Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

We're getting too excited about the A&M game.  Tomorrow night, after the groundbreaking/gravedigging...we have our #2 marquee home game of the non-conference season ticket package---UAB, baby!  They looked respectable at Kentucky on Friday night.  But have lost convincingly to Utah Valley (whatever the fuck that is).  

I'm guessing it's a nailbiter.  

I'll say it- assuming Donovan is off the table, i would love for UVA to have a subpar year and for Texas to hire Tony Bennett. I don't give a damn how low scoring the games are, i like winning 25-30 games every year, winning league titles, and oh yeah final 4's and national titles aren't bad either. i would take Bennett to replace Shaka all day long. he's about as good as we could possibly hope for. 

7 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

I'll say it- assuming Donovan is off the table, i would love for UVA to have a subpar year and for Texas to hire Tony Bennett. I don't give a damn how low scoring the games are, i like winning 25-30 games every year, winning league titles, and oh yeah final 4's and national titles aren't bad either. i would take Bennett to replace Shaka all day long. he's about as good as we could possibly hope for. 

Bennett would never come to Texas. money isn't that big of a deal to him and he plays in the best basketball conference in college.

17 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

I don't know that Bennett would leave Virginia because he just won a title there.  I don't think 1 down year would result in leaving.  But yes, I'm high on the Bennett train. 

He's 66. Immediately after Barnes, I would've jumped at that as he's a proven winner and demonstrated sustained success wherever he's been (at the college level).

But now? No. If we're shooting for the moon, I want a hire who'll be around 15-20 years and provide long-term stability. An institution.

The idea that UVA would be dissatisfied with Bennet or vice versa one year removed from a national championship is laughable. He inherited a 10 win team in 2009 and has since finished 1st in ACC conference standings 4 of the last 6 years.

On 12/6/2019 at 5:49 AM, PilotsError said:

You have no idea what motivates Bennett or how important money is to him. Quit this shit.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/17/why-uva-basketball-coach-tony-bennett-turned-down-a-raise.html

In 2019, University of Virginia men’s basketball coach Tony Bennett led the Cavaliers to their first appearance in the Final Four in 35 years and on to win their first NCAA Championship title in program history.

But when UVA President Jim Ryan and Athletic Director Carla Williams tried to offer Bennett a raise after the win, he rejected it.

“President Ryan and Carla were very gracious in what they offered to me as a potential contract, but I have a very good contract,” said Bennett, in an article published on UVA’s website on Sept. 15. “I have more than enough, and if there are ways that this can help out the athletic department, the other programs and coaches, by not tying up so much [in men’s basketball], that’s my desire.”

“I have more than I need,” he said. “I’m blessed beyond what I deserve.”

The coach also donated $500,000 toward a career-training initiative for current and former UVA men’s basketball players. Rejecting additional compensation “just does not happen in our industry,” said Williams.

Sounds like a surefire candidate for the ole money-whip alright. We have as much of a chance of seeing Bennett coach at Texas as we do with Red Auerbach.

Edited by Blotto
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Js1 said:

Are you off your meds? In the span of one day:

Back up the brinks for Donovan!

BENNETT WILL COME HERE WHEN HE HAS A DOWN YEAR!

BEILEN!!1!!!

??? yeah i would take any of the three, and there's nothing remotely unusual about listing the coaches we'd like to replace Shaka. but don't let that stop you from freaking out over absolutely nothing. 

On 12/6/2019 at 8:25 AM, Pancho said:

I don't know that Bennett would leave Virginia because he just won a title there.  I don't think 1 down year would result in leaving.  But yes, I'm high on the Bennett train. 

Csb; I have an autographed photo with Dick, Tony, and I from back in his early Wazzu days.  A few friends and I went to every home game and a lot of the road games and they personally wanted to thank our dedication to supporting the team as they were trying to build it up.   

edit to add: he’s not leaving UVA, but if Texas hired him I’d fly to Austin just to be at the airport for the arrival.  

Edited by SDG

While I have long believed that Shaka is not the answer, I will admit to holding out  hope that this year's team could be a slight improvement over last year. I now realize how delusional that idea was. Unless we hit 40%+ from deep, we are proper fucked on offense....like always. 6 wins in conference seems like a wet dream at this point.

See, but with Shaka...he coaches the little things that don't necessarily show up in the Box Score, let alone the Final Score.  

54% from the Free Throw line, 14% from downtown, 32% from the Field.  Out-rebounded, more turnovers, etc.  These are the little things like +/- in hockey. 

Sure we had more blocks than assists today, which I'm told is the rarest achievement a team can do in college hoops.  

I honestly don't know which of our Big 3 sports has less of an identity right now.  I'm gonna say Basketball for the time being, but look forward to Herman and Pearce proving me wrong.  

It's not any one thing we suck at in hoops, it's a little bit of everything.  I'm still shocked though that we'll finish probably 10-3 in this non-conf. slate.  It's insane we're not worse off considering how bad we were losing so some truly awful teams this Autumn.  But yeah, we're gonna be lucky to finish in the Top 8 in this league.  

this team was a total disaster last year unless Febres was hitting 3's at a 60% clip and Hayes was being a monster.

this team was always going to be worse.  Jones/Baker/LIddell/Jones weren't going to make this team better no matter how many people thought it. they are totally fucked on offense because the offense last year was...

Febres 3's and Hayes cleaning up messes.

there is nothing more certain than Shaka Smart either missing the tournament or getting bounced in the first round.

I'm not sure I've ever seen more completely awful bricks from 3 point land than this team has consistently thrown up over the last 3 years.  its not like we go 2-22 but the rim seems like it has a lid on it.  over half our shots barely draw iron.

These kids cant be this awful when they are recruited.  Smart may be the worst coach in any power 5 conference.

My coaching experience consists of leading a group of 6th graders to the league championship 20+ years ago and I’m fairly certain that I could do a better job of coaching offense than Shaka.  Can someone direct me to the go fund me page for the banner,  buyout, or wreath?

I’m a long time lover of Texas hoops and yesterday was about the worst performance I’ve ever seen. The team just looks confused and unsure of itself most of the time and that just has to be the leadership. I’ve tried to be patient with Shaka and wanted him to succeed, but this ain’t working. Next. 

2 hours ago, CowtownHorn said:

I’ve tried to be patient with Shaka and wanted him to succeed

maybe you didn't mean it the way you wrote it, but the way I interpret it, this mindset exemplifies the cultural problem with all of our athletic programs. we want to be nice and supportive and hope for success for the "good men" (and women) who coach us to mediocre results year after year after year. 

We have already been patient with him; this is his fifth fucking year! 

Edited by SwanderedTalent
  • Like 3

• immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic
  • immamac pinned and featured this topic
  • immamac unpinned this topic