Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

1 hour ago, Iceman said:

Why is it mentioned in the other post then? Huck and Jimmy...always out to correct me, but I didn’t bring it up.

So, the fact that it is "mentioned in the other post" = "you motherfuckers think Chris Beard will just come running"?

That is the definition of a strawman.

3 minutes ago, jeevsie said:

So was last night's game the equivalent of Strong's Kansas game?  I hope so.

I don't know that it's that extreme.  You have to remember that 2016 Kansas team, only won a single FBS/1-A game and that was over the Texas Longhorns (their other victory in an otherwise horrible season was over FCS/1-AA, Rhode Island).  They lost 8 of their 10 games by more than 14 points, including at home to Ohio University (Athens, not Columbus).  After that loss, Strong was a man without a country.  He lost every shred of support he had in our Athletic Department.  

Smart's last handful of supporters (read: deniers), and they do exist in Belmont, will point to the fact that WVU is a very good team this year and is almost assuredly going to be in the second weekend of the Tournament.  Although the 40 point road blowout is horrible looking to even the NIT selection committee, it'll be buried in a whole other mess of mid-season fuckups.  Strange as it sounds, Smart can still salvage 4 big 12 wins, and finish 16-16 which is technically good enough for an NIT or CBI bid.  So he'll still technically only have 1 losing season in 5 years.  Strong had 2 in 3 years.  Now I know .500 and obscure tournaments called CBI are not our standard, but that's what his supporters will look at.  I think we've still yet to see the bottom for Smart's team this year though, sadly.  

6 hours ago, Iceman said:

The fact that you motherfuckers think Chris Beard will just come running will never get not-hilarious...

https://watchstadium.com/college-basketball-coaching-salary-and-buyout-database-for-2019-20-season-10-24-2019/

Good luck in your search...

$5M buy out does not seem that unreasonable. In general, I would think that most coaches would not want switch jobs to another team in the same conference.  I really can’t think of many examples where that has happened.  Bruce Pearl was fired at Tennessee and ended up at Auburn which is different than voluntarily leaving.   Houston Nutt left Arkansas for Mississippi.  

Some KU fans who believe Bill Self is plateauing or may be forced to leave because of pending NCAA investigation thing Chris Beard and/ or Brad Stevens would take the KU job in a second, which is quite delusional in my view. 

from an old school perspective, this is not quite the same as Abe Lemons' last year.  That team totally collapsed, losing something like 13 of its last 15.  Shaka should be judged on his entire 5 years, and I think all you have to do is look at the conference record.   

I think the NIT business last year, kind of gave CDC an excuse to not take action.  It also made CDC's job more difficult.  He would have to raise money to buy out a coach who was coming off of winning x number of games in a row.  

Does the team need to crater for CDC to make a decision or can he make a decision based on a five year record? 

I wonder if someone like Shaka is concerned bout his professional reputation, if he sticks around just to collect the dough?   Iow, could there possibly be some negotiating?  Is there a chance Shaka could retain some credibility if he resigns and takes a smaller payoff?  

It was not so much the opponent or even the point difference last night that was the nail in the coffin.  It was the recurrent lack of a plan the players could execute / comprehend, lack of energy, lack of passion, lack of basic fundamentals, lack of discipline, lack of adjustments to adversity, and absence of basic common sense exhibited by coach and players.  It was also the coach's recurrent in-game, defeated body language and recurrent post-game excuse of not having his players properly prepared.

Even with the same end result last night, I would have been a vast improvement in my book for Shaka to call a timeout to chew his players asses about lack of aggression, chew the refs out about some of the imbalanced foul calling, and get T'd-up and booted from the game before half time.  That would have at least shown some fire and passion and maybe some of his players would have fed off of it.... something to have shown us you "want it".

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Red Five said:

What's the monetary difference in firing him on January 21st vs firing him in March? 

Since the money is guaranteed, nothing beyond what might happen if someone (Yaklich, Berry, whoever) is named interim HC and potentially getting some sort of pay bump if they have that contingency in their contract.

I would imagine the main counter-argument to firing him now - aside from the "Texas doesn't do this" one mentioned earlier - is trying to keep players from portaling before the new HC is selected; any time you bring a new HC in the whole program is overhauled, and it might not be wise to kneecap the incoming HC with a roster that's already half-gone. We saw what happened to Texas when Shaka's first class was underwhelming (in part due to having to hold Barnes' last class together) then the next year he lost half the roster to graduation; if there's a way to make that transition smoother for the new coach it would be worth considering. Maybe the new coach doesn't want any of the existing players, but at least give him the choice to retain them. Like people have noted, the money on Shaka is already spent; paving the way for the replacement to hit the ground running is probably a wise strategy.

Edited by Bitterwhiteguy

11 minutes ago, VinyVango said:

It was not so much the opponent or even the point difference last night that was the nail in the coffin.  It was the recurrent lack of a plan the players could execute / comprehend, lack of energy, lack of passion, lack of basic fundamentals, lack of discipline, lack of adjustments to adversity, and absence of basic common sense exhibited by coach and players.  It was also the coach's recurrent in-game, defeated body language and recurrent post-game excuse of not having his players properly prepared.

Even with the same end result last night, I would have been a vast improvement in my book for Shaka to call a timeout to chew his players asses about lack of aggression, chew the refs out about some of the imbalanced foul calling, and get T'd-up and booted from the game before half time.  That would have at least shown some fire and passion and maybe some of his players would have fed off of it.... something to have shown us you "want it".

Woah woah woah, you expect guys to be able to pass the ball to their teammates? And dribble while standing still without losing the ball off their own foot? And at least hit the rim with their shitty 3 point attempts? And not just quit in the middle of the 1st half? 

22 minutes ago, Bitterwhiteguy said:

Since the money is guaranteed, nothing beyond what might happen if someone (Yaklich, Berry, whoever) is named interim HC and potentially getting some sort of pay bump if they have that contingency in their contract.

I would imagine the main counter-argument to firing him now - aside from the "Texas doesn't do this" one mentioned earlier - is trying to keep players from portaling before the new HC is selected; any time you bring a new HC in the whole program is overhauled, and it might not be wise to kneecap the incoming HC with a roster that's already half-gone. We saw what happened to Texas when Shaka's first class was underwhelming (in part due to having to hold Barnes' last class together) then the next year he lost half the roster to graduation; if there's a way to make that transition smoother for the new coach it would be worth considering. Maybe the new coach doesn't want any of the existing players, but at least give him the choice to retain them. Like people have noted, the money on Shaka is already spent; paving the way for the replacement to hit the ground running is probably a wise strategy.

It is frankly shocking to me that 7 of the dudes on this roster are among Texas' top 25 recruits since '04 or whenever 247 started tracking it. This year and next year are when this roster should be peaking, right? Surely the next coach could make this group competitive. If it were me, I'd make Yak the interim, bring in a former player that can act as a cheerleader for Texas and bring some chops to the offense (TJ Ford is so obvious it hurts;  DJ Augustin could be perfect but he's STILL in the NBA), and just roll the dice with the portal. The team cratering under shaka would surely make players miserable and portal bound anyway, right? At this point the poor fucking fans deserve some blood.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, B00M said:

f it were me, I'd make Yak the interim, bring in a former player that can act as a cheerleader for Texas and bring some chops to the offense (TJ Ford is so obvious it hurts;  DJ Augustin could be perfect but he's STILL in the NBA), and just roll the dice with the portal.

That would feel satisfying to us as fans, but it doesn't really benefit CDC in any way unless he genuinely wants Yaklich to be the next (non-interim) head coach. 

• Like 1

On a totally unrelated note, Texas Athletics reporting that although we just broke ground on the new Moody Center...there is already a $10.5mm over budget situation with the roof that needs to be addressed in the next 8 weeks.  Very critical infrastructure being discussed.  Right at $10.5mm that is being sourced as we speak.  I’m glad they caught it before anything bad happened.  

anyway, what’s going with our coaching?  Looks like the scheme isn’t really working on either end of the court.  

1 hour ago, Bitterwhiteguy said:

Give Yaklich a shot now.  He coached with Beilein and seems to be a sharp guy.  It's a soft hand off during the season and we may possibly keep some talent around while we see what Yak can do.  Maybe he can dance like Shaka did after defeating McNeese St.. and the players will like him.  I'd love to see what this roster could do with an actual coach.

Edited by 2300 Nueces

11 hours ago, dcar00 said:

that is some fucking next level bullshit from a fraud who has no idea what he is doing. he doesn't know what is wrong.  holy crap.  yeah Shaka this shit is a turning point like turn and point yo shitty mid major ass back to virginia.   

he's just trolling at this point.  fuck him.

Shaka knows precisely what's wrong--the other teams are scoring more points than we are. That's why he's a "brilliant" coach. 

He just hangs around waiting to see if that changes. Besides which he doesn't really care--he gets paid whether we win or not.

54 minutes ago, Lobo said:

On a totally unrelated note, Texas Athletics reporting that although we just broke ground on the new Moody Center...there is already a $10.5mm over budget situation with the roof that needs to be addressed in the next 8 weeks.  Very critical infrastructure being discussed.  Right at $10.5mm that is being sourced as we speak.  I’m glad they caught it before anything bad happened.  

anyway, what’s going with our coaching?  Looks like the scheme isn’t really working on either end of the court.  

$10.5? You don't say.

There hasn't been any break-ins at the Moody Foundation recently, has there? Perhaps a window of time during which the building plans went missing?

17 hours ago, dcar00 said:

maybe TJ can help lead the committee.  please not blanks.

The last time I heard, TJ Ford was one of the guys pushing the "why doesn't Texas look at Royal Ivey" agenda. Not sure he's still on that, but that wasn't long ago. Ivey hasn't exactly covered himself in glory with the Knicks, but hey, maybe he's all the things he wouldn't want to do if he were in charge. 

17 hours ago, Camelback80 said:

I would love for TJ to get a chance. The fact of the matter is though firing Shaka and hiring someone new is no guarantee of greater things for this program. Changing coaches isn't going to suddenly make Baylor suck again, make Texas Tech a cupcake on the schedule, or make the blue-hairs holding all the courtside tickets stand up and be loud, or make our fan base savvy about bball. There are bigger obstacles at work here. You can't really fault Shaka's recruiting, and there is still half a season to go before talk of firing.

15 hours ago, Camelback80 said:

Lol, changing coaches is NO guarantee of better success for this program. That's a FACT. You can argue it improves the chances if you want but it ain't no guarantee and far from it. Penders was crap, dude. He lucked in to Travis Mays, Blanks, Wright and company and had 1 good year. Barnes got to play in an era of the Big12 when it was full of weak teams. We swept Baylor like 10 years in a row in the 2000's, not because of Barnes's brilliance, because Baylor was absolute crap. People like you wanna rake Shaka over the coals after every Big12 loss but you neglect to comprehend the fact that the Big12 Shaka has played in has been an insanely difficult conference and nothing like the one Rick played in, or the pathetic SWC that Penders played in. West Virginia is the #6 team in the country according to Pomeroy. This shit ain't easy, folks.

14 hours ago, Camelback80 said:

Blowouts happen. Even in the NBA. Wouldn't be a basketball season without 'em. Doesn't mean you fire your coach, especially when it's on the road to #6 in the country.

Hahahahahahaha. Holy shit. This cannot be a troll. It's too passionate with its posts. Going on ignore nonetheless, but holy fuck.

21 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

the "why doesn't Texas look at Royal Ivey" agenda.

I don't personally feel like that will improve our ability to look like a well-coached basketball team, but maybe wanting to look well-coached is passe. Juwan Howard and Penny Hardaway are college head coaches, after all. 

1 hour ago, SwanderedTalent said:

I don't personally feel like that will improve our ability to look like a well-coached basketball team, but maybe wanting to look well-coached is passe. Juwan Howard and Penny Hardaway are college head coaches, after all. 

Sadly for us, looking coached at all would be a step up.

Roughly half our baseball revenue goes to pay David Pierce's salary.

Roughly half our basketball revenue goes to pay Shaka Smart's salary.  He is currently #17 in the country by salary.

I refuse to believe there aren't a shit-ton of more qualified coaches making less than Shaka's salary, like Jamie Dixon, who could not be money-whipped to come here and at least build us into respectability.  I have no idea what Mark Few is waiting for -- maybe he has contract details that aren't public, or maybe he just doesn't care about being anything beyond "rich".  For fuck's sake, we could double Wojo's salary and save almost $1M per year.

This is insane.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Iceman said:

Yep.  I mentioned Beard first in the thread...  Did you read the post to which I was responding?  Hell, ai was just seeing who y’all were interested in.

Of course you ignored it...carry on.

Hell I am at the point where it is just  wishful thinking Shaka might be fired and we will have a coaching search at all.

I'm not a "write a letter" guy usually, and would never do it for football because I know there are thousands of others who already have.  I wonder though if CDC really hears the unrest from the hoops fans or is attendance the main signal (really this should be enough, but revenue vs attendance has been discussed).  So I wrote my disappointment email this morning and got a call back from Del Conte about an hour later but I was unfortunately on a conference call so only got a voicemail and when I tried to call back got his secretary.  I suppose you only get one shot at a conversation and I missed it.

I know for football he called people back and hammered the continuity point.  Really wanted to see what he might say about the basketball program.  At 5 years, continuity is definitely not the issue.  Anyway just wanted him to know that some people do care about basketball and we're not happy.  

• Like 6

20 hours ago, dcar00 said:

that is some fucking next level bullshit from a fraud who has no idea what he is doing. he doesn't know what is wrong.  holy crap.  yeah Shaka this shit is a turning point like turn and point yo shitty mid major ass back to virginia.   

he's just trolling at this point.  fuck him.

Basketball Potato

18 hours ago, Chad said:

I expected the Providence game to be the biggest kick in the nuts this season, I was wrong. CDC better grow a pair and fire this fraud when the season is wrapped up. 22 point beat down at the hands of a terrible Providence team, Baylor played like shit and still bullied Shaka and now this.....a 38 point loss? I thought the end of the Rick Barnes era was miserable, but this is worse. Shaka hasn't sniffed a NCAA tourney win, there is a snowball's chance in hell that Texas makes the big dance this season. I'm sick to my stomach of watching Will Baker brick three after three, but that's the story of Shaka's tenure at Texas. Terrible 3 point shooters bricking threes game after game.

What "incentive" is there for CDC to "grow a pair"?

How often do high level administrators walk back mistakes?

He is playing with house money and has to listen to the house. The house is letting this shitshow happen. 

Its the BMDs call.

18 minutes ago, PantsTent said:

I'm not a "write a letter" guy usually, and would never do it for football because I know there are thousands of others who already have.  I wonder though if CDC really hears the unrest from the hoops fans or is attendance the main signal (really this should be enough, but revenue vs attendance has been discussed).  So I wrote my disappointment email this morning and got a call back from Del Conte about an hour later but I was unfortunately on a conference call so only got a voicemail and when I tried to call back got his secretary.  I suppose you only get one shot at a conversation and I missed it.

I know for football he called people back and hammered the continuity point.  Really wanted to see what he might say about the basketball program.  At 5 years, continuity is definitely not the issue.  Anyway just wanted him to know that some people do care about basketball and we're not happy.  

This isn't 1970.

Basketball and baseball matter to some extent. With what is being paid to coaches in the major sports, there should be an expectation of much better performance. But accountability is a hollow word on the 40 acres for some reason. Crazy.

Basketball has always been 3rd after football and baseball.  I’m starting to think about it from an ad point of view.  As long as a decent amount of fans show up, why change?  History is there.  A long time ago, women outdrew men, and bob weltlich was finally let go.  

If only 3000 fans show on a regular basis, maybe he does something.  Are we there yet?  Maybe that and a losing season is what it takes.  

basketball is ahead of baseball and has been for as long as i've been alive. this was only amplified tenfold after Rick, TJ, KD, etc. actually, since KD it's more like a millionfold. hoops is immeasurably bigger than baseball at UT. 

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, orangecat92 said:

Basketball has always been 3rd after football and baseball.  I’m starting to think about it from an ad point of view.  As long as a decent amount of fans show up, why change?  History is there.  A long time ago, women outdrew men, and bob weltlich was finally let go.  

If only 3000 fans show on a regular basis, maybe he does something.  Are we there yet?  Maybe that and a losing season is what it takes.  

I don't agree with that. The Baseball program has significantly more hardware, but Basketball blew up in popularity after TJ Ford and the Final 4 run.

8 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

i think your sarcasm meter is broken there pal

No kidding.

Doesn't matter anyway, slorch has assured us there's no way he'd ever consider leaving exciting and beautiful Lubbock for the hideous environs of Austin, anyway.

I'd like to see more revenue detail.  I'm not sure it's reasonable to compare current revenue (with reduced turnstile attendance) to prior revenue with more butts in the seats.  

It's hard for me to imagine that losing something like 3,000 paying customers per home game doesn't matter.  That's over $0.5M in lost revenue, and possibly close to $1M, just on tickets alone.  It may not justify a $10M buyout on a pure cost basis, but eventually we have to consider the permanence of diminishing fan interest, which includes merchandise, etc.

2 hours ago, utee94 said:

No kidding.

Doesn't matter anyway, slorch has assured us there's no way he'd ever consider leaving exciting and beautiful Lubbock for the hideous environs of Austin, anyway.

He;s dating the girl's volleyball coach at a local high school. im sure she could relocate. but maybe she doesnt.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

He;s dating the girl's volleyball coach at a local high school. im sure she could relocate. but maybe she doesnt.

There are not any girl's volleyball coaches at high schools in Austin so I'm certain there is zero allure to this town for him. 

• Like 1

• immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic
  • immamac pinned and featured this topic
  • immamac unpinned this topic