Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

On 10/25/2019 at 12:18 PM, CheesePie said:

if a banner gets hung and no one is there to see it, did it actually happen?

I was contemplating canceling LHN today until I realized that I really want to see the empty FEC opening night.  Will the LHN pan to the seats?  That's the real question.

Edited by 2300 Nueces

i begrudgingly watched it and was glad when it was over. i felt no joy or happiness from winning. this was not a victory. this was sadly/embarrassingly the crowning achievement of the Shaka Smart era. can you imagine being told that back when we hired him? jesus. i would legitimately consider not watching the next four years if i knew how maddeningly poor and frustrating they would be. ugh.

19 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

i would legitimately consider not watching the next four years if i knew how maddeningly poor and frustrating they would be. ugh.

Oh, you'd have considered it, sure.

But then, just like the rest of us poor schmuck sports fans, you'd have watched anyway, because to be a fan is to be a glutton for punishment.

• Like 3

of course we did. went 16-16 with a lottery pick/freak of nature starting at C, then ran through the NIT like we were an NCAAT 4 seed or something while replacing him with the starter kit version of himself. because that makes sense. jesus, this program...

Edited by Goo Punch

A team like ours,  which wasn't a consistently pure knock down shooting squad, simply wasn't going to take full advantage of Hayes' skillset last year.  The spacing and open floor of the NBA will take full advantage of his current skillset.  But without a real back to the basket game,  or even a demonstrable faceup game for that matter,  what exactly was he gonna do by that point in the season that Simms couldn't.  

WE'ER GOING DANCING

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/bracketology/

11 vs 11, taking on Illinois in the play-in, in Jerry Palm's always-baffling preseason Bracketology

but to the point, I don't want to hear any unfair criticism of Young Coach Shaka Smart. it could undermine what looks to be an NCAA TOURNAMENT SEASON

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

WE'ER GOING DANCING

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/bracketology/

11 vs 11, taking on Illinois in the play-in, in Jerry Palm's always-baffling preseason Bracketology

but to the point, I don't want to hear any unfair criticism of Young Coach Shaka Smart. it could undermine what looks to be an NCAA TOURNAMENT SEASON

giphy.gif

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Y'all help me compile a list of hirings since we hired and then extended Shaka.

•Obviously Tennessee hired Rick Barnes and they are thriving

•Louisville hired Chirs Mack and ate thriving despite having previously been mired in scandal 

•Tech hired Chris Beard, they are thriving

•Auburn hired Bruce Pearl, they are thriving 

•Arkansas hired Eric Musselman and are currently #26 in Kenpom with some of the country's best defensive stats

•VCU hired Will Wade and then Mike Rhoades, both of whom are outperforming Shaka

•Florida hired Mike White, they are thriving 

•Houston hired Kelvin Sampson, they are thriving 

•LSU hired Will Wade from VCU, and he's already done more at LSU than Shaka has at Texas

I don't even feel like continuing at this point. This is just depressing.

21 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Y'all help me compile a list of hirings since we hired and then extended Shaka.

•Obviously Tennessee hired Rick Barnes and they are thriving

•Louisville hired Chirs Mack and ate thriving despite having previously been mired in scandal 

•Tech hired Chris Beard, they are thriving

•Auburn hired Bruce Pearl, they are thriving 

•Arkansas hired Eric Musselman and are currently #26 in Kenpom with some of the country's best defensive stats

•VCU hired Will Wade and then Mike Rhoades, both of whom are outperforming Shaka

•Florida hired Mike White, they are thriving 

•Houston hired Kelvin Sampson, they are thriving 

•LSU hired Will Wade from VCU, and he's already done more at LSU than Shaka has at Texas

I don't even feel like continuing at this point. This is just depressing.

Those coaches are all prickly pears and don't play well in the sand box.  They have tempers and are prone to outbursts in public at players.  We can't have that at Texas.

Edited by 2300 Nueces

Just now, HtownHorn said:

Will Wade is also a major cheater.

Slick Willy. A very, very, cold, fish, but he is a good coach. He knows basketball X's and O's.  

I was happy to see him leave VCU.  I don't know that he did any of his paying for players shit there, but there was one very talented kid (a Wade recruit) the new coach Mike Rhoades (final 4 run asst. coach) asked to leave the program. That kid is now playing for a final four team from last season.

Shaka would not have made his final 4 run without those two coaches on his bench.  They are both very good basketball skills guys. Shaka was the glue that held everything together.

That was terrible.

To anyone defending Shaka, please answer this: do you feel Coach Smart gets the most out of his players? Look at the recruiting rankings, look at the potential they show as true freshman, and then weigh that against how they develop and how they play together.

Let's take that exercise one step further: in Shaka's now four-plus seasons at Texas, when can you recall his athletes playing "gestalt" basketball, as in, better than the sum of their parts?

I can only think of once--late last season, during our NIT run, and that was only after playing his usual brand of sloppy, rudderless hoops for the first two games. By the third round, something clicked, and the guys started to play true team hoops on both ends of the floor. All this despite missing their best player and future NBA lottery pick in Jaxson Hayes.

No, we don't have a roster packed with sharpshooters, but there's enough height, talent, and athleticism to compete in the Big 12 and earn NCAA tournament invites.

And yet ...

1 hour ago, Braff Zacklin said:

That was terrible.

To anyone defending Shaka, please answer this: do you feel Coach Smart gets the most out of his players? Look at the recruiting rankings, look at the potential they show as true freshman, and then weigh that against how they develop and how they play together.

Let's take that exercise one step further: in Shaka's now four-plus seasons at Texas, when can you recall his athletes playing "gestalt" basketball, as in, better than the sum of their parts?

I can only think of once--late last season, during our NIT run, and that was only after playing his usual brand of sloppy, rudderless hoops for the first two games. By the third round, something clicked, and the guys started to play true team hoops on both ends of the floor. All this despite missing their best player and future NBA lottery pick in Jaxson Hayes.

No, we don't have a roster packed with sharpshooters, but there's enough height, talent, and athleticism to compete in the Big 12 and earn NCAA tournament invites.

And yet ...

When people from Tech and Bailor laugh at you and your college bball team, that's all that needs to be said.  It's obvious the Shaka defenders don't engage the real world.

It shows you how little of a shit Texas cares about basketball that this man is still coaching. This was embarrassing 2 years ago, and maybe it hasn't gotten any "worse" but the fact that it's gone on this long is so painful. 

I guess it's basketball and it only takes about 2 seasons to turn a program around, and Texas will probably just keep Shaka until Moody opens, but I'm almost surprised a BMD hasn't wrote a blank check yet to say "get this man out of here". 

Almost losing to McNeese State at home. Raise your hand if you can tell me where McNeese State is. It wasn't that long ago that this program went dancing 19/21 years - now it's been just 2 out of the past 4 and this season doesn't look like anything more than a bubble team.

The man is just not equipped to be a big time college basketball coach. Maybe he'd be a nice assistant. Who knows. 

1 hour ago, MAUFRAIS said:

Can’t we just write it off?

All these big athletic programs...they write off everything!  (have some rep) 

Edited by Lobo

• immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic
  • immamac pinned and featured this topic
  • immamac unpinned this topic