Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

On 1/19/2020 at 10:07 AM, closetojumping said:

Yeah, the commentators going over the top in support of Shaka Smart being a “great coach” and running down the players was nauseating. This fucking fraud is a piece of shit as a coach. 

it was almost humorous listening to Fran run down players and fans and not even mentioning the shitty coach Shaka is.  his shitty coaching is what is causing the fan and player disinterest.  Once you are in the coaching franternity I guess you are protected.  one fucking magical "we can't miss" run and the guy is untouchable apparently.

2 hours ago, jinx said:

Bucky and Erin said there had to be less than 7,000 in attendance against Kansas.

The sad thing is, I am sure we sold a lot more than 7,000 tickets

you would think a more-than-half-empty arena for Kansas-- basically the best game we get in Austin every year-- would be a serious wakeup call for CDC, but... we sold a bunch of tickets. Who cares if we won or anyone was actually AT the game? The money still came a-rollin' in. We didn't get humiliated on the scoreboard. No brawls, etc. 

All in all, I think it's a win for the athletic department. 

• Like 1

yeah the box score says attendance was just under 12,000-- if that's based on turnstiles, then Bucky and Erin are (gasp) wrong about something.

If it's based on ticket sales, then I (gasp) am right about something. Our fan base has become so apathetic thanks to the tail end of the Rick Barnes era and every single minute of the Shaka Smart era that they won't even turn out for a top-5 Kansas team.

58 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

Our fan base has become so apathetic thanks to the tail end of the Rick Barnes era and every single minute of the Shaka Smart era that they won't even turn out for a top-5 Kansas team.

It's not "thanks to the end of the Rick Barnes era"--the fan base has always been apathetic towards basketball. Show me a Texas Longhorn sports fan and I'll show you a guy who is a whiz about the game of college football and knows jack-dick about the sport of college basketball.

Look no further than surlyhorns. There are more posts on here about the NBA than about our team, on a LONGHORNS forum.

Edited by Camelback80
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, SwanderedTalent said:

you would think a more-than-half-empty arena for Kansas-- basically the best game we get in Austin every year-- would be a serious wakeup call for CDC, but... we sold a bunch of tickets. Who cares if we won or anyone was actually AT the game? The money still came a-rollin' in. We didn't get humiliated on the scoreboard. No brawls, etc. 

As the percentage of revenue coming from TV deals becomes larger, the sight of a half-empty arena becomes less important to the people running the business of Texas sports. To wit, I talked to Steve Ross about this recently and he noted that basketball revenue has been basically flat the last few years regardless of on-court results. There wasn't a massive dip in revenue during the 11-win season which might have sent a bigger message to the AD 15-20 years ago. The fact that more and more seats/suites are being bought by businesses looking to entertain clients than fans and it tends to stabilize the revenue stream. This is a bigger thing in the pro ranks, but with the lack of top-level pro teams in Austin it probably plays a bigger role than one might otherwise expect.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong that things are this way, it's just the modern-day sports revenue situation in more and more sports. MLB seems like another place where this manifests, where a team like Tampa Bay can make money despite having such fan apathy nobody has even updated their Wikipedia history page to include the last 5 seasons. Football is probably the outlier to this situation, though if ESPN & CBS continue to pour money into those deals it might fall in line one day as well.

2 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

as long as you can write off ticket costs as a business expense tickets will get sold.  

1 hour ago, Bitterwhiteguy said:

As the percentage of revenue coming from TV deals becomes larger, the sight of a half-empty arena becomes less important to the people running the business of Texas sports. To wit, I talked to Steve Ross about this recently and he noted that basketball revenue has been basically flat the last few years regardless of on-court results. There wasn't a massive dip in revenue during the 11-win season which might have sent a bigger message to the AD 15-20 years ago. The fact that more and more seats/suites are being bought by businesses looking to entertain clients than fans and it tends to stabilize the revenue stream. This is a bigger thing in the pro ranks, but with the lack of top-level pro teams in Austin it probably plays a bigger role than one might otherwise expect.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong that things are this way, it's just the modern-day sports revenue situation in more and more sports. MLB seems like another place where this manifests, where a team like Tampa Bay can make money despite having such fan apathy nobody has even updated their Wikipedia history page to include the last 5 seasons. Football is probably the outlier to this situation, though if ESPN & CBS continue to pour money into those deals it might fall in line one day as well.

This is a good post and I appreciate the further insight, but it could have used the phrase "that's right" at the start of it. It sounds like you're well-ackshally'ing me even though we are making the same point. Basketball needs to generate a certain minimum threshold of revenue. As long as that threshold is met, results on the court are at best a secondary concern. 

It's overly pessimistic to say "that's our MO around here" but darkly satisfying to use that to explain why football only has one national title and fewer than ten conference championships over the past 40 years. 

Shaka doesn’t just suck at in game adjustments and any type of offensive game planning but I’ve been saying for years he doesn’t recruit basketball kids with IQ or any that can fucking shoot, he recruits athletes with raw basketball skills that never develop because he blows ass. Whoever the new coach is I hope he recruits shooters and even the occasional euro kid that’s 6’10 and shoot. 

DIdn't even bother to tune in tonight, but looking at the online box score.  I see we managed 20 points in the first half.  That's gotta be something.  A real critical piece to the formula for winning on the road in the Big XII is to break 15.  That's just X's and O's, right there.  Completely worth the 3.5mm salary this year when you include the deferred comp portion and in-kind benefits like comped auto leases and club memberships.  

We are currently shooting 82% from the free-throw line which is fucking insane for a Smart coached team.  So I'm totally cool with an extension given to him after the next TV timeout on the floor.  

You can't defend your NIT championship in the Big Dance, baby!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Lobo

We're about to get doubled up in league play.  That's hard in college hoops, isn't it?  

Can we go back in the thread where everybody was circle-jerking over a couple of meaningless assistant coach hires this past summer?  The fuck were some y'all so excited about?  

We stayed within 40.  I think at least a moderate pay raise is in order, here.  We shot 75% from the line, so that's gotta count for something.  

Serious question for you hoops nerds.......how the fuck do you commit three times as many fouls as you have assists?  Is that even fucking possible?  

and we got out-rebounded 50-19.  50-19.  Again, you actually have to try to coach that kind of bullshit.  You can accidentally get double-upped on rebounds, but you gotta fucking coach all week to get beat on the boards 50-19.  That's fucking skillz.  That's HAVOC!  

At this point, it's really hard to give a shit about UT basketball, win or lose.  I hate being a fairweather fan, but it's hard to care about any UT sport, except football.  I'll never NOT give a shit about football, although 10 years in the desert had made losses much easier to accept.  Used to get a nervous stomach before every game, not so much anymore.  Losses are no longer unexpected.  

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

How ever the fuck did a team coached by this guy make a 4 game run in the dance?   I mean his signature trait as a coach is that his teams are weak.  

According to Fran Fraschilla  they don’t practice shooting at practice, which is probably why they are known as a horrible shooting team also.

• immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic
  • immamac pinned and featured this topic
  • immamac unpinned this topic