Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

3 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Why do the number of projected "W" games not add up to the same number of wins in the "Projected record"?

i actually don't know the answer to that. the w/l that's posted in the schedule can change daily, whereas the "projected record" portion usually doesn't change for a 2-3 game period. 

9 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Why do the number of projected "W" games not add up to the same number of wins in the "Projected record"?

Any game projected as over a 50% win probability gets a W. But the projected record is based on total expected wins. Quick example, let's say a team is facing a 5 game schedule. Their win probability in each game is exactly 60%. That means they would get a "W" next to each game but their projected record is 3-2. (60% times 5 equals 3 expected wins).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ClubWhatever said:

In my opinion, it was hope.

Here's what he and Fenves actually said publicly.

"Shaka has done a terrific job in all facets of building our basketball program," said Men's Athletics Director Mike Perrin. "On the court, despite facing a lot of challenges and adversity in his first year, we showed steady progress and produced a lot of exciting moments. His outstanding recruiting, talented class of newcomers and overall development of our team in the classroom and the community has been exemplary. I'm excited about what Shaka's accomplished and look forward to seeing him lead our program in the years to come."

“We want to send a message,” university president Gregory L. Fenves said. “He is a great coach, an educator, a leader. He’s made such fantastic progress in his first season here. He’s getting national attention. We just want to show him that he’s really important to the University of Texas.”

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

I think they were also trying to compensate for having an interim AD by handing out the extension to show as a sign of stability and progress. 

Steve Patterson fucked us, but a school with the athletic revenue of Texas having an interim AD for that long was also mind-bogglingly stupid. 

Fenves is an idiot.  that quote says it all.

1 hour ago, Fozzz said:

I'll admit I wanted Barnes fired at the time, but man that was a stupid fucking decision.

add steve patterson to the list of idiots as well.  what a complete and total disaster.  can we revoke his degree somehow?

2 hours ago, Fozzz said:

I'll admit I wanted Barnes fired at the time, but man that was a stupid fucking decision.

2 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

firing Barnes wasn't the worst division ever. not having a candidate who we really loved and had properly vetted waiting in the wings was a huge mistake. also, not actually vetting Shaka Smart (because there's no way we actually looked into his record or performance/interviewed him properly based on what we know now) was a pretty colossal fuck up. and then we extended him after one mediocre year where we went 0-2 in the postseason as the favored seed both times. all of those decisions were worse than the decision to fire Rick Barnes, who was facing a real uphill battle to turn his own program back around. 

I appreciate the avid nature in which a group of you guys follow Texas basketball. I readily admit that I am not one of those guys. I do follow it though. I watch most of the games, including last night, and I attend games when circumstances allow. When Barnes had things humming quickly after his arrival, I didn't miss a game and followed things almost as closely as I follow Texas football and the Astros, but that faded during his tenure as things got stale. I was glad when Barnes was fired and I was actually excited about Shaka Smart. I didn't know shit about Smart other than he seemed like a wizard taking VCU to the Final Four. Like I said, I'm a pretty casual fan of CBB, even if I watch it all of the time. Boy, what an absurd contrast my thoughts were then to what I see now. Holy fuck.

It's shocking to me how actually terrible this fucking guy is. I can't even fathom how he's ever put a winning record together. These teams look completely lost on offense. Last night was fucking hilarious in terms of the blatant and committed futility. It looked fucking purposeful. This guy is a complete embarrassment. If he isn't fired by season's end, then the truth we all fear is fully exposed - Texas Athletics does not give one fuck about being elite, or even competent, in anything except making money. Fuck the whole organization if CDC does not get this shit show cleaned up asap. 

The end of the game last night was totally bizarre also. Texas didn't foul in what seemed like a couple pretty obvious foul spots and let OU burn clock. That made it seem like they had basically conceded. They then rolled the ball in bounds as though they were trying to do anything to save clock, then passed aimlessly around the perimeter for 25 seconds, then made a layup to cut it to 10 with 25 seconds left, THEN called a timeout. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Last night was fucking hilarious in terms of the blatant and committed futility. It looked fucking purposeful. 

100% true. ‪Watching Texas basketball last night it was as if Shaka Smart was a guest star on that TV show Practical Jokers. Like someone was in his ear going, "ok, ok, now have them shoot another wild, off balance three with 26 seconds left on the shot clock pfffttt!! do it again. and again! (uproarious laughter in the background)".

8 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

The end of the game last night was totally bizarre also. Texas didn't foul in what seemed like a couple pretty obvious foul spots and let OU burn clock. That made it seem like they had basically conceded. They then rolled the ball in bounds as though they were trying to do anything to save clock, then passed aimlessly around the perimeter for 25 seconds, then made a layup to cut it to 10 with 25 seconds left, THEN called a timeout. 

Reverse psychology, bro

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

It's pretty clear that the players are only operating under a "notion" of what the coaches want.  There's no real incisive direction.  What you saw with the ball rolling was Ramey's pure uncoached thought.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Goo Punch said:

i don't get the reference, but it made me think of this, so i'm posting it:

if any of you haven't seen Comminity you should get on that. Shaka Smart has really Britta'd this basketball program (he's the worst).

Shawshank Redemption

Image result for shawshank redemption brooks was here scene 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

Have you seriously never seen Shawshank Redemption?

that, star wars, LOTR, any super hero movie; hell, i couldn't even tell you the last time i went to a theater. movies just aren't my jam i guess. not like sports and music.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

If he isn't fired by season's end, then the truth we all fear is fully exposed - Texas Athletics does not give one fuck about being elite, or even competent, in anything except making money. Fuck the whole organization if CDC does not get this shit show cleaned up asap. 

cross posting from the OU thread-- I think I'm a little more cynical than you are

11 hours ago, Patron said:

I'd make Beard and Donovan say no.

we're not going to do that

competing for the Final Four in basketball isn't even a nice-to-have around here. it's certainly not a priority or a must-have. 

I think a lot of you have bought into a real myth about Texas athletics, because of the "we're the Joneses" bullshit of the decade of the 2000s. Keeping up with the Joneses is just an idiomatic way of saying keeping up appearances. The Joneses in this idiom aren't the smartest or happiest family on the block (at least not intrinsically so). They're not winners. They just have the nicest looking stuff. 

The myth is that "we're the Joneses" has anything at all to do with winning. It doesn't. It (maybe) has some (casual) correlation, because winning makes more money than losing, but ultimately Being Texas is about appearances. We look like an athletic program that should win a lot, and we make a lot of money doing what we do, which is being the college sports equivalent of the stereotypical Obtuse White Guy in a TV commercial, or maybe a Billy Zabka character from an 80s movie. 

The only way-- and I mean this in literal terms, I mean there is never going to be a hypothetical BMD who decides he wants to see us win a basketball national title and money-whips Tony Bennett to come here, and Chris Beard is not going to tearfully declare he's Coming Home To Restore Texas Basketball, and none of the other fanciful What Ifs are going to happen -- the only way Texas will ever have a coach on the level of Billy Donovan is if we hire him as an up-and-comer from some Dollar Store program and then, like Rick Barnes, he decides to be a lifer here because you can coast for fucking years here once you're embedded. 

Edited by SwanderedTalent
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

that, star wars, LOTR, any super hero movie; hell, i couldn't even tell you the last time i went to a theater. movies just aren't my jam i guess. not like sports and music.

You know you don't have to go to the theater to see "Shawshank Redemption", right?  All you have to do to see it for free is do what I do, get wildly drunk on a Saturday night.  Get up at 10:30a on a Sunday, turn on the TV to any channel, and voila'...there it will be in all its HD splendor.  It's a beautiful movie with the curtains drawn and  the kids at church.

37 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

cross posting from the OU thread-- I think I'm a little more cynical than you are

competing for the Final Four in basketball isn't even a nice-to-have around here. it's certainly not a priority or a must-have. 

I think a lot of you have bought into a real myth about Texas athletics, because of the "we're the Joneses" bullshit of the decade of the 2000s. Keeping up with the Joneses is just an idiomatic way of saying keeping up appearances. The Joneses in this idiom aren't the smartest or happiest family on the block (at least not intrinsically so). They're not winners. They just have the nicest looking stuff. 

The myth is that "we're the Joneses" has anything at all to do with winning. It doesn't. It (maybe) has some (casual) correlation, because winning makes more money than losing, but ultimately Being Texas is about appearances. We look like an athletic program that should win a lot, and we make a lot of money doing what we do, which is being the college sports equivalent of the stereotypical Obtuse White Guy in a TV commercial, or maybe a Billy Zabka character from an 80s movie. 

The only way-- and I mean this in literal terms, I mean there is never going to be a hypothetical BMD who decides he wants to see us win a basketball national title and money-whips Tony Bennett to come here, and Chris Beard is not going to tearfully declare he's Coming Home To Restore Texas Basketball, and none of the other fanciful What Ifs are going to happen -- the only way Texas will ever have a coach on the level of Billy Donovan is if we hire him as an up-and-comer from some Dollar Store program and then, like Rick Barnes, he decides to be a lifer here because you can coast for fucking years here once you're embedded. 

Before I entertain the possibility of Beard at Texas, somebody is going to have to answer at least three questions:

1) Why would he leave a school/fanbase who treats him like a god, shows up for his games better than Texas fans do, will pay him as much as Texas will, will allow him to hire assistants that will never pass Texas compliance, and is building him everything he asks for? This is probably like 4 questions in one, but whatever.

2) Why would he leave a town with which he has more history (a decade as an assistant coach + his current run) than Austin (undergrad and GA years, the last of which happened a literal quarter-century ago)?

3) Why would he leave a place where he bought out his own UNLV contract to come to after 19 days?! This is something I have never before heard of a head coach doing.

Until somebody can sufficiently explain those three points - plus who is paying for his assistants' buyouts on top of that $6m - I'm not considering him available. The dude legit loves that weird-ass West Texas town and they love him.

1 hour ago, Fozzz said:

The ending of the game was eerie.  I don't think Shaka is trying to lose but he probably knows he's done and doesn't give a shit.

I think everyone - players, coaches, fans - knows its over.  At the end of the game, you could tell the players had just given up.  I feel bad for them.  They deserve much better coaching.  

in the vein of hiring an up-and-comer (although not quite from a dollar store program), i wouldn't mind taking a look at Wojo who is currently at Marquette. wouldn't be a splash hire, but if we're going to take an up-and-comer then i like taking one who is a Coach K disciple with actual D-1 experience. he's turned around Marquette pretty nicely and I think he could definitely right the ship at Texas. 

8 minutes ago, MoJames said:

Most of the candidates in 2015 appear to be obtainable

Greg Marshall at Wichita St still

Archie Miller now at Indiana and went 19-16 last year

Chris Mack is now at Utah

Buzz Williams is now at Texas A&M

Mack is at Louisville, and he’s doing very well there. He’s not attainable. 

1 hour ago, SwanderedTalent said:

I agree about the whole "Joneses" thing. But is it really too much to ask that a school with the resources of Texas have a basketball team that's simply watchable?

That's where my bar is these days. Forget NCAA titles, Big 12 titles, any higher aspirations, really. I'd just like to watch a basketball team that doesn't have me pondering whether I'm more bored or more nauseous. Boredom and nausea are not a good combination, unless, apparently, you're Shaka. He seems to thrive on it.    

9 minutes ago, MoJames said:

Most of the candidates in 2015 appear to be obtainable

Greg Marshall at Wichita St still

Archie Miller now at Indiana and went 19-16 last year

Chris Mack is now at Utah

Buzz Williams is now at Texas A&M

Archie Miller's contract is like Shaka's, Texas isn't paying off the remainder of two guaranteed deals.

Greg Marshall is still getting made whole by literal billionaires in the Koch brothers, so good luck outbidding that.

42 minutes ago, Bitterwhiteguy said:

Before I entertain the possibility of Beard at Texas, somebody is going to have to answer at least three questions:

1) Why would he leave a school/fanbase who treats him like a god, shows up for his games better than Texas fans do, will pay him as much as Texas will, will allow him to hire assistants that will never pass Texas compliance, and is building him everything he asks for? This is probably like 4 questions in one, but whatever.

2) Why would he leave a town with which he has more history (a decade as an assistant coach + his current run) than Austin (undergrad and GA years, the last of which happened a literal quarter-century ago)?

3) Why would he leave a place where he bought out his own UNLV contract to come to after 19 days?! This is something I have never before heard of a head coach doing.

Until somebody can sufficiently explain those three points - plus who is paying for his assistants' buyouts on top of that $6m - I'm not considering him available. The dude legit loves that weird-ass West Texas town and they love him.

Maybe we should really embrace the Silicon Hills ethos and give him an equity stake in the University, like 1% of the PUF

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Bitterwhiteguy said:

Why would he leave Lubbock for Austin? Is that what you're asking? 

3 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Texas fans: I don’t think this program can fall any lower.

Shaka Smart: Shaka.gif

It looks like he’s diving for a loose contract 

and serious question—-what is the process for a team getting passed over by the NIT and ending up in the CBI?   I’d love to see CDC take the $50k entry fee out of Shaka’s buyout.  

Edited by Lobo

33 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

why are you guys talking about the NCAAs, we really need to get back to the NIT to defend our championship there

It would be thematically appropriate for Shaka to lead this team to a second-straight NIT title, then hug his players goodbye and board the 2 train to take over Fordham in the A10.

I thought it was the 4/green that took you to mid-Bronx from MSG?  Either way, I like your plan.  

But I think it's CBI for Texas.  And I think we decline the invitation because "we don't have the $50,000"  Which is bullshit, but it's declined as a stop-gap to quietly find a quick replacement for Shaka.  I think we are looking at 17-15 in the regular season plus an early knockout in the conference tourney.  I guess NIT is still possible though.  But I'd guess we decline that as well.  

• immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic
  • immamac pinned and featured this topic
  • immamac unpinned this topic