Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

2 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

How ever the fuck did a team coached by this guy make a 4 game run in the dance?   I mean his signature trait as a coach is that his teams are weak.  

Shaka had a real good assistant coach who left ~Tennessee-Chattanooga (or something) the year before we snagged Skaka.

My guess is that the assistant was the mastermind behind the Final four run. 

3 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

When was the last time we fired a HC, of any mens sport, mid season?

3 hours ago, dcar00 said:

never.

1 hour ago, JustBecause said:

There is always a FIRST time. 

Michael Center just last year. 

You might say that was different because of a scandal. I would ask what exactly you would call our play on the basketball court if not scandalous.

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

It's about as close to a guarantee as is possible.  Tom Penders and Rick Barnes had their teams playing FAR better basketball.  Are you telling me we can't at least find a Tom Penders?

Lol, changing coaches is NO guarantee of better success for this program. That's a FACT. You can argue it improves the chances if you want but it ain't no guarantee and far from it. Penders was crap, dude. He lucked in to Travis Mays, Blanks, Wright and company and had 1 good year. Barnes got to play in an era of the Big12 when it was full of weak teams. We swept Baylor like 10 years in a row in the 2000's, not because of Barnes's brilliance, because Baylor was absolute crap. People like you wanna rake Shaka over the coals after every Big12 loss but you neglect to comprehend the fact that the Big12 Shaka has played in has been an insanely difficult conference and nothing like the one Rick played in, or the pathetic SWC that Penders played in. West Virginia is the #6 team in the country according to Pomeroy. This shit ain't easy, folks.

Edited by Camelback80
  • Fuck You 8

16 minutes ago, Camelback80 said:

Lol, changing coaches is NO guarantee of better success for this program. That's a FACT. You can argue it improves the chances if you want but it ain't no guarantee and far from it. Penders was crap, dude. He lucked in to Travis Mays, Blanks, Wright and company and had 1 good year. Barnes got to play in an era of the Big12 when it was full of weak teams. We swept Baylor like 10 years in a row in the 2000's, not because of Barnes's brilliance, because Baylor was absolute crap. People like you wanna rake Shaka over the coals after every Big12 loss but you neglect to comprehend the fact that the Big12 Shaka has played in has been an insanely difficult conference and nothing like the one Rick played in, or the pathetic SWC that Penders played in. West Virginia is the #6 team in the country according to Pomeroy. This shit ain't easy, folks.

Uh... no.

Standing amid the dreary ashes of the men's basketball program at Texas, no one is asking for a coach who can overnight make us top 10, Big XII champions, or a Final Four team. We'd accept someone who can simply, IN YEAR FUCKING FIVE, field a team that doesn't look freakishly unfamiliar with the basics of successful basketball.

I don't think that's asking too much. I think any number of coaches not named Shaka could accomplish that. 

6 minutes ago, Tired Horn said:

And by the way, we didn't just lose to West Virginia.

We lost to them 97 -59. Figuring out what kind of shit we are is easy, folks. 

Blowouts happen. Even in the NBA. Wouldn't be a basketball season without 'em. Doesn't mean you fire your coach, especially when it's on the road to #6 in the country.

• Fuck You 5

Is CDC just waiting for the right time at the least reasonable cost?  I am thinking the boss wants the new coach to be brand new for the new arena?  New arena will be ready fall of 20 or 21? 

I would think that none of the BMDs will want Shaka here for the new arena, but they may not want to payoff Shaka until the new arena is right around the corner. 

2 minutes ago, Camelback80 said:

Blowouts happen. Even in the NBA. Wouldn't be a basketball season without 'em. Doesn't mean you fire your coach, especially when it's on the road to #6 in the country.

You seem to be missing the whole year 5 thing, the associated sustained lack of success, and the repeatedly unwatchable nature of the team under Shaka. 

3 minutes ago, Camelback80 said:

Um I mean if he is fired it is because of five years of being garbage not just this one garbage performance. 

i can easily name a dozen+ programs that, in the last 3-4 years, have fired their shitty coach and then pretty much immediately got better with a new coach. it's happening all over the country, except for here at Texas, where we continue to employ a completely hopeless and hapless fraud of a coach who was gifted a guaranteed contract. jimmyjazz is right- it would be damn near impossible to do worse than what Shaka has done during his time here. 

5 minutes ago, Tired Horn said:

You seem to be missing the whole year 5 thing, the associated sustained lack of success, and the repeatedly unwatchable nature of the team under Shaka. 

I enjoyed watching us beat Purdue with AJ icing it on the line. I enjoyed watching us beat the fuck out of the pokes in Stillwater. I enjoyed the 1st half vs KU. It's been a season of ups and downs. We just hit a fresh low for this season tonight, but that's college basketball for you. Strap in, the ride lasts through March.

• Fuck You 4

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

You might say that was different because of a scandal. I would ask what exactly you would call our play on the basketball court if not scandalous.

yeah, I wasn't including scandal which is the obvious caveat.  for just shitty performance I believe it is never.

2 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

I guess no fist bump and hook em emoji's from CDC's twitter tonight?

👊🤘

CDC just dicks around on twitter all day and and didnt have the balls to do his job last year in firing Shaka when we all knew this shit was gonna happen. This is a black mark for him. He better hope Herman works out or his seat is gonna get hot in a hurry. 

Edited by The_Great_Hornsby
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Camelback80 said:

have to give props, you are seriously into the role.  I'm talking high level Elia Kazan/Lee Strasburg type shit.

2 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

glad to know that a team full of vets still has a lot to learn about what it takes to play in the big xii. dope answer.

that is some fucking next level bullshit from a fraud who has no idea what he is doing. he doesn't know what is wrong.  holy crap.  yeah Shaka this shit is a turning point like turn and point yo shitty mid major ass back to virginia.   

he's just trolling at this point.  fuck him.

• Like 1

I expected the Providence game to be the biggest kick in the nuts this season, I was wrong. CDC better grow a pair and fire this fraud when the season is wrapped up. 22 point beat down at the hands of a terrible Providence team, Baylor played like shit and still bullied Shaka and now this.....a 38 point loss? I thought the end of the Rick Barnes era was miserable, but this is worse. Shaka hasn't sniffed a NCAA tourney win, there is a snowball's chance in hell that Texas makes the big dance this season. I'm sick to my stomach of watching Will Baker brick three after three, but that's the story of Shaka's tenure at Texas. Terrible 3 point shooters bricking threes game after game.

• Like 1

x/post from a different board that i post on:

Which really shows what a shambles our athletic department has been post-Dodds. Perrin was never qualified to be even an interim AD at a school like Texas, and that fully guaranteed extension after *one season* in which we went 0-2 in postseason play (both times as the favorite)  has set this program back immeasurably. Shaka would have been fired a year or two ago were it not for that ridiculous extension, and we've let plenty of good coaches get signed elsewhere during that time.

So, now it comes down to this- was CDC being honest when he said that we expect to have top 10 programs across the board, or does the fact that basketball revenue has more or less stayed the same trump actually trying to win basketball games? Fire Shaka now, name Yaklich interim HC, go after Beilein, Jay Wright, Chris Beard, Wojo, Anthony Grant, Michael White, Eric Musselman, hell, go after Bruce Pearl amd his cheating ass, it's college hoops! Nobody even cares! Just show that *you* care, and that our athletic department cares about getting our basketball program back on track, even if it costs "The Joneses" some extra money. 

credit to @Catdaddyhorn for making me realize that we absolutely should go after someone like Bruce Pearl. He would be amazing in Austin.

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 1

I'm even more disgusted looking at the all-time Texas recruits on the 247 site. Andrew Jones is 15, Will Baker is 17,  Ramey is 19, Liddell is 21, Sims is 23, Coleman is 24 and Jones is 25. Shaka has in his possession 7 of the teams 25 highest ranked recruits and that isn't even enough to make the big dance?

aDn5Gjb.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Iceman said:

The fact that you motherfuckers think Chris Beard will just come running will never get not-hilarious...

https://watchstadium.com/college-basketball-coaching-salary-and-buyout-database-for-2019-20-season-10-24-2019/

Good luck in your search...

who exactly thinks he will just come running? afaik everyone here knows that he's pretty much a pipe dream, but that doesn't mean you just ignore him/don't go after him. 

1 hour ago, Goo Punch said:

who exactly thinks he will just come running? afaik everyone here knows that he's pretty much a pipe dream, but that doesn't mean you just ignore him/don't go after him. 

It's deeper than that.  Why aren't Izzo, Coach K, or Calipari listed in the search?

It's just due diligence, right?  There is a substantial faction of UT fans who think Texas will get who they want because Texas wants them.  Beard is consistently listed as a candidate, even though his situation has virtually zero chance of improving, aside from straight salary/ income, and even that wouldn't be substantial.

The mindset is a big reason why it is so fun watching the coach searching threads in any  UT sport.  "We can have anyone we want..."  Well shit or get off the pot, then... Joneses.

Edited by Iceman

CDC just dicks around on twitter all day and and didnt have the balls to do his job last year in firing Shaka when we all knew this shit was gonna happen. This is a black mark for him. He better hope Herman works out or his seat is gonna get hot in a hurry. 

Oh...but have you seen him vigorously fighting off the fringe alternative football uniform element on Twitter? That’s some serious directing of athletics!

7 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

I’d call it theft. Shakas stealing millions from us.

20 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

I’d call it theft. Shakas stealing millions from us.

That’s what we do. We let Charlie do it. We let Mack do it for a few years. We let Rick do it for a few years. Connie Clark for 20 years. Gail Goestenkors. 

Being hired by Texas is a get rich scheme. 

Edited by Js1

4 hours ago, Iceman said:

The fact that you motherfuckers think Chris Beard will just come running will never get not-hilarious...

https://watchstadium.com/college-basketball-coaching-salary-and-buyout-database-for-2019-20-season-10-24-2019/

Good luck in your search...

1 hour ago, Iceman said:

It's deeper than that.  Why aren't Izzo, Coach K, or Calipari listed in the search?

It's just due diligence, right?  There is a substantial faction of UT fans who think Texas will get who they want because Texas wants them.  Beard is consistently listed as a candidate, even though his situation has virtually zero chance of improving, aside from straight salary/ income, and even that wouldn't be substantial.

The mindset is a big reason why it is so fun watching the coach searching threads in any  UT sport.  "We can have anyone we want..."  Well shit or get off the pot, then... Joneses.

Look at us! We're important! Talk about us! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

The number of people who think that are . . . zero?  Certainly not many.  Nice strawman, though.  Slorchman.

Why is it mentioned in the other post then? Huck and Jimmy...always out to correct me, but I didn’t bring it up.

8 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

glad to know that a team full of vets still has a lot to learn about what it takes to play in the big xii. dope answer.

We could have practically scripted this “act like a hardass and blame the players” stage of the season.

Speaking of things to learn, it’s year 5 and Shaka still hasn’t learned that scowling at TV cameras and blaming your players when shit goes sideways two months into the season doesn’t work when you spent every moment leading up to that being a soft, coddling, guidance counselor pussy.

8 hours ago, Camelback80 said:

Smart has a 33-45 Big 12 record in five seasons, has never won a single NCAA Tournament game and not once has competed for a Big 12 title despite having suited up three future first-round draft picks. He’s 15-32 against Top 25 opponents. Smart has three years remaining on a contract with a guaranteed buyout north of $9 million.

https://www.hookem.com/story/no-14-west-virginia-97-texas-59-humiliating-loss-turning-point-shaka-smart-horns/

2 hours ago, Iceman said:

You’re just making up stupid straw men all over the place. No one thinks the basketball program can just go get any coach they want. 

Yep.  I mentioned Beard first in the thread...  Did you read the post to which I was responding?  Hell, ai was just seeing who y’all were interested in.

Of course you ignored it...carry on.

Edited by Iceman

22 minutes ago, Iceman said:

Yep.  I mentioned Beard first in the thread...  Did you read the post to which I was responding?  Hell, ai was just seeing who y’all were interested in.

That post didn't say anything like "Chris Beard will just come running".  Don't blame us for your inability to characterize Texas fans.

8 hours ago, PilotsError said:

You people who haven't figured out camel is a troll need to catch up.

Tinfoil hat time, sorta. Nah, pretty sure he’s actually sincere. This goes back years. Anyone remember the VY destination threads? He was creepily obsessed with VY. He admitted to not being an alum, and becoming a fan of UT because of Vince.  He was also a vocal proponent of Charlie.

Oddly enough, don’t think I’ve ever seen him make a single comment about football since Charlie was fired. I think he’s a genuine dude who for whatever reason was/is really invested in our black coaching hires, and not so much into the university. My bold prediction is that if we fire Shaka and hire a white guy, camel will disappear for good (until VY destination talk picks back up).

I don’t really know why I remember all this. I think I picked up on it on TOS, and here we are years later, and he’s still all in on Shaka.

Troll or not, I applaud him for giving us such classics as “I told you so” and the story about crying in his car after VY lost a playoff game.

Edited by CurlyDumps

24 minutes ago, Iceman said:

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

That post didn't say anything like "Chris Beard will just come running".  Don't blame us for your inability to characterize Texas fans.

Yeah, the bullshit Iceman made up and what was actually said are very different. Somehow he can’t seem to figure that out.

27 minutes ago, Iceman said:

Literally fuck your own face

• Like 2

• immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic
  • immamac pinned and featured this topic
  • immamac unpinned this topic