Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

3 hours ago, dcar00 said:

I wish CDC would fire one of Aston or Smart mid year and maybe put some of these shitty coaches in our athletic department that things are going to be different. 

Feb 3rd beat down for Shaka on National Television should be Shakalaka's final game coaching for Texas!!  😁 

3 hours ago, dcar00 said:

I wish CDC would fire one of Aston or Smart mid year and maybe put some of these shitty coaches in our athletic department that things are going to be different. 

Yea right, I’m starting to think CDC is here to raise money, have fun on bevo Blvd and that’s it. It’s not hard to make game day at DKR fun so I’m not impressed by any of that. So he corrected Patterson’s fuck up! Big deal! Go hire championship coaches and stop letting shit stay on and continue to fuck everything up.

10 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Yea right, I’m starting to think CDC is here to raise money, have fun on bevo Blvd and that’s it. It’s not hard to make game day at DKR fun so I’m not impressed by any of that. So he corrected Patterson’s fuck up! Big deal! Go hire championship coaches and stop letting shit stay on and continue to fuck everything up.

all of that other shit is secondary to winning

I don't even accept that it's a precursor, but I'll sit quietly seething to wait and see if that's borne out with some success on the field. If it isn't, then hey, what a fucking shock, Texas athletics has yet another glad-handing snake-oil salesman in charge of something that should be measured in wins and championships and instead happily settles for leading the way in off-field shit that may or may not benefit the fans. 

Chris Del Conte can be happy with a cash-rich, profitable athletics program that doesn't generate any negative headlines. I can't be happy with it if football, men's basketball,* and baseball aren't winning their conference and competing for national titles.  

Yay.

* I will strangle the first motherfucker that uses success in women's basketball (if we ever have it again) to claim the athletic department is doing something right. We have three sports that matter. 

Edited by SwanderedTalent

totally indicative of where our program currently is: our official texasmbb social media is treating our 5-star, HS All American freshman like he's a fifth year walk-on, because that's just where we are now. fucking celebrating that this dude finally made a basket, and on an awful shot no less.

three slides of Baker, his teammates, and even fans smiling and laughing like he's Yair Harari. fucking joke.

I'm thinking they wait to fire Shaka until we are ready to move into the new arena. New digs, new coach. Imagine a new coach dropping a Shaka-like turd heading into christening the new place? One more year of Shaka lowering the bar.

25 minutes ago, Deej said:

I'm thinking they wait to fire Shaka until we are ready to move into the new arena. New digs, new coach. Imagine a new coach dropping a Shaka-like turd heading into christening the new place? One more year of Shaka lowering the bar.

Well, you risk having an empty Moody Center for the opening if you wait that long.  Prolly going to be an empty open regardless.  They are going to have to have a coach K type coach to get it full for opening night.   Anything less and it's going to be 3-5 years b4 it is sold out and that's being optimistic.

Edited by 2300 Nueces

29 minutes ago, Deej said:

he's going to be fired this April. 

49 minutes ago, Deej said:

I don't see any way that he survives this season.

On 1/14/2020 at 8:02 PM, Deej said:

You guys have a lot of confidence in an athletics department that doesn't seem to have any balls.

There’s no mystery here, the balls are not present. The ovaries however are intact and producing loads of estrogen. Style over substance. Cash over wins. It’s a pattern.

Edited by El Squared

Beating KSU and Okie St didn't mean much, those are the two worst teams in the Big 12. Baylor bitch slapped Shaka despite playing their worst game of the season. I'll be genuinely surprised if Texas wins 8 conference games.

21 minutes ago, GotThatFire said:

How long has this dude been the coach here? I legit can’t remember. It’s all a blur. 

lady gaga mtv vmas GIF

Maybe that's Shaka's plan---play such a dreary, unwatchable brand of basketball that, after a while, the powers-that-be can't even bring themselves to think about our men's basketball team.

The extensions will just roll out on auto pilot.

5 hours ago, GotThatFire said:

How long has this dude been the coach here? I legit can’t remember. It’s all a blur. 

lady gaga mtv vmas GIF

It might be a blur because, as one of the announcers said in the 2nd half:

"Shaka Smart is one of the great motivators in college basketball."

🙄

9 hours ago, Napoleon said:

It might be a blur because, as one of the announcers said in the 2nd half:

"Shaka Smart is one of the great motivators in college basketball."

🙄

ESPN overhyping one of our coaches again.   Go figure.

Thank goodness Herbstreet doesn't do a basketball gig or he'd be calling our fanbase a dumpster fire or something like that for suggesting we should accept mediocrity.  

49 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Thank goodness Herbstreet doesn't do a basketball gig or he'd be calling our fanbase a dumpster fire or something like that for suggesting we should accept mediocrity.  

ESPN is more into PC optics than results.

Edited by Horn80
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Yeah, the commentators going over the top in support of Shaka Smart being a “great coach” and running down the players was nauseating. This fucking fraud is a piece of shit as a coach. 

• Like 2

On 1/9/2020 at 10:40 AM, dcar00 said:

Fenves is an idiot.  that quote says it all.

I don't think Fenves is all that interested in athletics.  I'm pretty sure he delegates all of that to the AD, as any university president probably should.

I think having an interim AD forced Fenves' involvement to a greater degree than would otherwise be seen.  He's been virtually silent on matters athletic since CDC came aboard.

So, that quote is just a bunch of happy crappy probably written for him by some athletic department minion to make Perrin look like less of an "empty suit."  I put that in quotes because I don't think Perrin is actually an empty suit in his usual capacities.  He was out of his depth as an AD, of course.

36 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I don't think Fenves is all that interested in athletics.  I'm pretty sure he delegates all of that to the AD, as any university president probably should.

I think having an interim AD forced Fenves' involvement to a greater degree than would otherwise be seen.  He's been virtually silent on matters athletic since CDC came aboard.

So, that quote is just a bunch of happy crappy probably written for him by some athletic department minion to make Perrin look like less of an "empty suit."  I put that in quotes because I don't think Perrin is actually an empty suit in his usual capacities.  He was out of his depth as an AD, of course.

Fenves getting on a plane with Perrin and Strong to go hire the Tulsa guy was embarrassing especially considering the abysmal results.  

1 minute ago, Horn80 said:

Fenves getting on a plane with Perrin and Strong to go hire the Tulsa guy was embarrassing especially considering the abysmal results.  

And that, I believe, was a product of an interim AD following a disastrous hire at AD and HFC.

Not Fenves' preferred capacity, nor should it have ever been.  Powers' involvement with the athletic department, really only football, is/was unprecedented as far as I can tell and did not improve things..

11 minutes ago, Horn80 said:

That really was.  At the time, I liked his "let's do whatever to get this shit done" to salvage Strong's career attitude.  But almost immediately afterwards, it became a very awkward anecdote about our University.  Reminds me of Dean Gilligan being used to recruit a golfer for our team, which he considered to be beneath his station at the time. 

On 1/15/2020 at 3:02 PM, MoJames said:

Is anyone actually watching the games?

tenor.gif?itemid=5139282

Bucky and Erin said there had to be less than 7,000 in attendance against Kansas.

But I wouldn't know, because I don't actually watch the games. 

I quit in January of 2018 after we blew a 62-50 lead over Okie State with 6 minutes to go and managed to lose 64-65.  I have never seen more pathetic basketball in my life, and I chose to discontinue watching for the sake of my health and my tv's health. 

I keep hoping for the day that this thread is no longer needed.

I'd be surprised if there were 7,000 there.  I do know that there was a pretty large continent of KU fans.  They were sitting all around us and made almost as much noise as the Longhorns crowd.  I never for a second thought we were actually going to win the game, even when we were up 8, but at least they played competitively.  I really wasn't expecting that.

• immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic
  • immamac pinned and featured this topic
  • immamac unpinned this topic