Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

7 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

What am I missing here?  Is this not showing that KenPom has us at 4-14 in conference?

EDIT:  sorry, I see Huck clarified that the projected record has more nuance than the raw W/L expectations per game

Edited by jimmyjazz

4 hours ago, Bitterwhiteguy said:

1) Why would he leave a school/fanbase who treats him like a god, shows up for his games better than Texas fans do, will pay him as much as Texas will, will allow him to hire assistants that will never pass Texas compliance, and is building him everything he asks for? This is probably like 4 questions in one, but whatever.

I am confused by this statement.  What assistants at Tech wouldn't pass Texas compliance, and for what reason(s)?

8 hours ago, Bitterwhiteguy said:

It's not a buyout per se, it's paying off the remainder of a fully-guaranteed contract. He's owed about $10.5m at the end of this season, so say about $12.2m right now.

19/20 3,300,000
20/21 3,400,000
21/22 3,500,000
22/23 3,600,000

Jesus Christ that’s horribad. Thanks Stevie P! Great AD hire that was. 

38 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Jesus Christ that’s horribad. Thanks Stevie P! Great AD hire that was. 

Perrin and Fenves extended the contract and made it guaranteed money.  It was a giant middle finger to Texas fans for wanting a winner.  The Moody Center is going to be empty for some time.  This won't be turned around over night.

Edited by 2300 Nueces

3 hours ago, Uncle Nate said:

I am confused by this statement.  What assistants at Tech wouldn't pass Texas compliance, and for what reason(s)?

This is code language for, "yelling at players when they deserve it", especially in public.  We just couldn't have that.  The snowflakes would melt.  I would be willing to wager that yelling at a player in public is grounds for termination without payment.  It's probably more important that there is no screaming in the locker room than the seats be 1/3 full.

Edited by 2300 Nueces
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

What am I missing here?  Is this not showing that KenPom has us at 4-14 in conference?

EDIT:  sorry, I see Huck clarified that the projected record has more nuance than the raw W/L expectations per game

I think what we are missing is laughing at Brian Davis for taking time out of his day to mention that the computers didn't like Texas getting rolled by OU in its own gym.

who the fuck cares about how computers view this team? they suck, they won't make the tournament and may not get a coveted NIT bid either.

15 hours ago, Uncle Nate said:

There was a point Shaka was interested in bringing Ulric Maligi on board and compliance said no, too many red flags. He was on the A&M staff with Stansbury, if that paints a picture.

1 hour ago, Goo Punch said:

so then what's the scoop on him? why is he so toxic?

I found this article from when he left SMU, not sure how this would make him untouchable for Texas.

https://www.espn.com/dallas/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12180575/college-sports-informs-smu-mustangs-basketball-program-allegations-academic-improprieties

Sources told ESPN that assistant coach Ulric Maligi's involvement with Frazier before the player enrolled in SMU has been under investigation. The school announced Tuesday that Maligi has taken a leave of absence for personal reasons.

13 minutes ago, Dirk X West said:

They killed on the recruiting front last year as well.

Outside of Jahmi'us Ramsey they didn't recruit multiple guys near the level of the incoming class.  And Ramsey was a guy who shot up the rankings after Tech started recruiting him hard.  Beard is not only a great coach and talent developer,  but he can identify diamonds in the rough like nobody's business. Two of the 3 guys they have coming in are elite players on the level of Ramsey. And I wouldn't be surprised to find out that the 3rd dude is a surprise talent in the mold of Zhaire and Culver.  

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

3 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Outside of Jahmi'us Ramsey they didn't recruit multiple guys near the level of the incoming class.  And Ramsey was a guy who shot up the rankings after Tech started recruiting him hard.  Beard is not only a great coach and talent developer,  but he can identify diamonds in the rough like nobody's business. Two of the 3 guys they have coming in are elite players on the level of Ramsey. And I wouldn't be surprised to find out that the 3rd dude is a surprise talent in the mold of Zhaire and Culver.  

Because this coming class is better doesn't mean the previous class wasn't outstanding.  I'm not up all the star ratings and everything, but I'm pretty sure it was Tech's best class ever when they wrapped it up.  That qualifies as "killing it" for my money.  In fact, just landing Ramsey alone was "killing it".  You look can just at a guy like Terrance Shannon.  He's just one the guys on this team, but would stand out as one of the most talented players we've ever had in any past era of Tech basketball.

Probably more to the point, though, is to say that this year's recruiting is a logical development that's built on our previous successes on the court and in recruiting, not some suspicious jump into elite recruiting that makes you think Beard has started cheating.

8 minutes ago, Dirk X West said:

Because this coming class is better doesn't mean the previous class wasn't outstanding.  I'm not up all the star ratings and everything, but I'm pretty sure it was Tech's best class ever when they wrapped it up.  That qualifies as "killing it" for my money.  In fact, just landing Ramsey alone was "killing it".  You look can just at a guy like Terrance Shannon.  He's just one the guys on this team, but would stand out as one of the most talented players we've ever had in any past era of Tech basketball.

Probably more to the point, though, is to say that this year's recruiting is a logical development that's built on our previous successes on the court and in recruiting, not some suspicious jump into elite recruiting that makes you think Beard has started cheating.

No doubt.  But in the context of the conversation that was taking place when I made my initial post Tech is recruiting like they never have before. Obviously playing in an elite 8 two years ago and doubling it up with a championship round is a major part of this,  but the conversation regarding Mpi(sp?) may be a part of it as well.

We didn’t make the tournament with fucking Jarrett Allen, Andrew Jones with James Banks on the bench while Roach and Davis launch up wanna be Curry 3’s. Fucking absurd. We should’ve dominated the paint that year with Roach driving the lane and Jones running the offense giving open looks to guys like Davis and Young but nope. We went 11-22 instead. Fucking Christ, Shaka

Man it’s sad watch fucking Baylor be better at Texas in pretty much everything right now and I can’t stand Scott drew but what he said after beating Kansas today was “great coaches adapt to their rosters talents and that’s what we did with this roster”. He a great coach and he’s at Baylor. Yet here we are double and tripling down with Shaka and Herman. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Henry Hill said:

Greg Brown lives down the street from the drum and we’re going to miss out on him. Thanks, Shaka.

fuck off GIF

I’ve found it difficult to watch our basketball team the last several years because frankly what we call offensive is a disgusting embarrassment to the sport. That said I follow a lot of the big name kids just to know them once they hit the league. I had always assumed Brown was a lock for Texas but are we really gonna miss on him?

2 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Man it’s sad watch fucking Baylor be better at Texas in pretty much everything right now and I can’t stand Scott drew but what he said after beating Kansas today was “great coaches adapt to their rosters talents and that’s what we did with this roster”. He a great coach and he’s at Baylor. Yet here we are double and tripling down with Shaka and Herman. 

Herman is an entirely different stratosphere than Shaka. Herman had the equivalent of an elite 8 run a year ago. Shaka hasnt even won a tournament game. The Shaka experiment failed and extending him was the dumbest fucking move in the history of this program. The dude is an incompetent moron. Im done until he is gone.   

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

I’ve found it difficult to watch our basketball team the last several years because frankly what we call offensive is a disgusting embarrassment to the sport. That said I follow a lot of the big name kids just to know them once they hit the league. I had always assumed Brown was a lock for Texas but are we really gonna miss on him?

the latest is that Memphis is in the lead for him, and he had a visit to UK today which isn't going to help. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Herman is an entirely different stratosphere than Shaka. Herman had the equivalent of an elite 8 run a year ago. Shaka hasnt even won a tournament game. The Shaka experiment failed and extending him was the dumbest fucking move in the history of this program. The dude is an incompetent moron. Im done until he is gone.   

WTF? An elite 8 run a year ago? Geez, Herman lost to Maryland in 2018.

9 minutes ago, Royal With Cheese said:

That wasnt the point. We won the Sugar bowl, got to the big 12 championship and finished in the top 10. A feat that no Shaka coached team can claim. Hell, Shaka hasnt even had a team finish in the top 25. Dude is a fraud. I want his ass fired yesterday. He doesnt deserve to swindle another cent from this university. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Royal With Cheese said:

we won the Sugar Bowl against Georgia and finished the season ranked 9th. that's definitely the football equivalent of an Elite 8 run. you football fans sure do love to take anything/everything negative and blow it bombastically out of proportion. 

Edited by Goo Punch

22 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

we won the Sugar Bowl against Georgia and finished the season ranked 9th. that's definitely the football equivalent of an Elite 8 run. you football fans sure do love to take anything/everything negative and blow it bombastically out of proportion. 

Yep. The more accurate appropriate comparison would be Shaka and Charlie Strong

On 1/11/2020 at 9:34 PM, The_Great_Hornsby said:

So you're saying you're not a fan of Shaka?

• Haha 1

On 1/11/2020 at 6:41 PM, Rockethorn1978 said:

Man it’s sad watch fucking Baylor be better at Texas in pretty much everything right now

What's sadder, and what should cause existential sports dread in every UT fan, is that we've already been taught this lesson. Wow, if we're off our game and our programs are run by simpletons, even Baylor can run rings around us. We should have swallowed hard and said "never again!" and rebuilt our athletic programs from the ground up the first time it happened.

But we didn't. And in the ensuing years, Baylor's football program crashed, cratered, and rebuilt to the point it could surpass us again. Tech's basketball program did likewise under Pat Knight up to Chris Beard. We just spent an entire decade playing .500 football, basketball, and baseball*. An entire decade! While we watch Tech make the Final Four and Baylor produce a team that should contend for it, we're having to argue about whether we think our coach will be fired this year, or next, or if he can even be fired at all in the near-term due to cost. 

This is why I keep hammering on this point: we're fools for caring, because we can't and don't exert any influence, and the people who need to be influenced don't care as long as the money stays good. Chris Del Conte can prove me wrong by accomplishing something other than fundraising and raising buildings. 

* close enough, don't be pedantic

• Like 2

In the very rare instances over the years where Shaka has publicly addressed his team's shortcomings, he has always put 100% of the blame on his players, and his solution has always been for them to do some soul searching. he's never once taken even an ounce of responsibility for the fact that the players on the team change, the recruiting classes are outstanding, and yet the atrocious results and painfully ugly basketball remains the same. he takes no responsibility, and he offers no real solutions. fuck this guy, and fuck the clowns who hired and then extended him. 

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 2

and FTR, he pushed Jordan Barnett out the door and he made life hell for Yancy and Holland during his first year here. really went out of his way to make them miserable. i alluded to this years ago but didn't want to get into it because it's really tough to do so without posting privileged information, but you're just gonna have to take my word for it- dude was a real piece of shit to Barnes' players who he didn't want/who would soon be leaving. i'm talking like, if one of them was your son you might drive down to Austin and physically fight Shaka Smart. fuck him and everything he pretends to stand for.

Edited by Goo Punch

• immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic
  • immamac pinned and featured this topic
  • immamac unpinned this topic