideal.

Are we basically just Greg Brown or bust?  

They're unlikely to take more than 2 due to scholarship limits unless somebody unexpected goes pro/transfers, and yes Greg Brown is the big fish. Right now Texas leads for him.

On 10/17/2019 at 10:09 AM, Walden Ponderer said:

Weltlich wasn't a bad coach. He was the wrong coach to follow Abe.

8 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

Bob Weltlich finished his career 35 games below .500 and is almost exclusively known for being hated by his players and his teams' fans. He was a bad coach. 

He came up under Bob Knight. I never met him but I'm guessing he knew the game inside and out. He was probably a pretty smart basketball coach, made a great assistant, but the way he chose to apply those smarts in running a program as the head coach, and the results on the scoreboard, say "bad basketball coach".

I mean it's all relative. There aren't many bad basketball coaches who get all the way to the pinnacle of I-A, so if we want to compare him to someone who only ever coached freshman YMCA ball, he's definitely a superior coach.  

Edited by SwanderedTalent

10 hours ago, realgreggym said:

Weltlich wasn't a bad coach. He was the wrong coach to follow Abe.

9 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

Bob Weltlich finished his career 35 games below .500 and is almost exclusively known for being hated by his players and his teams' fans. He was a bad coach. 

1 hour ago, SwanderedTalent said:

He came up under Bob Knight. I never met him but I'm guessing he knew the game inside and out. He was probably a pretty smart basketball coach, made a great assistant, but the way he chose to apply those smarts in running a program as the head coach, and the results on the scoreboard, say "bad basketball coach".

I mean it's all relative. There aren't many bad basketball coaches who get all the way to the pinnacle of I-A, so if we want to compare him to someone who only ever coached freshman YMCA ball, he's definitely a superior coach.  

Defending Bob Weltlich seems likes the strangest damned hill for anybody to want to die on.

Hell, his career is perfectly summed up by his one NCAA appearance when he was coaching at Florida International:  They only  got there because they ran the table in the TAAC conference. Only true basketball nerds could tell you who the fuck was even in that conference. And the Panthers had an 11-19 record that year.

He was a more successful novelist than he was a basketball coach, and I bet most of y'all didn't even know he'd written a novel. And he ended his career as a middle school teacher -- not coach, mind you, teacher. Because he sucked as a basketball coach.

Third worst day in Texas basketball history was when he was hired. 2nd worst was when Abe was fired. First, of course, was when Wacker went down with that knee injury.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SwanderedTalent said:

He was the wrong coach at the time to follow Abe. If you were around back then you would understand why. 

2 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Defending Bob Weltlich seems likes the strangest damned hill for anybody to want to die on.

Hell, his career is perfectly summed up by his one NCAA appearance when he was coaching at Florida International:  They only  got there because they ran the table in the TAAC conference. Only true basketball nerds could tell you who the fuck was even in that conference. And the Panthers had an 11-19 record that year.

He was a more successful novelist than he was a basketball coach, and I bet most of y'all didn't even know he'd written a novel. And he ended his career as a middle school teacher -- not coach, mind you, teacher. Because he sucked as a basketball coach.

Third worst day in Texas basketball history was when he was hired. 2nd worst was when Abe was fired. First, of course, was when Wacker went down with that knee injury.

If you were around back then you would understand. 

2 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

It was mostly because he was a bad HC who was hated by everyone. 

1 hour ago, Walden Ponderer said:

"Merry Christmas, Texas."

Yeah, we went out and hired a coach famous for being a dickhead. I wonder why it didn't work out?

It didn't work out because he was the wrong coach to follow Abe. 

1 hour ago, Goo Punch said:

Point being we've been the exact opposite of what we were told we would be when we hired Shaka Smart. 

Right, we play at a pace and with a rhythm that connotes the phrase, "...like old people fuck", and it wasn't like we hired Tony Bennett and said "it'll be boring but we'll win all the time"

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Tom Herman in his 3rd year is 5-2 with close losses to top 5 teams and is getting a lot of heat for the losses and a close win against Kansas.  What the fuck is going on with the kid glove treatment of Shaka Smart?  He has been ass horrible and gets little to no pressure.  Matter of fact, that idiot Perrin extended his contract because he was "a great example for the kids."  Someone needs to take the politically correct glasses off and take a look at the empty seats.

• Like 1

On 10/22/2019 at 4:52 PM, Goo Punch said:

Point being we've been the exact opposite of what we were told we would be when we hired Shaka Smart. 

Looking forward to watching another season of Shaka's half court offense predicated on standing around the perimeter looking for the perfectly contested 3 pt shot attempt. Probably why we have recruited so many dead eye shooters. I'm sure it will work out differently this year. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, 2300 Nueces said:

Tom Herman in his 3rd year is 5-2 with close losses to top 5 teams and is getting a lot of heat for the losses and a close win against Kansas.  What the fuck is going on with the kid glove treatment of Shaka Smart?  He has been ass horrible and gets little to no pressure.  Matter of fact, that idiot Perrin extended his contract because he was "a great example for the kids."  Someone needs to take the politically correct glasses off and take a look at the empty seats.

The University of Texas is culturally satisfied with some combination of decent on-field/court results, profitability, and no off-field scandals. Shaka's only problem so far is managing "decent" results. He needs a nice solid 22 wins and first-round NCAA loss this year and then we (not those of us who care, but the royal we of The University of Texas) can hold our heads high. 

Empty seats? Do you think they really care? As long as we can recruit and the program's profitable, empty seats are an afterthought.

34 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

The University of Texas is culturally satisfied with some combination of decent on-field/court results, profitability, and no off-field scandals. Shaka's only problem so far is managing "decent" results. He needs a nice solid 22 wins and first-round NCAA loss this year and then we (not those of us who care, but the royal we of The University of Texas) can hold our heads high. 

Empty seats? Do you think they really care? As long as we can recruit and the program's profitable, empty seats are an afterthought.

The results haven't been decent.  They have been horrible.  Last time I checked, fans drive revenue.  Eventually, no one will be watching on TV and they will get dumped by the networks.  Smart is an embarrassment.  I abhor talking with conference rivals about basketball.  We are a laughing stock.

Edited by 2300 Nueces

39 minutes ago, 2300 Nueces said:

The results haven't been decent.  They have been horrible.  Last time I checked, fans drive revenue.  Eventually, no one will be watching on TV and they will get dumped by the networks.  Smart is an embarrassment.  I abhor talking with conference rivals about basketball.  We are a laughing stock.

Whatever, dude. Shaka brings tha bling.

15948521%5D,sizedata%5B850x600%5D&call=u

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, 2300 Nueces said:

Eventually, no one will be watching on TV and they will get dumped by the networks. 

That will never happen.

As to decent, maybe you missed the point where I said Shaka hadn't managed decent results. No shit. I'm not defending the prick. We've been terrible. But while you and I might want Final Fours, the University has a long track record that indicates "decent on-field/court results, profitability, and no off-field scandals" as someone said are enough for a coach to keep his job.

5 hours ago, 2300 Nueces said:

Texas basketball posted a net profit last year, as it has the last few years. It's remarkably stable in that regard, which suggests even with the Drum half-empty they're still doing fine. The only financial aspect that drives this conversation is the remaining guaranteed money on Shaka's deal, and that gets more palatable to pay off each year if Texas so chooses. But again, it's significantly harder for CDC to fund a basketball pay-out than a football one. Giving Herman $10m to go away could happen in a night, but getting donors to pay a basketball coach $10m to go away is next to impossible here. The biggest money guys just don't care that much about basketball.

1 hour ago, Bitterwhiteguy said:

Texas basketball posted a net profit last year, as it has the last few years. It's remarkably stable in that regard, which suggests even with the Drum half-empty they're still doing fine. The only financial aspect that drives this conversation is the remaining guaranteed money on Shaka's deal, and that gets more palatable to pay off each year if Texas so chooses. But again, it's significantly harder for CDC to fund a basketball pay-out than a football one. Giving Herman $10m to go away could happen in a night, but getting donors to pay a basketball coach $10m to go away is next to impossible here. The biggest money guys just don't care that much about basketball.

I agree and I care less about Longhorn hoops every season.  I haven't seen a Mavericks game (hometown team) in 20 years.  I can't stand Cuban.  Anyway, it looks like their bitterwhiteguy Euros might actually be good.  I may have to tune in.

Hmmm the Mavs have played in 2 finals and won a championship over the past 20 years. You literally chose the most successful timespan of the franchise's history to stop watching them.  Have you considered the fact that maybe you just don't like basketball? 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Like 4

• immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic
  • immamac pinned and featured this topic
  • immamac unpinned this topic